Texas Fishing Forum

jig rod

Posted By: Crick

jig rod - 07/13/20 02:59 PM

I am looking for a light jig rod that is not real heavy. I am 72 and just do not have the feeling in my hands that i use too. Also being retired their is a cost is a factor also.
Thanks Guys
Posted By: CB-52

Re: jig rod - 07/13/20 03:13 PM

the two lightest rods i’ve felt for a reasonable price are the phenix feather and the shimano zodias they both come in at under 200 if you are looking for one cheaper some of the academy rods are solid and feel pretty light
Posted By: fisherinok

Re: jig rod - 07/13/20 03:19 PM

It would be useful to know the price range and other rods you have fished that are considered heavy. The Phenix Feathers are nice at $110 but you have to watch their powers since they are lighter than advertised, the Tatulas are nice for alittle more money and then you get into the $200 dollar range where it really opens up. At the $250 mark it is tough to beat a Shimano Expride.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: jig rod - 07/13/20 03:37 PM

Don't overlook the reel. Most rods weigh within a ounce or so of one another but reels can vary by several ounces.
Posted By: Crick

Re: jig rod - 07/14/20 12:33 PM

Thanks my max would be $250, i have looked at the shimano expride, and still just shopping around. Once again Thanks
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: jig rod - 07/14/20 12:50 PM

I use a Berkley lightning rod that I got about 11 years ago. Light, strong, sensitive, and it cost around $30. You could pay a lot more and still not have a rod any better in my opinion.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: jig rod - 07/14/20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
I use a Berkley lightning rod that I got about 11 years ago. Light, strong, sensitive, and it cost around $30. You could pay a lot more and still not have a rod any better in my opinion.

Haha. Best rod out there....FOR THIRTY BUCKS!!
Posted By: DCJohnson

Re: jig rod - 07/14/20 10:04 PM

Lot of great rods out there, but I'm partial to Dobyns. The Champion XP 704 or 705 (depending on how big a jig you plan to throw) is a great rod for $250. The Dobyns Sierra 704 or 705 for $170 is also a great rod for the money at $170.
Posted By: LFA17

Re: jig rod - 07/14/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crick
I am looking for a light jig rod that is not real heavy. I am 72 and just do not have the feeling in my hands that i use too. Also being retired their is a cost is a factor also.
Thanks Guys

I'm 76 and I have looked and tried a lot of rods for light jigs and/or other bottom baits. I reach for my Falcon Lowrider finesse jig rod every time I can. You can get it in the Bucoo, Lowrider, or Expert versions. Very light and very well balanced. Mine are paired with shimano and daiwa light weight baitcasters. 20 or 30 pound braid with about 6 foot of 12 or 14 lb fluorocarbon leaders tied with crazy alberto knots. Use it on Fork every week. Dobyns makes an outstanding line of lightweight rods too. I love the 704 Champion for bottom baits. It is a little pricier, but worth it in my book. Both companies understand the importance of balance in a rod. The post about the berkley lightning rod is right on the money. I still have some from circa 1984.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: jig rod - 07/15/20 12:21 PM

Falco lowrider lizard dragger works good. $129 I don't know if they make a head turner or Amistad in lowrider. I use my lizard dragger or a Dobyns most of the time.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: jig rod - 07/15/20 12:50 PM

Falcon Caras are coming back. You might check into them.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: jig rod - 07/16/20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Crick
Thanks my max would be $250, i have looked at the shimano expride, and still just shopping around. Once again Thanks

You cannot go wrong with the Expride. Great rod & very light.
Posted By: GHSTgoesBOO

Re: jig rod - 07/17/20 04:08 PM

Out of the box, Dobyns 744. Or I can custom build a set up, and most of my rigs are around 4 oz.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum