Texas Fishing Forum

Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni

Posted By: Champion1

Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 05:03 PM

Had a good practice found a area with several big ones in it caught a 5 and a 3 in 30 minutes thought we’d were in good shape for the tourney as we were using a totally technique from everyone else. Tourney day the rain the other night turned it muddy but slogged it out for over 8 pounds. How did you guys do?
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 05:15 PM

We sucked then we continued to suck then we finished the day still sucking. Fished some of the most awesome looking stuff and still sucked! Good news is the heat wasn't near as bad as we thought it would be thanks to that wind.

Enjoyed the season and look forward to the championship wherever it ends up being.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 05:28 PM

Put in at Duck Cove. Figured we be fishing alone. (Yea. Right)

Started out with top water and frogs in the Lilly pads. Two blow ups. Must have been perch, cause they weren’t big enough to eat the frog. Went skipping docks. At 8:30, finally caught one. It was in 6”-10” of water along a rock retaining wall. Then went across the lake....skipped more docks....caught more small fish. By 1pm, I suggested going back to the pads to see if they were under them....nope. So, with 45 minutes to fish, we started fishing the bridge next to Duck Cove. Within 15 minutes we figured out the color and presentation speed and boated three for 7.55. All three died on way to weigh in. Never had a livewell valve leak before. And it doesn’t this morning after looking it over. I think it had a small rock in the valve that prevented it from fully seating in a closed position. Gave up the 1-1/2 pound penalty and went on down the road. Kinda sucks that I went under that bridge 6 times during the day and didn’t think to fish it till I was out of ideas. I think I could have caught fish there all day and really helped my standings. But...everything I fished looked like it should have held quality fish.

First time ever on twok. Next time I will do better.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 05:33 PM

.....and to think I could have slept in till noon and drove out there and fished 30 minutes with the same results . roflmao
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
.....and to think I could have slept in till noon and drove out there and fished 30 minutes with the same results . roflmao

lol.....
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 08:00 PM

It’s was our first time on the lake, fist 30 minutes out one over 4 in the boat never another bite the rest of the day. I guess I caught a dumb fish. We needed to fish it to qualify and we got to spend a few days over at Fork and caught some fish and ate at Seth’s so it was good deal to get out of west Texas for a few days.
Posted By: Fordntriton

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 08:39 PM

Great pre-fishing week before. Winds and bad decisions equal bad results
Posted By: Fordntriton

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 08:41 PM

Carolina rigged a white/red bobber with a 3/0 hook and caught 25. Three best went 19 but our livewells didn’t work so we threw them back. Sucks, we could have won it
Posted By: doctorb

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 09:34 PM

Started out with top water and frogs in the Lilly pads. Two blow ups. Must have been perch, cause they weren’t big enough to eat the frog. Went skipping docks. At 8:30, finally caught one. It was in 6”-10” of water along a rock retaining wall. Then went across the lake....skipped more docks....caught more small fish. By 1pm, I suggested going back to the pads to see if they were under them....nope. So, with 45 minutes to fish, we started fishing the bridge next to Duck Cove. Within 15 minutes we figured out the color and presentation speed and boated three for 7.55. All three died on way to weigh in. Never had a livewell valve leak before. And it doesn’t this morning after looking it over. I think it had a small rock in the valve that prevented it from fully seating in a closed position. Gave up the 1-1/2 pound penalty and went on down the road. Kinda sucks that I went under that bridge 6 times during the day and didn’t think to fish it till I was out of ideas. I think I could have caught fish there all day and really helped my standings. But...everything I fished looked like it should have held quality fish.

I’m sure you’re not the only one with dead fish. It’s just too hot out there to keep fish alive right now.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by doctorb

I’m sure you’re not the only one with dead fish. It’s just too hot out there to keep fish alive right now.

Not in all cases, it’s harder on the deep fish. We had a 4lbr in the live we’ll all day, caught it in a foot of water so that fish was acclimated to water temp. When we released it it was plenty pissed and full of life, I guess those Caymas livewells work pretty good.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 21xs Elite
Originally Posted by doctorb

Not in all cases, it’s harder on the deep fish. We had a 4lbr in the live we’ll all day, caught it in a foot of water so that fish was acclimated to water temp. When we released it it was plenty pissed and full of life, I guess those Caymas livewells work pretty good.

Heat didn’t kill my fish. Zero water did. Livewell valve let me down.

On a side note, we tried to ask what the cutoff was for checks...even an estimate. They had no idea. They did wind up texting everyone, but I was pulling in at that time. If I knew it was not even close, I’d have turned the fish loose before loading the boat. When I loaded the boat, livewell was overflowing with fresh water and the fish were happy. Somewhere along the 15 minute drive, all water was lost, and the fish were no longer happy.

At least it was only a few 2-1/2 pounders.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 10:55 PM

Steez will it be an easy repair or is your boat one that you’d like to kick the designers ace

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
Steez will it be an easy repair or is your boat one that you’d like to kick the designers ace

It’s fine this morning. I filled them with water and ran the recirculating pump on constant for 30 minutes without a drop lost. I think it either had a small rock in the valve seat or the boat shaking on the trailer caused it to leak.

As for the design of the boat? I made it much worse. I have to remove four batteries, two chargers, two PowerPole pumps, and an access plate just to TOUCH a pump. Probably need one of those mission impossible body hoists things that Tom cruise used to actually replace them. I’d have to hang down from my shop ceiling. Ha.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/12/20 11:27 PM

lol.....

clap

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/13/20 12:36 AM

It’s fine this morning. I filled them with water and ran the recirculating pump on constant for 30 minutes without a drop lost. I think it either had a small rock in the valve seat or the boat shaking on the trailer caused it to leak.

As for the design of the boat? I made it much worse. I have to remove four batteries, two chargers, two PowerPole pumps, and an access plate just to TOUCH a pump. Probably need one of those mission impossible body hoists things that Tom cruise used to actually replace them. I’d have to hang down from my shop ceiling. Ha.

So you are the designer that needs an ace kickin!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/13/20 03:56 PM

I had a boater I drew do that at tawakoni, caught a good kicker first thing then made a long run but forgot his flowrite valve was on empty, sucked all the water out. Went to check on his fish awhile later and about turned pale white, I still don't know how that fish didn't die but he filled her back up and the fish made it to weigh in.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/13/20 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
I had a boater I drew do that at tawakoni, caught a good kicker first thing then made a long run but forgot his flowrite valve was on empty, sucked all the water out. Went to check on his fish awhile later and about turned pale white, I still don't know how that fish didn't die but he filled her back up and the fish made it to weigh in.

I did that with 3 fish once. Mine was a short ride and I happened to check on the fish as I came off plane. Lucky all 3 were OK.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/13/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trickster
Originally Posted by SC-001

I did that with 3 fish once. Mine was a short ride and I happened to check on the fish as I came off plane. Lucky all 3 were OK.

Happened to me for the first time Saturday. I always close the livewells when I put the boat in the lake, after catching the first keeper, my dad "closed" the valves. We ran a few minutes across the lake and I heard something and looked. Luckily we didn't run far when it happened.
Posted By: hawkeye442

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/13/20 04:58 PM

My 13yr old Son, caught a 5.5 right off the bat, I thought we were on easy street, as to how productive our practice the Weekend before was.. Struggled to catch 3 more tiny fish the rest of the day. Went thru Quinlan and pulled the boat thru Whataburger like everyone else. Sure they were wondering what the f#$%! was going on, lol!
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/13/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fordntriton
Carolina rigged a white/red bobber with a 3/0 hook and caught 25. Three best went 19 but our livewells didn’t work so we threw them back. Sucks, we could have won it

Of course
roflmao
Posted By: bobcat4118

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Tawakoni - 07/14/20 01:55 PM

We had the strangest day of fishing I've ever had in 30+ years. We got on a frog bite 1st thing that morning and it lasted until 2pm!!! Crazy part.... We only boated 2 dang fish! These bass were bitting super aggressive but Would NOT eat it. We threw every type, color, style, and kind of frog made, and it didn't help. Out of 30+ blow ups, we had 1 fish come back and bite on the follow up cast. They wouldn't touch anything else we threw at them "which was basically everything in the boat" I'm still scratching my damn head.... We threw our 4 pounder back and headed home at 2:00
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum