Texas Fishing Forum

Technique specific rods

Posted By: wh2004

Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 05:29 AM

About a year ago I made a post on here asking about the best all around combo. Now I want to start getting technique specific. I’m not real versed on what action/power is best for what though.
Please Can someone either
1. Make a general list of best power/action/gear ratios per technique
Or
2. List a rod manufacturer that sells labeled technique specific rods in the $100 or less range.

Thank you!
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by wh2004
About a year ago I made a post on here asking about the best all around combo. Now I want to start getting technique specific. I’m not real versed on what action/power is best for what though.
Or
2. List a rod manufacturer that sells labeled technique specific rods in the $100 or less range.

Thank you!

these are labeled and accurate, that said the mh can do most anything for texas sized bass. I use the 7 1 moderate for all my cranking and a 7 6 moderate for larger cranks, spinner baits etc.

A little over your price range but great rods with great warranty, anything happens you cut the split w part number send it in and pay 60 plus shipping for the replacement. I stack up my broke splits and send them in once a year or so. 5 this last time.

https://www.fxcustomrods.com/
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 08:42 AM

You'll be better off reading some articles on rod selection and then you'll know what power and action you need for a given specific purpose, and which rods can do several things. This will prevent you from being limited to shopping only rods labeled for a specific purpose. Many catalogs have a column with such an application list. As an example, the Dobyn's Rods catalogs list the best matched purposes for each rod they sell. You could use their catalog (download) to learn about what rod does what for a baseline starting point. Each angler will realize over time he/she has particular preferences regardless of the "rules".
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 01:54 PM

Or

Thank you!

You are going to be very limited on rod companies at $100 or less. I understand if you are on a budget and need to stay in a specific price range on your equipment but you may want to look at the Academy H20 rods or similar. I select rods based on how they feel to me. I am less concerned about the technique label on the rod. Pick up the rod, flex it against the floor or wall. If it feels good buy it.

As far as reels & gear ratios go, I like a fast ratio for baits I move with the rod like soft plastics & jigs because at times the fish picks up the bait & comes at you before you set the hook and you have to play catch up. A 7:1 or 8:1 comes in handy for this. For small cranks, bladed jigs & spinnerbaits I like a 6:1. For big deepdivers I like a 5.5 or 6:1.
Posted By: Fordntriton

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 08:58 PM

As far as reels & gear ratios go, I like a fast ratio for baits I move with the rod like soft plastics & jigs because at times the fish picks up the bait & comes at you before you set the hook and you have to play catch up. A 7:1 or 8:1 comes in handy for this. For small cranks, bladed jigs & spinnerbaits I like a 6:1. For big deepdivers I like a 5.5 or 6:1.

This
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 09:33 PM

Technique specific rod for under $100. Spinning rod for crappie. If you are looking at a rod that is $100 or less do not ask what is the best out there. The best out there is way over $100. If that is your limit, that is fine, so I would suggest either looking at what Academy has to offer or buy used rods. There are plenty of them for sale on fishing forums. Technique specific also would depend on what "technique" you are wanting to fish so start there and let us know what exact technique you are talking about. There are many different techniques to use fishing for bass.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Or

Thank you!

these are labeled and accurate, that said the mh can do most anything for texas sized bass. I use the 7 1 moderate for all my cranking and a 7 6 moderate for larger cranks, spinner baits etc.

A little over your price range but great rods with great warranty, anything happens you cut the split w part number send it in and pay 60 plus shipping for the replacement. I stack up my broke splits and send them in once a year or so. 5 this last time.

WOW you must be very hard on your rods if you broke at least 5 of these rods. I have several of them and really like them, very durable and they have great flex as well as backbone. Awesome rods. I have 12 of them and never had an issue with a single one.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fordntriton

This

Thank you. This helps alot.
Posted By: Fordntriton

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 10:07 PM

I’ve got about about 30 Shimano zodias rods in like new condition I’m about to sell. $100 each

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Technique specific rod for under $100. Spinning rod for crappie. If you are looking at a rod that is $100 or less do not ask what is the best out there. The best out there is way over $100. If that is your limit, that is fine, so I would suggest either looking at what Academy has to offer or buy used rods. There are plenty of them for sale on fishing forums. Technique specific also would depend on what "technique" you are wanting to fish so start there and let us know what exact technique you are talking about. There are many different techniques to use fishing for bass.

Sorry For the confusion. I didn’t ask for the best rod. I asked for the best action/power per technique. OR a brand that lists techniques on their rods (there may not be any in that price range).

To answer your question, I find that my go tos are mostly drop shot, shallow to about 12 ft crankbaits, rattletrap, weightless fluke.
I’ve tried Texas rig and Carolina rig some but not confident in them so don’t use often. I want to try football jigs.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 10:28 PM

H2O Express makes rods that have technique labels on them but I will tell you a secret. A rod per technique is totally opinion based. Most of my Falcons have a technique on them and the only one that I think fits is the crankbait rod. Not that they wont perform for what they say but I like what I like and you will too. Point is, dont put much thought into anything but the rod action and the length. If you want to step up your budget to about 140-150 you will expand your selection a ton. The h2o rods arent bad though and neither are the all stars that academy carries

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 10:33 PM

That makes sense. Thank you.
In general, what do y’all like for action and length for the few things I throw that I put in my last post.
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 10:45 PM

What technique are you wanting a combo for first? I’d recommend upping your price range maybe $30 to get a falcon lowrider. They’re pretty straight forward, and list the technique for each rod on their website.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 11:03 PM

In general, what do y’all like for action and length for the few things I throw that I put in my last post.

Football jig/Carolina rig= 7'3" heavy (will also use for a big worm)
Lighter texas rigs=7' heavy
Fluke/trap/spinnerbait/just all around rod=7'mh
Drop shot=6'10" shakey head jig lowrider falcon(not sure of the action)

Keep in mind different manufacturers actions wont be the same. Falcons seem lighter compared to other rods of the same action

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by the skipper

Football jig/Carolina rig= 7'3" heavy (will also use for a big worm)
Lighter texas rigs=7' heavy
Fluke/trap/spinnerbait/just all around rod=7'mh
Drop shot=6'10" shakey head jig lowrider falcon(not sure of the action)

Keep in mind different manufacturers actions wont be the same. Falcons seem lighter compared to other rods of the same action

Thank you sir. That gives me a place to start.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Sorry For the confusion. I didn’t ask for the best rod. I asked for the best action/power per technique. OR a brand that lists techniques on their rods (there may not be any in that price range).

To answer your question, I find that my go tos are mostly drop shot, shallow to about 12 ft crankbaits, rattletrap, weightless fluke.
I’ve tried Texas rig and Carolina rig some but not confident in them so don’t use often. I want to try football jigs.

Ok best for the technique you want to fish depends a lot on you. There are many good rod brands out there that will work so i won't go into that. I will just suggest to you what I like best for the techniques you want to fish. You will have to choose the brand that fits you best. For a Drop Shot I use a 6ft 8in -7ft rods. Rod lure weight rating is around 1/8-1/2 oz or a 2 or 3 power rating if the rod is listed like that.
For crank baits shallow to 12ft I like a 7ft crank bait rod. I like a blend of glass and graphite. Some people like all glass and others prefer all graphite so you will have to see what you like best. Weightless fluke I like a 6ft 8 in rod in a 4 power because I use a 4/0 hook and I like to work it with the tip pointed down toward the water so that is why I use a rod shorter than 7ft.
Football jigs I use a 7ft 3in to 7ft 6in rod in a H action.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 11:13 PM

Awesome thank you

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 11:25 PM

Another thing to know is that rods vary from one brand to brand so if you can hold one in your hand and check out the action that would be better than just by going with the lure rating on the rod because they all do not have the same flex to them even though they have the same lure weight rating. Then you have the "action" of the rod. Parabolic which is what you want for a cranking, top water, type rod. It flexes way down the blank which is usually considered a medium action rod. Drop shot would be either a light action or medium light. Heavy action is what you want for larger baits like the football head jig and large worms where you plan on using a 4/0 or larger hook. Good all around rod actions would be a M/H also designated as a 3 or 4 power rod. The 3 power rod usually has a lure weight rating ending in 3/4 oz and the 4 power usually ends with a 1oz lure rating. You can fish a lot of different techniques with a 3 and 4 power rod. I use a 4 power rod for my Carolina rig but i use a long rod. It is a Dobyns 784 so it has good flex and still plenty of backbone and since it is 7ft 8in in length it can deliver a very long cast. Keep practicing with the Carolina rig because it is a good way to catch fish. After you get the hand of it, it may become your second favorite behind the drop shot.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/12/20 11:26 PM

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/rodselection.html

This is a good read for understanding what an action is.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/13/20 05:37 PM

What line would you recommend for this application?

“ Fluke/trap/spinnerbait/just all around rod=7'mh ”

Find a rod I like at academy that should fit the bill for this. The highest gear ratio reel they had in stock was 7.1 so I picked it up. I’ll be on the look out for an 8.1 in the future though.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/13/20 06:05 PM

What line would you recommend for this application?

“ Fluke/trap/spinnerbait/just all around rod=7'mh ”

Find a rod I like at academy that should fit the bill for this. The highest gear ratio reel they had in stock was 7.1 so I picked it up. I’ll be on the look out for an 8.1 in the future though.

12-15 copoly or mono.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/13/20 06:12 PM

Supposed to say I found* a rod.
Thank you
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/13/20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Or

Thank you!

What do you mean "cut the split with part number" ? You saying you cut that section of the rod out?

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/13/20 10:00 PM

One thing that I did not mention is that most people fish a drop shot with spinning gear. I do not. I use a bait caster. You will have to decide which you like best for that technique. I drop shot finesse worms, trick worms and flukes.
Posted By: ricochetrabbit

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/16/20 08:05 PM

I swiped this from two Wired2Fish articles to give you a jumping off point until you can start figuring out what works best for you, your physical attributes, type of fishing line, and particular baits you end up throwing the most. Don't be afraid to deviate to fit your preferences and match your style of fishing.

Rods
7-foot, 6-inch heavy-power baitcaster combo (extra-fast action)
Main purpose: Flipping, pitching, punching, frog rod and swimbaits

6-foot, 9-inch medium-power baitcaster combo (extra-fast action)
Main purpose: topwaters and jerkbaits

7-foot medium-power baitcaster combo (moderate action)
Main purpose: crankbaits

7-foot medium-heavy power baitcaster combo (mod-fast to fast action)
Main purpose: texas-rigs and jigs

7-foot medium-heavy power baitcaster combo (moderate action)
Main purpose: spinnerbaits, vibrating and swimming jigs

6-foot, 9-inch medium power spinning combo (moderate to mod-fast action)
Main purpose: shaky heads, drop shots, lightweight plastics or light jerkbaits and topwaters

Reels
7:1 baitcaster
Main purpose: heavy lifting for flipping, pitching, punching, frogging, worms, and jigs

6.4:1 baitcaster
Main purpose: palmable reel for short wrist snaps with topwater, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, and swim jigs

5.4:1 baitcaster
Main purpose: low torque cranking reel for keeping crankbait in strike zone

5:1 spinning reel in 1000 to 2000 spool size
Main purpose: light line bass fishing with shaky heads, drop shots; back-reeling is a bonus

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/17/20 02:17 AM

Thank you sir
Posted By: GHSTgoesBOO

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/17/20 04:03 PM

@barberrods. I can build you pretty much anything you can think of.

Re: Technique specific rods - 07/17/20 05:19 PM

How much?

Re: Technique specific rods - 08/09/20 09:55 PM

Got my crank bait rod today from fun n sun.

Daiwa Tatula 7’ glass cranking rod
Daiwa Tatula CT100H 6.3 reel

Re: Technique specific rods - 08/09/20 09:57 PM

12lb copoly
Posted By: M. Putnam

Re: Technique specific rods - 08/10/20 04:00 PM

I am a rank amateur, fishing little neighborhood ponds and Harris County parks. I only own a few rods and reels. So I'm certain most of the other posters on here know better than I do (which I'm sure they will happily point out!)

A lot of places I fish have tons of grass, weeds and lily pads. So I wanted to fish with a hollow body frog. I understood from my research that I needed a heavy rod and a fast reel. But I'm also on a serious budget. So ended up settling with:

Lew's Speed Spool SS1SHA 7.5:1
Falcon Jason Christie JCC-611H Heavy-Flex rod - At 6' 11' it's probably too short but it hit all the other buttons and was on sale. I should also add that Falcon labeled this rod as "Pitch and Skip" (to the poster's question about manufacturers who list techniques on their rods), and so I've occasionally switched over to a jig to fish around docks and structures. It works very well.
I used 50 lb. braid only on this rig. I haven't caught many lunkers but a fair number of 2 or 3 pound bass.

This is the only "specialty" rig I own. My other rigs are just mix-and-match of what I have on-hand, unfortunately.

Re: Technique specific rods - 08/10/20 06:32 PM

The fish don’t care what rod you’re using. Use what feels right for the bait. If you like it, you’ll fish longer and have better success.

Posted By: Jons3825

Re: Technique specific rods - 08/11/20 12:59 AM

Dobyns Fury series is close to your range and has specific styles on them. Also the St Croix Bass X series is in that range and I believe has some guidelines on them as far as what they are for. But above all, put it in hand and see how it feels to you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum