Texas Fishing Forum

Which fishfinder?

Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 01:43 AM

I am on a budget and looking for a fishfinder with side imaging that has GPS. I am looking at the HELIX 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2 and the Lowrance HOOK2-5 TripleShot Fishfinder/GPS Combo. Both are available for around $300 which works with my budget. I appreciate all opinions on one over the other. Thanks.
Posted By: 21sammy

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 02:09 AM

Love my Humminbirds so I am biased a little bit but I really like the side imaging on the Humminbird way more than the Lowrance.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 02:45 AM

Hummingbird here too. Installed the original units myself. Console is a 9” SI/DI/GPS. The returns are ok, but the newer technology is much better. I used transducer shield and saver as well. It’s worth the extra protection.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 08:45 AM

go with the bird unit, had nothing but for a lot of years, they are more user friendly.

if you want a larger screen look for a used 898/899 or a 998/999 and you should be able to stay within your budget. had 899 on the bow and 998 at console till recently and no complaints on either.

I personally couldn't use the smaller screen, old guy here and too much eye strain.
Posted By: RedBarn

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 03:00 PM

Jiggy,
Keep saving until you can afford a 7” or 9” screen!! The 5” is really too small to utilize the SI in my opinion!!! .......from experience. Go with the birds, but just a bigger screen size.
Posted By: Bermise

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 08:28 PM

If you are on a budget, hard to beat Humminbird.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 09:03 PM

Get the best Garmin you can afford

Whenever y'alls Lowrances and Hummnbirds provide navigation for land, air, and sea, let me know
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/11/20 10:06 PM

All of them are expensive if you go to a bigger screen. I just had two gamin 12 inch EchoMap Ultras and Livescope installed. Choked pretty good at the bill but that's what I decided to spend my fun money on. If I was starting out again and had to go smaller, I would not buy the smaller "all the bells and whistle" model. They are expensive. Buy a bigger screen unit in whatever brand you choose that gives you the biggest screen but not all the bells and whistles. I think you will be disappointed in the smaller screens not unless you are installing it on a kayak. At least I was but thats just my opinion.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/12/20 01:28 AM

Put your money into a bigger screen you will not be disappointed.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Which fishfinder? - 07/12/20 02:17 AM

I want livescope
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum