Texas Fishing Forum

Jackhammers...

Posted By: SaltyFishin'

Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 02:40 PM

I always seem to bend and bust up the blades before the bait goes bad. Who here replaces the blades on these? If so, what's the closest (or identitcal) blade replacement?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 02:47 PM

I've never bent any but the closest cheap blade is the one on the original for $3-$4 depending where you get em. I've ordered blades from eBay and they are close but not as thin. Just buy the cheap chatterbait and steal the blade
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 03:24 PM

Go to Lure Parts Online, they have a large selection to choose from.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 03:37 PM

What the heck are you doing to bend a jackhammer blade? I've never even heard of one bending unless someone took pliers to it on purpose.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
What the heck are you doing to bend a jackhammer blade? I've never even heard of one bending unless someone took pliers to it on purpose.

This is what I am wondering. A bait that expensive shouldn't break that easy.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 03:44 PM

Over priced for what they are. Lot of baits with same design for half the coin and more durable in my opinion.
Posted By: SaltyFishin'

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 03:49 PM

I wish I had pictures, but I've been just throwing them away. I wouldn't argue their quality, as I usually can fish them 4-5 days a week for 3-4 months before they get so out of wack on me that I can't seem to fix them and just toss them. I thought maybe someone here had found a good replacement blade, as all that I've seen are nowhere close due to shape/design.
Posted By: Fordntriton

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 06:00 PM

I love the jackhammers but I understand that they're overpriced. The Strike King chatter baits are similar and less.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 06:45 PM

Have you tried calling Z-Man to see if they sell them as a replacement part?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brent S

Never bent a blade on one but the Decoy brand Egg Snap is too weak. The first good fish I hooked on mine opened the snap like it was buttah. I love the Jackhammers but change the snap to an Owner Hyperwire 70# snap before ever throwing it now.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Never bent a blade on one but the Decoy brand Egg Snap is too weak. The first good fish I hooked on mine opened the snap like it was buttah. I love the Jackhammers but change the snap to an Owner Hyperwire 70# snap before ever throwing it now.

[Linked Image]

I really like the oval rings. You tried those from Owner Ken?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/09/20 10:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Good 411, I'll do the same from now on.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/10/20 12:27 AM

Finally bit the bullet and bought a couple Jackhammers. The first time I hung on a stump, I bent the hook getting un-snagged. Been throwing their Project Z chatterbaits for several years and never bent a hook. Can't tell a difference in the two baits and the Project Z's are half the price.
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/10/20 12:29 AM

Just get you a few Thunder Crickets and you won't have to replace anything.

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/10/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites

[Linked Image]

I really like the oval rings. You tried those from Owner Ken?

I haven't Randy but it would have to be easier to get on the blade than the Owner snap!
Posted By: 3N

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/10/20 03:30 PM

Only place to get the shame shaped blade is from Ebay... All the tackle websites will only sell the rounded blades...
Posted By: bigfishwilb

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/11/20 09:06 AM

Not sure if it's the blade or head or both but the jackhammer makes a Much more distinct sound in water I Believe there is a you tube video about them.

Trust me. I throw chatter baits often. I don't see a huge production level in jackhammer vs good ole chatter bait. $16.95 is steep. $5/6 is just fine.

I'll continue to use the couple I have but unless production of quantity of fish improves I won't be buying new ones.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/11/20 03:08 PM

[Linked Image]

So a bait that costs $3 to make and sells for $16 comes with cheap components? Yep, that’s ZMan!

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/11/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by buda13

[Linked Image]

So a bait that costs $3 to make and sells for $16 comes with cheap components? Yep, that’s ZMan!

Buda, the Decoy stuff is not cheap. I am sure Brett Hite & Evergreen spent countless hours selecting the Jackhammer components piece by piece to ensure the bait would hunt like no other bladed jig, and that it does. The issue I see is that after you catch 40-50 fish or one really big fish on one the Decoy Egg Snap gives way.

Will the other Chatterbaits catch fish right outta the package? Absolutely! Do they hunt like the Jackhammer? No sir.

Will I buy a $16 bait & change the snap on it because I feel it gives me a slight edge? In a heartbeat!
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/12/20 04:10 AM

You throwing them on braid?

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/12/20 01:20 PM

Depends. When I go to Camelot Bell I do. I know braid is much less forgiving on terminal equipment like snaps & hooks. That contributed to the failure of the snap in this pic but it was a big fish on a heavy action rod.

Normally I throw them on 20# flo. However even on flo after a bunch of fish the Decoy snap will fail. I was on Indian Cave Lake, part of the PWF portfolio last Oct that was full of 2-4# fish that were chomping the bait. Two of the 3 of us in my boat had the snap fail on new baits after catching 30+ fish on them around vegetation.

To be clear, I do not think it is a bad design. I am sure Zman & Evergreen spent a TON of time working with every snap possible and settled on the Decoy Egg Snap because it made the bait more erratic. I am just stating my experience.
Posted By: leebayou

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/12/20 05:28 PM

I changed all of my chatterbait clips ( as suggested by someone on this site several months ago) to the Mustad Fastach Clips #2 (rated for 50 lbs). Mustad makes sizes from 0 to 5 for these clips. I doubt I will ever have a failure with these. A little help from a youtube video for connecting to the chatterbait was very helpful with some needle nose pliers.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/12/20 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]

Ken, do you have a part # for that replacement snap you use. I looked at the Hyperwire products, and don't see one that is 70#. I do see a size 1 79# snap, link provided. Is that it?

Hyper Crosslock Snap
Posted By: Fordntriton

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/13/20 03:26 AM

Good tip

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/13/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

[Linked Image]

Ken, do you have a part # for that replacement snap you use. I looked at the Hyperwire products, and don't see one that is 70#. I do see a size 1 79# snap, link provided. Is that it?

Hyper Crosslock Snap

Yes that is it. I also just noticed the Hog farmer 80# snaps that look like they may be easier to install. Getting the Owner snaps on the Jackhammer is a pain!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fisherinok

Re: Jackhammers... - 07/13/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SaltyFishin'
I wish I had pictures, but I've been just throwing them away. I wouldn't argue their quality, as I usually can fish them 4-5 days a week for 3-4 months before they get so out of wack on me that I can't seem to fix them and just toss them. I thought maybe someone here had found a good replacement blade, as all that I've seen are nowhere close due to shape/design.

Wait for context we are talking about fishing a bait 4-5 days a week for 3-4 months and not getting your $20 out of it? I have lost that in football jigs on Fayette in a day. It makes me mad, but it's fishing, you lose stuff.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum