Texas Fishing Forum

Running Lake Belton

Posted By: 21sammy

Running Lake Belton - 07/04/20 01:17 AM

Anyone have any tips for running lake belton? THSBA state tournament coming up in a couple weeks...
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/04/20 01:40 AM

super easy lake to run.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/04/20 01:54 AM

Let her rip tater chip!
Posted By: JBranham

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/04/20 03:30 AM

Pretty easy lake to run but there are a couple of extended underwater points you need to swing wide if you run by them. The are easy to see on Navionics.

There is submerged timber but with the lake at it's current level you will find most about 30 to 40 yards off of the banks and its roughly 10' below current pull.

Be mindful of boats around you, there will be plenty, and their wake. Because of the color of the water the rollers blend in so you will get surprised when your rocking along and all of a sudden you're airborne.

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/04/20 03:41 PM

Thank y’all!
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/07/20 09:45 PM

once the hangovers wear off the googans take the lake over and there are wake boats all over the south part of the lake.....fishing the dam is almost impossible....plan on fishing north.........
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/07/20 09:50 PM

also,look for schools of shad deep and you will find fish......fish jigs and swim baits in the shad balls.............
Posted By: ricochetrabbit

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/08/20 06:08 PM

The river channel from the dam north to the Hwy 36 is clear, you can run as fast as your boat will take you. Main lake is open with no submerged hazards except right along the shorelines. As someone mentioned lots of pleasure boats and jet skis to contend with. Flooded timber on the maps are usually just an issue right along the shoreline.

Headed north from the dam, the first turn is Temple Lake Park. I usually swing wide there at the point. As you continue to go up, there's a tiny island at the bend directly across Morgans Point. I normally avoid going in that pass between the island and shore. On the inside of the next bend I swing wide there. This next section gets busy with boats pulling tubes and what not. The second bend where the lake turns back west, that area is know as the sand flats on the north shoreline of Tweedle Mountain, just stay in the channel and you can run wide open.

There's no grass in the lake and water temps will be high 80's low 90's. And Belton does have a good population of smallies.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/11/20 01:27 AM

RickyRodeo and the rest are spot on. I've done a lot of boating and fishing in Belton in the past. Sad to hear it has gotten so busy. Such a beautiful lake along with Stillhouse. I hope to return to that area someday. I almost live on Eagle Mountain but long for Belton and Stillhouse. Ruined me.

Re: Running Lake Belton - 07/11/20 01:54 AM

Thanks guys for all the info, the tournament was sadly canceled but we still plan on making a trip down there to fish both Belton and Stillhouse.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum