Texas Fishing Forum

Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing

Posted By: Strat-a-Caster

Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/01/20 03:11 PM

My family and I will be spending a few days in Oklahoma at the Hidden Hills Cabins in Hochatown. I have never been but have heard nothing but good things. I have a kayak and intend to take a few trips during our stay but have not clue where to start or what places I should try, ect... Anyone have any thoughts or insight you are willing to provide? Baits, locations, times, ect...

1. Target species is small mouth as I have never caught one and would love to check that box.
2. Also love catching pretty much anything that bites. So those locations are welcome as well.
3. I have a paddle kayak and can anchor in up to 8' of water as that is as long as my anchor pole is, if that is helpful in any response given.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/01/20 03:58 PM

Went a couple weeks ago. Beautiful place, you’ll enjoy it. With a Kayak I would make sure I’m on the water early and off before the Wake Board boats. It’s used more as a water sports lake but it has great fishing.

Largemouth were biting top waters early and late on points and pockets close to main lake/river. Shore Grass and lay downs are holding a lot of fish as well as bushes up the river. Wind blown banks with bushes held fish all day.

Lake was a little chaotic for chasing Browns on the main lake but I hear the island points and underwater humps were holding fish.

We had our best luck on the north side but honestly we caught fish everywhere and on everything.
Posted By: speedcrawler

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/01/20 04:03 PM

We used to go up there in Oct to camp and fish. Use a spook early morning on points near the dam. It's deep clear water. Also, threw a weightless zoom chartreuse pumpkin 6" trick worm with split shot on all the secondary points in the first big cove on NW side of lake from dam. It's the one with the big marina in it. We would throw that on all the points going back past that marina and catch smallies. Of course that was in Oct. Also, the next big cove north of this one has a little island just off shore from one of the points, we would catch fish on c-rig there. Good luck and hope this helps.
Posted By: Strat-a-Caster

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/01/20 04:55 PM

Awesome, thank you for the feedback. I am hoping can have some productive trips while I am there.
Posted By: csmithag95

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/13/20 03:57 AM

I was there a couple weeks back and echo what TXBazzn said. Caught lots of fish on any laydown I could find where my boat was in 8-15 feet on points. Topwater early was excellent. Only caught one fish over 4 pounds, but all larger fish were on top and then numbers on a shaky head creature bait on any kind of cover you can find. We mainly targeted the visible fallen trees that were in the water because I had never been to the lake and those were the obvious things. AS I was leaving, I learned about the humps and islands area on the southeast side of the lake and hit that up and caught a few smallmouth on topwater the last morning. No matter what you catch it is spectacularly beautiful but BUSY with boaters on the weekend. Be careful in a kayak. By 11am each day I was ready to get off the water and i'm in a 21' Legend.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/13/20 11:23 AM

Go way up the north end of the lake and put you on a chrome/blue with orange throat chug bug for some awesome top water action this time of year.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/13/20 10:13 PM

My go-to Smallmouth rig: Ned rig.
Posted By: mikelester121

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/14/20 03:55 AM

I’m also going to Broken Bow in two weeks.

Does anyone have guide suggestions? For Largemouth, crappie, walleye?

Thank you
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/14/20 10:29 AM

Not sure if he is splitting time across Fork and Broken Bow or just focused on Fork now. Young guy focused on largemouth but dominated the tournaments up there, legit

https://www.bigfootbassguideonlakeforktexas.com/
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/14/20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikelester121
I’m also going to Broken Bow in two weeks.

Does anyone have guide suggestions? For Largemouth, crappie, walleye?

Thank you

Doug Story is as good as they get up there, he mainly does crappie trips but he is a heck of a stick when it comes to bass fishing, if it swims he can catch em.
Posted By: mikelester121

Re: Need help! Broken Bow Lake Fishing - 07/14/20 07:14 PM

Thanks guys!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum