Texas Fishing Forum

Fabric softener as a line conditioner?

Posted By: i-Fish

Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 01:03 AM

Think I recall Swindel mention this a while back. Anybody try it?? I’ve used KVD’s stuff and thought it was ok, just bought a bottle of reel magic....I usually just attach my line to something and stretch a bit as well. Thoughts?
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 01:21 AM

From what I've read, don't use reel magic on fluorocarbon line. I've never had a problem with it on mono but it's not good for fluorocarbon. I use the KVD stuff with good results.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by bsouth401
From what I've read, don't use reel magic on fluorocarbon line. I've never had a problem with it on mono but it's not good for fluorocarbon. I use the KVD stuff with good results.

Where did you hear this rubbish...I use reel magic on my flouro and have no issues with at all. Granted, I very rarely need to use it on my Sunline Sniper, but I do use it.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 02:48 AM

Fabric softener works great on mono. When my saltwater castnets get older and harder I soak them often and it softens them right up. Not sure how you'd use it on spooled line though as I soak my nets in a bucket. I doubt the fabric softener would be very good for the reel itself but there may be a way to make it work. I just re-spool. And I have never wasted money on bottled softeners and such because i feel that again, if it needs softening then it needs re-spooling with new mono.
Posted By: rut-roe

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 02:57 AM

Never had no problem with reel magic, been using it for years.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by rut-roe

This^
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 03:44 AM

The actual line conditioner is inexpensive enough that I will just keep buying the real thing. Then again I really do not have a need for it much at all. Occasionally I use it but far from regularly.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 05:49 AM

The fabric softener is for use on heavy braid line to soften it up. It is a noticeable difference
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 10:46 AM

Never tried that... I’ve used KVD and reel magic. I really see the difference on fluorocarbon.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 11:39 AM

On new cast nets this is used to make the fibers more pliable. Soak the entire net in a bucket with fabric softner. Works well.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 11:54 AM

This is not correct in any way.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by i-Fish
Think I recall Swindel mention this a while back. Anybody try it?? I’ve used KVD’s stuff and thought it was ok, just bought a bottle of reel magic....I usually just attach my line to something and stretch a bit as well. Thoughts?

I wouldn't really do this with Floro. Really stretched Floro becomes brittle.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/25/20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser

Where did you hear this rubbish...I use reel magic on my flouro and have no issues with at all. Granted, I very rarely need to use it on my Sunline Sniper, but I do use it.

I don't know if there is any validity to this but this is where I read it. https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7896445/2
I use the KVD stuff from time to time and like it. I will say though, I never had a problem with reel magic. I just like the KVD stuff better. If you use the reel magic and like it, Rock on!
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/26/20 02:52 AM

If you contact any of the makers of the floro they will tell you it doesnt work on floro since it doesnt absorb... that said I contacted seaguar to see if there is a conditioner that will work on tatsu because reelx and kvd and some other home brew i bought all work great when applied but after sitting the line is pitted and jacked up and brittle... they said "line conditioner will have no effect" I replied back Ummm did you read what I said, Im asking if there is one that wont make the line brittle and pitted... no reply... apparently they are incapable of buying a bottle of conditioner and knowing wtf they are saying.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/26/20 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Smurfs

This^

Yup
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/26/20 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by TinRangerJim
Originally Posted by Smurfs

This^

Yup

Totally Agree. I also use Real Magic. thumb
Posted By: Tanner101

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/26/20 01:12 PM

Spray can of Silicone.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/26/20 02:05 PM

I like plain old water as a line softener.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/26/20 03:00 PM

I use WD-40
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Fabric softener as a line conditioner? - 06/26/20 09:35 PM

Not a fan of reel magic myself, too greasy for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum