Texas Fishing Forum

Broke My Expert!!

Posted By: thirtysixit

Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 02:38 AM

My new Falcon Expert snapped on me today setting the hook on a two pound bass..... I hate it that this happened because I've been a Falcon guy forever. Have any of you guys experienced the same with the outsourced rods from Falcon?

I will say their customer service has been very good. Looks like I'm going to be out about 30$ for the whole deal with a replacement.

Attached picture IMG_3772.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3771.jpg
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 02:42 AM

I thought is was gonna go a different way lol
Posted By: duffer

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 11:41 AM

A Bucco SR of mine broke at almost the exact same spot. The rod had barely been used and I was throwing a practice plug! Given this is an inexpensive rod, one would think Falcon wouldn’t put their brand on something that was so bad. They replaced it but like you stated, had to add another $20 to a really poor investment. I’ve used Falcons since the early 90’s and never doubted their quality before now. I’ve moved on to ALX and Dobyns but still own a half dozen older Falcons.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 02:55 PM

Buddy had this exact expert break on a Hookset in the exact same place. Coincidence.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 03:15 PM

Wow. That is a stout rod also for it to break in that spot. I don't have any Experts but I have (4) of the Cara Amistads and I can't imagine being able to break one of them.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 04:03 PM

That's too bad. Hopefully, just a defect on that particular rod not the entire line. I have several of the new Experts. So far, so good...

If you can cut your rod tube down to match the current length of your return it may help in the cost. Falcon should return the rod to you at no additional cost. Usually just the cost to get it to them.

Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 04:08 PM

Probably need that 30$ to buy a new pair of underpants lol I’m sure it breaking so close to the handle scared the [censored] out of you.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 04:12 PM

Wow, not a normal place for a break. I don't have any experts, but I sure hope that my Amistads and other Caras hold up. I'd be leary about buying any new Falcon rods except for the less expensive versions like Lowrider. I recently bought the all purpose Lowrider and love it. Heck, I'm still using a couple of Herm Specials from the original line. Remember those?

Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 04:17 PM

I have that exact rod, and it's stout for sure. No idea why it would break that far down though.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Wow, not a normal place for a break. I don't have any experts, but I sure hope that my Amistads and other Caras hold up. I'd be leary about buying any new Falcon rods except for the less expensive versions like Lowrider. I recently bought the all purpose Lowrider and love it. Heck, I'm still using a couple of Herm Specials from the original line. Remember those?

I have a couple of Lizard Draggers, Mansfield's that I had Kevin Smith customize for me that are still in awesome shape. I have had a couple of them since early 90's.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 06:38 PM

I too had an SR break on me in about that exact place on a hook set on a 2 pounder last year as well. Since they left Harrisonville and went out of the USA they have gone down hill. I've fished their rods exclusively since 1994 when all you could buy were originals but i'm having my worries now.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
Probably need that 30$ to buy a new pair of underpants lol I’m sure it breaking so close to the handle scared the [censored] out of you.

It scared the heck out of me AND my partner. I did manage to land the fish though... Silver linings I guess. roflmao
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Broke My Expert!! - 06/24/20 10:16 PM

That’s probably where the little Chinese kid is putting them in the vice, while installing the reel seat. Scoring the carbon surface, preparing for future failure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum