Texas Fishing Forum

Best Jig/Worm Rod

Posted By: 2Pacalypse

Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 02:25 PM

I know this have probably been covered humpteen different times on this forum but regardless how I search it, it shows me limited results... So I apologize in advance.

ANYWHO,

I'm in the market for the best jig/worm/bottom-contact rod 350 bucks can buy.

Would prefer something with a full handle (not a fan of the split-grips) and in the 7'2" to 7'6" range. (MH to) Heavy is preferable with a fast tip.

I have heard great things about the Megabass Orochi XX Braillist and that's what I was really leaning towards but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere!

Also good things heard about certain Dobyn's, Kistler, ALX, and G. Loomis models.

Helppppp!

banana banana banana
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 02:29 PM

It's split grip but a Power Tackle "The One" rod for sure needs to be in that mix.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
It's split grip but a Power Tackle "The One" rod for sure needs to be in that mix.

Agreed
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 02:40 PM

Got a buddy that swears by the Cashion John Crews Signature Series worming rods. I would look at those and Loomis too.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 03:17 PM

The Dobyns Champion Extreme HP DX 744 F/H ( http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-744c-fh/ ) is what you want! I have two on the deck all the time.
Posted By: mikey_ batts

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 03:18 PM

I recently was looking for this exact same rod. I currently own all Powell Endurance rods, but felt that I should look at something else just to see what was out there. I purchase the Dobyns Xtasy 724 and 755, Kistler Helium 3 7ft heavy and 7'6" heavy, and then handled with ALX rods (I believe it was the Toadface). I was about to order the Megabass Pitch perfect and Braillist to test next but decided at this point I would just stick to what I like the best to that point and stop spending so much money. I then ordered another Endurance and a MAX series which have the action and balance I was looking for along with as much sensitivity as I need.

I loved the Dobyns Xtasy, but the action was off for me and I feel that the sensitivity was not amazing for a $550 rod. The Kistler felt heavy and unbalanced, but was sensitive. I really liked the ALX and wish I would have bought this one to try for a period of time.

If you do decide that you would like to go with a Dobyns I have the Xtasy 755 I would let go for $375

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 03:28 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas.

I know it's a split grip, but does anybody have any experience with an ALX ZOLO Dragger?
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 05:11 PM

You cant go wrong with the Dobyns 766 flip full handle rods! and its priced right!
Posted By: rkd

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 05:31 PM

I have an ALX Zolo but use it for dragging carolina rigs. I LOVE it. Light, sensitive, strong and well under your budget. If I didn't have a Dobyns for my every day worm rod I would definitely go with an ALX and it would be a close call between the Toadface and Deputy.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:27 PM

A Loomis 843 IMX.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:33 PM

I'll second the ALX feedback. I have a number of their rods. I use the Dragger for c-rig and it is awesome.

I also have the ALX ENOX LSB, the ZOLO PowerBolt, The Dream, The Maestro, and The SpeedFury.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:35 PM

Dobyns Champion 734 is hands down my favorite for all but big(10”-12”) worms and larger jigs.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:37 PM

Save up bit more and get the best money can buy period. A Loomis Conquest!
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:38 PM

ALX Enox LSB and don't look back! Super sensitive and very comfortable/balanced.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:43 PM

DEFMP ain't lying. Best. Rod. Ever.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey

THIS... The one 4 power
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Save up bit more and get the best money can buy period. A Loomis Conquest!

If Gaary still owned the compy maybe... But overpriced Shimano... No thanks

I'd buy North fork composites before Loomis anymore

The NFC is also not split grip
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 06:58 PM

A used NRX or GLX. If new then a IMX-Pro
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
A used NRX or GLX. If new then a IMX-Pro

What he said, except nix the IMX-Pro. I have one and there's better rods for less money than the IMX series.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 08:38 PM

All depends on the weight of the jig and the wire-size of the hook. Heavier jig, heavier wire-size means stouter rod and more heavier line size.

I use Kistler Z-bones, both older vintage and newer. Most of the older rods were custom-built with full-length cork and moderate-fast action.
Actually like the MF-action with the heaver wire-size hooks. Feel it starts hook penetration quicker, then progresses on to the back-bone part.

Kistler Z-bone 3MH action for finesse shaky-heads, etc., 12-15# line.

Kistler Z-bone 4MH action for medium jigs, heavier shaky-heads 15-20# line. Good all-round rod.

Kistler Z-bone 5H action for heavy jigs, heavy wire-size hooks, Carolina-rig, 20# line or braid.

The 3MH is no slouch pulling 6-7 pounder out of timber with 15-17#line, but the you can pull as hard as you like with a 5H.

Almost all come in lengths of 7', 7'3", 7'6" or some 7'10". But new Kistler's are split-grip.

JMO

Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bsouth401
The Dobyns Champion Extreme HP DX 744 F/H ( http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-744c-fh/ ) is what you want! I have two on the deck all the time.

This^^^^
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 10:53 PM

I have a couple of the Champion Extreme HP's. The balance nicely but I think my IMX-Pro's are more sensitive. Also considering their made in China their a bit over priced at full retail.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/23/20 11:15 PM

You said you want the "best" so to with the top of the line Loomis. It is the most sensitive rod out there.

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
You said you want the "best" so to with the top of the line Loomis. It is the most sensitive rod out there.

Best for $350. Ain't trying to spend no $700 on a rod, bro
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2Pacalypse
I know this have probably been covered humpteen different times on this forum but regardless how I search it, it shows me limited results... So I apologize in advance.

ANYWHO,

I'm in the market for the best jig/worm/bottom-contact rod 350 bucks can buy.

Would prefer something with a full handle (not a fan of the split-grips) and in the 7'2" to 7'6" range. (MH to) Heavy is preferable with a fast tip.

I have heard great things about the Megabass Orochi XX Braillist and that's what I was really leaning towards but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere!

Also good things heard about certain Dobyn's, Kistler, ALX, and G. Loomis models.

Helppppp!

banana banana banana

I would go with the Megabass Orochi XX Diablo Spec R if you wanted a MH with fast tip or the Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch for a H. The Braiilist is great as well but I like the 7' 2" length better.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 02:44 PM

Dobyns Champion Extreme 745

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DEFMP
ALX Enox LSB and don't look back! Super sensitive and very comfortable/balanced.

Sold out on the web site and it appears to be a split grip.

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom
Dobyns Champion Extreme 745

+1
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 10:56 PM

So many great rod out there for sure!!

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow

Exactly, there are a lot of different brands of rods that would do the job just fine. Its hard to say which is best, it all depends on what you like.

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/24/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow

Exactly, there are a lot of different brands of rods that would do the job just fine. Its hard to say which is best, it all depends on what you like and what you have used in the past to compare it to.
Loomis
Powell
Kistler
Dobyns
Falcon
Power Tackle
Daiwa
Shimano
Megabass
FXextreme

and the list goes on and on. Many to choose from that are good.
Posted By: squib

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/25/20 02:13 AM

Any interest in custom? A custom rod is typically lighter and all other things being fairly equal, lighter will be more sensitive every time. I've built a couple of worm/jig rods on an Immortal blank this year, and I have been very impressed.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/25/20 02:28 AM

Custom Rainshadow 7'6" blank with Fuji reel seat and Fuji guides

It's launches t-rig worms from 1/8 oz to 1 oz with ease.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/25/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by squib
Any interest in custom? A custom rod is typically lighter and all other things being fairly equal, lighter will be more sensitive every time. I've built a couple of worm/jig rods on an Immortal blank this year, and I have been very impressed.

I PM’d him about a coworker that custom builds rods. I’ve got a couple made by him using Rainshadow Immortal blanks and 3 using the Revelation blanks. The sensitivity is amazing and light too! He’s also built on the NFC XRay blanks that are similar to the Kistler ZBones and he says it’s crazy sensitive. You can get a lot more rod for the money when going custom... But I also understand some people just want name brand stuff.
Posted By: Fayettefishing

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/25/20 02:20 PM

Obviously lots of opinions but can someone tell me other than provide pride of ownership the difference between an all-star classic WR1 and any other rod !mentioned here. I seldom fish anything other than soft plastics and have caught more than my share of fish. If you just have to spend $350 but 7 of the all stars and give 5 of them to high school kids
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/25/20 02:36 PM

I've got a falcon expert amistad xh, (extra heavy), that is great for the heavy line and big jigs. I also have the swim bait/jig that is a great all around rod for tx rigs and jigs

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/25/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fayettefishing
Obviously lots of opinions but can someone tell me other than provide pride of ownership the difference between an all-star classic WR1 and any other rod !mentioned here. I seldom fish anything other than soft plastics and have caught more than my share of fish. If you just have to spend $350 but 7 of the all stars and give 5 of them to high school kids

Uhhhh... Do what now?
Posted By: 21sammy

Re: Best Jig/Worm Rod - 06/25/20 05:50 PM

Second this! Dobyns is the way to go.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum