Texas Fishing Forum

Repair the old one or move on from it?

Posted By: hobgood12

Repair the old one or move on from it? - 06/23/20 01:36 AM

I’m torn and need some advise. I have an ‘08 250 ProXS that is in need of a torque master lower unit. At what point from a monetary standpoint do you cut ties and part out the good remaining parts and move on to a new or newer engine......or do you keep investing new high dollar components to the same 12 year old motor and rock on. I am assuming that if I replaced the LU with an all new one I would be spending almost the same amount as what the market value would be on the entire setup if the lower unit was fine. What would you do??
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Repair the old one or move on from it? - 06/23/20 01:41 AM

Have my lower unit rebuilt. Unless you think the motor is about to throw craps.
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Repair the old one or move on from it? - 06/23/20 01:52 AM

If you’ve owned the engine for a long time and know the history on it and it’s been maintained properly, I would just do a lower unit rebuild or replacement. As long as the engine is rock solid, I see no reason to buy another one. A rebuild would likely be a bit more affordable than a new replacement unit if you go that route.

If you purchased another used engine, you never really know how it’s been treated or maintained, who knows, it might start having problems with the lower unit too or possibly some other issues. A lot of people don’t care for their boats as meticulously as their cars.

So if you know everything else on your engine is solid and you’ve taken good care of it, I would keep it and fix it, personally. If you think the one you have may soon start to nickel and dime you with other problems, then maybe look into upgrading to a newer motor.

Most outboard motors are very robust and well built, so I don’t really foresee the ProXS you currently have giving you major issues with the powerhead or anything else unless it has been abused or neglected. Mercury makes a great product that lasts a very long time.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Repair the old one or move on from it? - 06/23/20 02:28 PM

reman on ebay about 3500

Id think there are lots of used from guys who blew power heads and went to the 4s.. I know Ive seen them posted here and there it seems like.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...;_nkw=torqmaster+lower+unit&_sacat=0
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Repair the old one or move on from it? - 06/23/20 02:33 PM

Since the merc pro xs 4 stroke came out you can buy a used 2 stroke pro xs with low hours for really cheap now
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum