Texas Fishing Forum

Cranking rods

Posted By: coal hauler

Cranking rods - 06/23/20 01:06 AM

In the markat for a square bill and deep diving cranking rods price point between 100 to 150 dollars thanks in advance
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Cranking rods - 06/23/20 01:58 AM

Irodgenesis2
I’d look at these three
Love these rods, a joy to fish with
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TTx

Re: Cranking rods - 06/23/20 02:27 AM

Squarebill: Dobyn’s FR 705CB (Fury Series 119.99)

For DD, I have Champion Series Dobyn’s which is in the 200 range, but the Bass Pro Crankin’ Stick is actually a pretty good rod for the cost. If I’m not mistaken there you could have a SB and DD crankin’ stick both for under 200.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Cranking rods - 06/23/20 09:46 PM

Old crankinstick hard to beat they maybe cheap but they work
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Cranking rods - 06/23/20 10:26 PM

Interesting info, Ill be following. I used a Duckett Ghost Cranking Rod in my debut in the FLW/BFL last weekend and I lost the majority of the fish I had on at the boat because I think even though you need a soft tip to keep the slack out of the line this rod is to soft and I;m not getting good hook penetration. They were also hitting late on a reaction strike and most all of the bites were hooked on the rear trebles so that may have been part of the problem as well. I was using Trilene XL mono to and that stuff is real stretchy. I think I'm going to switch over to fluorocarbon line as well and give it another go. Do I sound like I'm covering my self with plenty of excuses? bolt
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Cranking rods - 06/23/20 11:21 PM

I am happy with my Powell Max 3D crank bait rods, but there are a bunch of good crank bait rods out there for the square bill.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Cranking rods - 06/24/20 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I am happy with my Powell Max 3D crank bait rods, but there are a bunch of good crank bait rods out there for the square bill.

How about Powell endurance they any good? Like that they have cork on them.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Cranking rods - 06/24/20 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

I use a Powell Endurance 725 Crankbait rod and it's served me quite well.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Cranking rods - 06/24/20 01:28 PM

Second the Dobyns 705cb. The 704cb is also very good, especially for the smaller 1.5's. I have the Champion Series and although it feels a little "whippy" (I had my doubts when I first fished with it) it loads up perfectly and I have yet to lose a fish. Haven't caught anything over 6lbs yet but lots of scrappy 2-3lbr's and none of them have come unbuttoned. I tried at least 5 other brands specifically for squarebills and this is, so far, the best of the bunch. Duckett Ghost would be 2nd and St Croix Glass would be 3rd choice in comparison to the Dobyns.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Cranking rods - 06/24/20 10:23 PM

I use the Diawa Tatula Elite for everything between 1.5 squarebills up to DT10's. Personnaly i love it.

Re: Cranking rods - 06/24/20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by rkd
Second the Dobyns 705cb. The 704cb is also very good, especially for the smaller 1.5's. I have the Champion Series and although it feels a little "whippy" (I had my doubts when I first fished with it) it loads up perfectly and I have yet to lose a fish. Haven't caught anything over 6lbs yet but lots of scrappy 2-3lbr's and none of them have come unbuttoned. I tried at least 5 other brands specifically for squarebills and this is, so far, the best of the bunch. Duckett Ghost would be 2nd and St Croix Glass would be 3rd choice in comparison to the Dobyns.

If I didn't already have 4 Powell crank bait rods I would get the Dobyns 705. I really like Dobyns rods.

Well I went to the warehouse in Sulfur Springs this past Friday and picked up on a 705 CB glass rod, not that I really needed another crank bait rod but I wanted to try it out because so many people really like it.

Re: Cranking rods - 06/24/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

The Max 3D's that I have are cork also, but I have had them a while now.
Posted By: coal hauler

Re: Cranking rods - 06/26/20 03:17 AM

Thanks guys for all the input
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Cranking rods - 06/26/20 01:04 PM

Curado 7'2" Medium glass is my favorite squarebill rod right now. You can also throw other cranks like DT-6's and DT-10's.
Posted By: Fordntriton

Re: Cranking rods - 06/26/20 03:11 PM

Shimano has some great cranking rods

Re: Cranking rods - 06/28/20 11:50 PM

I like the FXtreme rods for mid-deep diving crank baits. I also like their swim bait rods.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Cranking rods - 06/29/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by rkd

If I didn't already have 4 Powell crank bait rods I would get the Dobyns 705. I really like Dobyns rods.

Well I went to the warehouse in Sulfur Springs this past Friday and picked up on a 705 CB glass rod, not that I really needed another crank bait rod but I wanted to try it out because so many people really like it.

I didn't "know" I needed another rod either but I picked up a DC 705CB FR* Boom Boom model the other day. cheers
Posted By: Shakey-Head

Re: Cranking rods - 06/29/20 02:02 AM

Kistler feel n reel
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum