Texas Fishing Forum

Things that make you cringe!

Posted By: Coolarrow

Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 02:13 PM

I was fishing the area between Stanley creek and the Brick Yard on Sam Rayburn Saturday morning. A bass boat was running the lane that runs north off of Hanks Creek up towards the 103. When he passed the island in front of Stanley creek on the lake side, he turned toward where I was and ran wide open through all that timber. Not following the shore, right through that forest. Most of which is about. 6” to a 1’ under water right now. I stopped fishing and watched, waiting to see a boat destroyed. It’s hard to idle through there!! He Made it. He stopped about 300 yards from me and started fishing my way. When I passed him I ask if he was fishing a tourney and he said he was.. That’s all I said. I didn’t want to spoil his luck! Lol He needed it running up there like that. Made me cringe.. lol
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 02:15 PM

See the same thing on Fork all the time.
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 02:57 PM

Even worse, is the pleasure boaters who see no trees, get kids on the tubes, and haul rear. Not knowing the number of trees right under the surface. Seems there are more pleasure boaters on Fork these days and you see it all the time. I've "mentioned" the fact there are trees everywhere and more often than not, they seem annoyed at my saying something, no matter how nicely worded. When I tell them the only good place to tube is by the dam, they really seem annoyed. I guess I should keep my mouth shut and let a child get hurt or killed. I am truly shocked there aren't more people hurt badly out of ignorance on Fork, Rayburn, Toledo Bend, etc. Sorry, oxymoron, pleasure boaters and ignorance!
Posted By: ~Moose~

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 03:04 PM

Just reading it makes me cringe... I lost a motor on an old bass boat many years ago running in a marked lane on Anacoco Lake in Louisiana. Sun was just coming up and the water was glass. A submerged tree had become uprooted and was floating just under the surface in the middle of the lane. I saw it right as it went under the bow which was too late. After a loud bang and the motor cover landing between my son and I, things got really quiet as we glided to a stop. Busted the cast transom motor mount. Hits you in the gut when you first turn around and see no motor. It was hanging under water by the steering and power cables. My son, who was about 5 or so at the time, just asked why we couldnt keep fishing since we still had the "little motor" up front.... roflmao

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ~Moose~
Just reading it makes me cringe... I lost a motor on an old bass boat many years ago running in a marked lane on Anacoco Lake in Louisiana. Sun was just coming up and the water was glass. A submerged tree had become uprooted and was floating just under the surface in the middle of the lane. I saw it right as it went under the bow which was too late. After a loud bang and the motor cover landing between my son and I, things got really quiet as we glided to a stop. Busted the cast transom motor mount. Hits you in the gut when you first turn around and see no motor. It was hanging under water by the steering and power cables. My son, who was about 5 or so at the time, just asked why we couldnt keep fishing since we still had the "little motor" up front.... roflmao

Man that’s scary! But you got to love a kid that loves to fish!!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ForneySkeeter
Even worse, is the pleasure boaters who see no trees, get kids on the tubes, and haul rear. Not knowing the number of trees right under the surface. Seems there are more pleasure boaters on Fork these days and you see it all the time. I've "mentioned" the fact there are trees everywhere and more often than not, they seem annoyed at my saying something, no matter how nicely worded. When I tell them the only good place to tube is by the dam, they really seem annoyed. I guess I should keep my mouth shut and let a child get hurt or killed. I am truly shocked there aren't more people hurt badly out of ignorance on Fork, Rayburn, Toledo Bend, etc. Sorry, oxymoron, pleasure boaters and ignorance!

watched 2 wet bikes at the mouth of williams about 3 weeks back, goofin out where all the lanes merge.
as for tubers being pulled, I just ask if they know about the 12' gators in fork then leave.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 06:08 PM

Watching that kinda stuff used to make me cringe too. Now, I just enjoy the show.

No amount of suggesting they take it easy in certain areas ever goes well received. So....it’s not worth talking to anyone.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 07:29 PM

The number of times I have seen pics of outboards sitting on the back deck with the prop in the seating area would make me glad it was hanging under water like yours! bolt
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 08:16 PM

when people say ding when they catch a dink
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/22/20 09:38 PM

There are new hazard buoys in the stump field in front of Waters Edge Subdivision On Granbury after a Tahoe sunk and several other accidents happened to the pleasure boaters. My fishing partner and I remarked it was just a matter of time the last time we saw them to wining tubes and wake boarders in the area.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 12:42 AM

Things that make cringe....Idiots that can't fugure out how to park a boat and trailer. Idiots that have a $70,000 + boat and have no idea how to launch it or load it.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 01:04 AM

years ago My son and I were fishing early sept. on lake ferguson which is river fed lake at Greenville,ms….river had dropped the lake level quite a bit from summer normal and there's a saddle that ran from a point out to an island that typically had 8-10 ft of water over it and ski boats would pull skiers or beach their boats on back side of the island...this day there was no more than a foot or so of water covering the saddle and we saw a ski boat with several guys in it headed towards the saddle where we fishing off the side of it...we stood up and waved our arms,they slowed down maybe 100 yards away or less and I heard one of them say "screw that S.O.B. he doesn't own the lake,we can go through there" or similar words and they cranked up and came through there wide open for about 30 yards and then spent the next 30 minutes wading around knee deep and covered with mud dragging that inboard/outboard ski boat off that mud flat.....they were probably 30 yards away,I never said a word and they never would even look in my direction...
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 01:52 AM

I watched several boats keep fishing during a big thunder storm yesterday on Grapevine, I was hiding in a boat slip, praying no one got struck, especially the two guys who had what looked like a 6 year old boy in the boat with them.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
I watched several boats keep fishing during a big thunder storm yesterday on Grapevine, I was hiding in a boat slip, praying no one got struck, especially the two guys who had what looked like a 6 year old boy in the boat with them.

Ever had your line hover up in the air after a cast? ....or make a buzzing sound? I have, and we got the you-know-what outta Dodge quick! (This was happening before any snap-crackle pop activity had started.)
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

The number of times I have seen pics of outboards sitting on the back deck with the prop in the seating area would make me glad it was hanging under water like yours! bolt

I worry about the outboard joining the occupants of the boat as well. Over the years, I've read numerous horror stories that had life-altering (or ending) results. I recently noticed a safety product on a boat featured for sale in the classifieds. It was a tether called "the leash" that was meant to help keep the outboard outside the boat. I learned it is leveraged technology used to tether axle-end assemblies on race cars so they don't go flying after a crash. I bought one within 5 days. It may not be fool-proof, but it can't hurt to try.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Ever had your line hover up in the air after a cast? ....or make a buzzing sound? I have, and we got the you-know-what outta Dodge quick! (This was happening before any snap-crackle pop activity had started.)

Was fishing Fork with a guide back in the early 90's, we had ran back to the marina a couple of times because of severe weather, finally the guide felt like we could get 2-3 hours in before the next line came through, I don' recall if we stayed too long or if the storms showed up early, we had golf ball size hail, had to hold tackle box over head to keep from getting knocked out, while we were fishing lightning struck a tree about 10 feet from us, knocked our rods out of our hands, knocked me to the floor, the tree came down into the boat, that is why I cringe when I see folks ignoring lightning storms on the lake.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 12:57 PM

My dad and I did on Rayburn one day!

Funny thing is it was mostly blue skies with just a few clouds. hmmm

No thunder, lightning, or rain but it ws time to go. bolt
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 01:46 PM

People think its BS, but you're rod will start vibrating and making a buzzing noise when a bad [censored] storm is near.. I have first hand experience with that and video proof!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
I was fishing the area between Stanley creek and the Brick Yard on Sam Rayburn Saturday morning. A bass boat was running the lane that runs north off of Hanks Creek up towards the 103. When he passed the island in front of Stanley creek on the lake side, he turned toward where I was and ran wide open through all that timber. Not following the shore, right through that forest. Most of which is about. 6” to a 1’ under water right now. I stopped fishing and watched, waiting to see a boat destroyed. It’s hard to idle through there!! He Made it. He stopped about 300 yards from me and started fishing my way. When I passed him I ask if he was fishing a tourney and he said he was.. That’s all I said. I didn’t want to spoil his luck! Lol He needed it running up there like that. Made me cringe.. lol

But at this level you can do it if you know where you are going. We run to back of Odell back out over into duranzo down the bank to Drivers and Lowery all the way around to Shirley. Now if it drops a little more it gets sketchy.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429

People think its BS, but you're rod will start vibrating and making a buzzing noise when a bad [censored] storm is near.. I have first hand experience with that and video proof!

Happened to a buddy an me on Bastrop one day. A storm was approaching and every time you lifted your rod, it would vibrate and buzz. We left in a hurry!
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 04:05 PM

There's a difference between a first time boater running Rayburn and someone who's fished the lake for years. When the lake is up, I have no problem running on plane in areas I'd never run when it's low. I've fished the Hanks Creek end of Rayburn for 30+ years and have never dropped a lower unit on a stump as I know where I'm boating.
Posted By: kcb

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 05:49 PM

About 30 years ago I had just launched at Fisherman’s Cove on Fork and was solo. Had my boat pulled up in the sand between the ramp and the boat slips. I had backed out and put the boat in gear and shortly after heard a terrible racket that was not my outboard. There were two older gents that had taken out and were at the top of the ramp in the parking lot running the gas out of their motor!! The rig looked fairly new and had what looked like a 75-85 Force motor. I suppose someone told them they needed to run the gas out of their motor after each trip but didn’t tell them “While in the water”. I thought for a second about trying to get to them but I was out near the middle of the creek by then and they couldn’t have heard anyway as you know how loud a motor is while out of the water. I hoped they didn’t ruin it. What an expensive lesson that was or would’ve been.

Re: Things that make you cringe! - 06/23/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by photofishin
There's a difference between a first time boater running Rayburn and someone who's fished the lake for years. When the lake is up, I have no problem running on plane in areas I'd never run when it's low. I've fished the Hanks Creek end of Rayburn for 30+ years and have never dropped a lower unit on a stump as I know where I'm boating.

I agree 100%. I fished Rayburn my whole life. I have run that area for around 30 year’s myself. Where that guy ran through is not safe to run at almost a foot low. 2’ high yes! As you know the lower it gets the more idle though or go around is required. I see it all the time.. just struck me Saturday. New boat peeled back for all she would do. Right through a stand of timber.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum