Texas Fishing Forum

Hydraulic steering

Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Hydraulic steering - 06/19/20 01:42 AM

Any thoughts on the cost to have hydraulic steering installed?
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/19/20 02:59 AM

Typical shop cost is the steering set and 4 hours of labor at my place. $85 an hour. Usually about 1200 for sea star pro. If they’re not running any sales.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/19/20 12:11 PM

Do it yourself. There are dozens of instructional videos on YouTube and other places. Not what I would consider a job for someone with no hands-on skills, but most people can handle it just fine.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/19/20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by T-racer @ Mallard Marine
Typical shop cost is the steering set and 4 hours of labor at my place. $85 an hour. Usually about 1200 for sea star pro. If they’re not running any sales.

+1 for Mallard Marine thumb
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/19/20 01:17 PM

I did this to my 99 Pantera II classic... it is well worth the investment... you will not be disappointed... the numbers that the others mentioned are accurate... I was lucky enough to buy my buddy's used system off his old boat...he is also a boat mechanic...so, I was able to get the whole thing done for under a $1K.

If you have the money, do it... your back, arms, and neck will thank you. It makes your boat safer and days on the water a lot more enjoyable.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/19/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggy wid it

If you decide to DIY it you are welcome to bring the boat by here (NAPA in Wylie) and I can talk you through it, I have installed a dozen or so of them.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/19/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by T-racer @ Mallard Marine

+1 for Mallard Marine thumb

+ 2. Trace will do a nice job for you!
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/20/20 02:30 PM

Thanks for the kind thoughts friends. Hope y’all all are well.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/20/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
Originally Posted by Jiggy wid it

If you decide to DIY it you are welcome to bring the boat by here (NAPA in Wylie) and I can talk you through it, I have installed a dozen or so of them.

Chris installed mine! 1998 Basscat and mad ea world of difference, can't imagine driving a boat without hydraulics anymore.
Posted By: ScottCook

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/24/20 11:26 PM

Hughes Marine in Wylie did mine, 2004 SX-190 a few weeks back. Call Gary (boatman25) for his best price
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Hydraulic steering - 06/25/20 12:00 AM

I did mine with the help of my 10 year old daughter. We did it in one day. Not a hard job! Hole saw, saw zaw, general hand tool. I will never not have hydraulic steering again on my boat!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum