Texas Fishing Forum

Shout out to Dobyns Rods

Posted By: Trever

Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 04:25 PM

My DC 683 C broke during my last tournament. I sent it off to Dobyns on 6/10 along with a check that included the replacement fee, upgrade fee (I asked for the DC 703 C), and return shipping. I received my new DC 703 C today. Included with my new rod was the check I sent. They replaced my broken rod with the upgraded rod I requested - no cost.

I was a fan of Dobyns rods already but now I'm going to have a hard time going anywhere else. Thought I would share my experience in the event anyone was curious about how Dobyns treats their customers. Thanks Dobyns!
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 04:32 PM

Been using them for a while now and I have never had an issue.
Posted By: racing75

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 07:00 PM

I’ve been using one for about a month and gonna buy some more. Made in Sulphur Springs Tx.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 07:25 PM

Don't hear many examples of that kind of service, especially in these tough economic times.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by racing75
I’ve been using one for about a month and gonna buy some more. Made in Sulphur Springs Tx.

They're excellent rods, but they are not made in Sulphur Springs...
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 10:21 PM

I’ve been using one for about a month and gonna buy some more. Headquartered in Sulphur Springs Tx, made in China.

FIFY
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
I’ve been using one for about a month and gonna buy some more. Headquartered in Sulphur Springs Tx, made in China.

FIFY

Yes, you did. Almost ALL of them are made in China. The "manufacturer" effort is generally down to picking which blank they want, what hardware & finish, etc.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/16/20 11:44 PM

Gary Dobyns is first rate for sure.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 01:49 AM

I only have 2 at the moment but I like them. cheers
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 01:54 AM

I’m about to pull the trigger on a new Dobyns rod. I have just about always used St. Croix but I want to try something different for my next rod. Literally none of the reviews or discussions out there I’ve seen regarding dobyns rods have been negative. Also St. Croix customer service doesn’t seem quite as good as it used to be. Any time I see a post like this, pushes me even closer to making the switch.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc57

They're excellent rods, but they are not made in Sulphur Springs...

Sulfur Springs China.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 02:11 PM

Great customer service.... They have always went above and beyond for me
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 02:38 PM

As I get old(er) customer service and how I am treated mean far more than when I was young! So, IMHO THAT'S how you treat customers!

J.R., I would personally highly suggest that if you can afford them, buy the Champion or Champion XP series. I had bad luck with the Fury series but they are inexpensive, relatively speaking. I've owned 3 or 4 of the Champions and found them to be sensitive and nearly indestructible.

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 07:47 PM

I wad thinking of trying the Sierra Series. I’ll definitely shop around and if I can find a deal on the Champion Series that I can’t pass up, I’ll probably go with one, but at full msrp they are a bit out of my budget at the moment.

Have you had any experience with the Sierras? From the reviews I’ve read online it seems that it’s a huge upgrade from the Fury and better quality, too. Looks like it also comes in two versions: one with Fuji Alconite guides and one with Fuji Micro Guides.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 08:19 PM

I've been using Dobyns rods since Gary first started the company. When I lived in Northern CA I lived just over an hour away from the Dobyns shop in Yuba City. The best part of that situation was I could go by there and try out and compare every rod that I was interested in. You guys who live anywhere near Sulfur Springs should consider taking advantage of that opportunity. Many times Gary was there and walked me through the models and helped me decide what rods would fit my needs. I have owned dozens of Dobyns rods over the years and even though I have had a couple of issues I can tell you Gary has busted his azz to make sure I was happy with resolution. I know it's impossible to please everyone but I sincerely believe he tries his best to do it.
Posted By: DCJohnson

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 08:22 PM

I have 11 Dobyns rods.....3 Furys, 4 Sierras, 1 Champion XP, and 3 Champion Extremes. I think all of them are great rods for the money you spend on the respective series. I love my Champion Extremes (795 Flip and two 745s), but I know they cost more than many want to spend. I bought one of them used and picked up the other 2 for about 25% off of MSRP. I really like the Sierras for the money. I have the 683, 703, 704, and 734 and love all 4 of them.

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 08:47 PM

I
Originally Posted by J. R.
I wad thinking of trying the Sierra Series. I’ll definitely shop around and if I can find a deal on the Champion Series that I can’t pass up, I’ll probably go with one, but at full msrp they are a bit out of my budget at the moment.

Have you had any experience with the Sierras? From the reviews I’ve read online it seems that it’s a huge upgrade from the Fury and better quality, too. Looks like it also comes in two versions: one with Fuji Alconite guides and one with Fuji Micro Guides.

I would stay away from the micro guides, but I really like the Sierra line. I have 4 of those and I really like them. I also have a bunch of other Dobyns rods, 4 Fury's and a bunch of Champions, mostly the older Champions and one of the XP Champions.. I also have 1 Extacy.

If you can go by the warehouse in Sulfur Springs, I would do that because they have a ton of trade in rods that they sell right there. Huge selection.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 09:11 PM

I recently bought a few Sierras after really enjoying my Fury 735C.
They are much better. Lighter, more sensitive, higher quality. Well worth the extra $50.

I still want to try some Champions, but can't justify spending that much on my hobby right now.
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/17/20 09:34 PM

J.R. Yes, I have one Sierra that is as beat up as any rod I have ever owned and it still has no issues, other than it's ugly, with mangled cork and badly scratched. IMHO, the Sierra series is a major step up from the Fury series, as Lee said.

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/18/20 03:59 AM

Guess I’m making a trip to Sulphur Springs tomorrow when I have time then!

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/18/20 04:00 AM

ForneySkeeter and Lee, thank you for your info and recommendations, I’m going to go with the Sierra Series.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/18/20 01:48 PM

I have 4 or 5. I really like the no questions asked replacement fee warranty on these rods. I've had to use it about 3x.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/18/20 10:56 PM

ForneySkeeter and Lee, thank you for your info and recommendations, I’m going to go with the Sierra Series.

If you're a veteran Dobyns will give you a pretty good discount.

Re: Shout out to Dobyns Rods - 06/21/20 12:40 AM

Guess I’m making a trip to Sulphur Springs tomorrow when I have time then!

Good idea. You will be impressed and save some money.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum