Texas Fishing Forum

Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted

Posted By: ReelSlow

Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 12:45 PM

One of my kids recently moved to Ocklawaha FL which is close to Ocala Nat'l Forest. Reading up on the Bass fishing around there it looks like a great area to get onto small water in a small boat. Looks like a lot of small lakes and from what I can tell, within the Nat'l Forest, a lot of remote secluded water to fish.

Anyone familiar with the area? I will be going to visit soon and often. I am looking for a boat to purchase locally and take there and leave. I will be making the trip often to spend as much time as I can with my Grandson.

Looking for recommendations for a ~$4000 budget aluminum fishing boat, motor, trailer to take and leave there.

I joined the Florida Fishing Forum. There isn't much action there on the Bass Fishing Forum.

thanks

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 01:31 PM

I have a friend that guides on Stick Marsh. Don't have a clue if it is even in the area that you will be going to. If you could do a little research to let me know; then I will hook you up with him for advice.

http://www.haulinbassguide.com/destinations/
Posted By: Alan

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 02:52 PM

I used to fish in that area a lot when I was younger. Orange and Locloosa are big lakes hooked together by a canal. They were super low for awhile but are full now and fishing is good. Half Moon lake is small and we always did well. Ocala forest is loaded with small lakes but check wirh locals before you go in there because meth and drugs make some areas iffy. Doug Hannon has some good videos catching big bass in small lakes there. I love fishing natural lakes. Cold fronts can shut off fishing there.
Posted By: Alan

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 02:58 PM

The Ocklawaha river is beautiful and flows thru some nice lakes and you can get to Silver Spring also.
Posted By: doctorb

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 03:14 PM

I used to live in Gainesville. The Ocala National Forest has a bunch of drugged up hippies that live in there. I think I would fish somewhere else. Bass fishing in Texas is 20 times better than in Florida. The best small boat fishing I found was at Teneroc in Lakeland. It is a state run area with old phosphate pits that you can fish.

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 09:21 PM

thanks to all responders

My daughter told me she thought there were a lot of sketchy areas around there. My goal is to get a boat to leave at her place and start learning the area. I here those that say Texas is better bass fishing, however my grandson is there and I am retired, so I will be there as often as I can for a week or so at a time. I see myself spending a lot of time fishing while there several trips a year.

I figure a $4000 boat should get me around pretty well. I want to avoid towing the 20' CC there and back every trip. She has a beater truck I can use while there to reduce the vandalism risk in sketchy areas.

Lake Weir looks like a good place to start. Anyone know anything about it?

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
I have a friend that guides on Stick Marsh. Don't have a clue if it is even in the area that you will be going to. If you could do a little research to let me know; then I will hook you up with him for advice.

http://www.haulinbassguide.com/destinations/

Thanks Donald, My daughter's place is close to Lake Wier, Eustis, Yale, Harris, Griffin . Eeralda Marsh, George, Crescent area. Looks Like your buddy is a couple hours away. If he has some recommendations I greatly appreciate that Bud!
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/15/20 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
One of my kids recently moved to Ocklawaha FL which is close to Ocala Nat'l Forest. Reading up on the Bass fishing around there it looks like a great area to get onto small water in a small boat. Looks like a lot of small lakes and from what I can tell, within the Nat'l Forest, a lot of remote secluded water to fish.

Anyone familiar with the area? I will be going to visit soon and often. I am looking for a boat to purchase locally and take there and leave. I will be making the trip often to spend as much time as I can with my Grandson.

Looking for recommendations for a ~$4000 budget aluminum fishing boat, motor, trailer to take and leave there.

I joined the Florida Fishing Forum. There isn't much action there on the Bass Fishing Forum.

thanks

Grew up fishing the S. part and in reading that's what you're asking about. Ocklawaha is black water - very good fishing - the ponds in Ocala NF are great - sand filtered clear water and in some cases springs. Niccatoon Lake - look for Altoona on 19 & go west on 42 till you find it - superb fishing for bass & chain pickerel. The big lakes are just that - big lakes - no different fishing than any other lake situation. Good luck!

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/16/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1956Zebco

thanks

Grew up fishing the S. part and in reading that's what you're asking about. Ocklawaha is black water - very good fishing - the ponds in Ocala NF are great - sand filtered clear water and in some cases springs. Niccatoon Lake - look for Altoona on 19 & go west on 42 till you find it - superb fishing for bass & chain pickerel. The big lakes are just that - big lakes - no different fishing than any other lake situation. Good luck!

awesome info thank you!
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Ocala Nat'l Forest Florida Area Knowledge Wanted - 06/16/20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1956Zebco

thanks

awesome info thank you!

Not quite so awesome . . . The place I was going to zero you into (arrow) and really the whole lake - is dry . . . I guess the folks in Miami flushed twice . . . and a stark reminder to me of why I left Florida.

[Linked Image]

Back to square one: Ocklawaha: boat ramp on 42 is the S. 1/2 of it and lightly fished. This is the old steamboat channel from the 1800's. Dam at the N end on the other side is the Silver Springs side of the river (thence N & much more great fishing). Black water - fish slow for crappie and you'll get them in numbers. Altoona & 19N you'll see boat ramps to several clear lakes/ponds - good technical fishing (gin clear). Right at 40/19 - takes you to St. Johns boat ramps - excellent fishing & you may get into a tarpon & saltwater fish as they come many miles up fresh - you can even crab trap. You can also take google maps switch to satellite view and scan the Ocala Forest for ponds/lakes that aren't dry -- if you find good targets zoom down and find the deep parts - that's your target. The shallow areas are usually so clear it's extreme technical fishing (slow - light clear line) that few (myself included) really have the patience for. The deeper areas are easier and what most of us are used to. Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum