Texas Fishing Forum

Wisdom Wanted!

Posted By: MightyMas

Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 04:41 PM

Avid bass anglers,

From wiser and more seasoned boating bass anglers, what are some things you know now that you wish you would've known starting out?

I'm 24 and have just recently begun bass fishing from a boat. I'm a lifelong shore and pond fisherman but am learning quickly that lake fishing from the water is a whole other ball game.
All tips are welcome: gear, finding fish, finding cover, essential baits, choosing baits, boating technique/etiquette/safety, where to spend money and where to skimp, when to stay and when to move spots, etc.
Thanks in advance for imparting your wisdom and saving me years of trial and error, can't wait to read and put to practice popcorn
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 04:57 PM

If I had to give advice to a person just starting out... Nothing replaces Time on the Water. Don't chase special lures/colors. They are just tools and several will work in a given situation. Spend more time focusing on fish behavior, biology, food chain etc . I also think focusing on one body of water accelerates the learning curve.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 05:01 PM

I'm with sdavis...don't feel compelled to buy a ton of baits. Stick to some basic colors in both plastic and hard baits. I'm betting that advice will be echoed as this thread grows.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 05:51 PM

Yep to the above advise^^^^! Start with the basics. Don’t have to have 15 rods on deck and the “latest-greatest” lures. A soft plastics(worms, craws, creature baits...) rod, a crank bait rod, a spinner bait rod, maybe a top water rod and a carolina rig set up.....Keep it simple(and affordable). It won’t be that long before you look in your tackle boxes and wonder where you came up with so many baits you don’t really need or use. Keep it basic and just go have fun!

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by sdavis24
If I had to give advice to a person just starting out... Nothing replaces Time on the Water. Don't chase special lures/colors. They are just tools and several will work in a given situation. Spend more time focusing on fish behavior, biology, food chain etc . I also think focusing on one body of water accelerates the learning curve.

Originally Posted by 1bassdaddy
I'm with sdavis...don't feel compelled to buy a ton of baits. Stick to some basic colors in both plastic and hard baits. I'm betting that advice will be echoed as this thread grows.

Thanks for these two tips ^ will save lots of money and travel
Posted By: Tiltedtitan

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 08:20 PM

I would say I would want to know what I'm using my equipment for. Instead of increasing my rods and lures, I would want to assess what rod will be used for what presentation. Some rods can be used in multiple applications. But I found myself buying rods on sale or on here that were resales... But I wish I had known to be more specific. I would start with 2 medium heavy 7ft rods, 1 heavy 7ft 3 inch, and 1 medium 7ft or 6ft 10 inch rod.

I would learn to cover water faster. Know the seasons and fish accordingly. Commit time to learning different techniques. Instead of fishing the way you like to catch them. This will increase your tool set and make you well rounded.

I would fish multiple fisheries to increase my diversity. I would ask questions on here and build relationships with others to share information and learn.

I would switch to tungsten as quick as possible. I would buy bobber stops from China and always peg my weight when flipping heavy cover and grass. I would fish fluorocarbon on Texas rig, jigs and cranks. I fish mono for spinnerbaits. Braid to mono for Carolina. I would retie more often.

I would watch a lot of content on YouTube, this helped bend the curve for me. I also really enjoyed the cup events in mlf. To watch pros put in the situation that we face with no knowledge of a lake. To see the struggle and problem solving and to see how they break it down. To see other types of fisheries that we do not have locally.

Instead of trying to force fish to bite on one area, I would move faster to cover more water.

I would attempt to pay attention to as many details as possible: sun, wind, moon, which bank, how long did I let it sit before moving, did they bite on the move or on the pause, shady side or sunny, what depth, what was the bottom composition, outside tree line or inside, horizontal tree or vertical, vary your retrieve speed, bottom contact is essential for cranking.

Down size weight and action when conditions are tough. Like a ned rig or 1/8 oz trig.

shallow water anchors are game changers.

I like change all my trolling motor batteries at one time.

Stock up on essentials when they are on sale.

Keep colors simple.

Learn different knots. Connection knots.

Make sure that you clean your reels. Don't leave your equipment on the deck when traveling because of the debris that gets in your worm gears and when bank fishing be mindful about laying your rods on the grass and dirt.

Don't be afraid to fish behind people.

Learn to use Google Earth if you're going to a new lake to study historical images via the timeline feature on Google maps. You also have to use Google maps on a PC or a Mac there is not a mobile version that has the timeline feature where you can go back in time to where the lake was drawn down and see where the creek channels are and rock formations and old ramps.

Use Navionics mobile to also study contour maps and be able to do plan your strategy before you get to the lake.

Be proactive on your trailer tires with proper maintenance to your bearings and your tire tread.

I would have extra oil for your boat in the boat or in the truck. Always check your fuel level. Do annual maintenance for your impeller. Every three or four months you can take your props off and make sure there's no line bound up in them.

Carry a spare prop whenever you're going away on a trip for your boat motor and trolling motor.

Invest in good rain gear. The cheap stuff always tears up very fast so you end up replacing it over and over again.

I would invest more in sensitivity for dragging techniques and pitching techniques then I would for cranking and moving baits.

If you are going to store your rods in a locker make sure that you have a mouse deterrent like dryer sheets or moth balls and never leave food in your boat.

I'm sure there's a hundred more things but this would be where I would start.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 08:51 PM

A very wise person (Johnny Neile a P-40 flight instructor, had flown them with Chennault in China) once told me to fly with as many instructors and good pilots as possible - if you fly with 10 - theoretically you'll be 10X as good as any of them because you pick up many tips no one person learns on their own. Works with fishing too. Fish with as many people as possible.

Fish have no respect for what logo is on the boat, poles, or lures or how much was paid for them. The bank does care, and wants the most expensive for you, and the longest payment stream possible. Try to avoid that whole trap.

If you get the bug to fish tournaments: remember this (even though there's thousands of videos telling you otherwise) - bass tournaments are won by fishing for bass that will actually win the tournament. Snatching sub-weight male after male off the beds doesn't win the tournament - knowing they are your fish attractor and the big females usually within 40 yards of the bed will win the tournament. Snatching the males will ensure up to 4 females egg production is potentially lost to bluegill, and especially crappie - in short - wasted effort for everyone. You may catch a female on the bed (rare) but you can always catch them at the first drop-off behind the bed in deeper water.

Thanks for asking your question - you'll be a good one I can tell - just by the asking.
Posted By: RuthlessK

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 11:10 PM

I have learned many things from Mr Donald Harper about bass fishing. Hopefully he chines in here and helps you out.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 11:39 PM

Buy cheap gear, fish green pumpkin, watermelon seed, black and blue plastics. Learn how to pitch and flip trees and brush. Spend a lot of time learning how to hit a target when casting, pitching, flipping. Buy no more than 10 crankbaits. A few frogs and maybe a spook. Learn how to use a carolina rig and a texas rig. That's it. Fish with better fishermen than yourself. Watch what they do.
Posted By: Bassnhog

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/14/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by MightyMas
Avid bass anglers,

From wiser and more seasoned boating bass anglers, what are some things you know now that you wish you would've known starting out?

I'm 24 and have just recently begun bass fishing from a boat. I'm a lifelong shore and pond fisherman but am learning quickly that lake fishing from the water is a whole other ball game.
All tips are welcome: gear, finding fish, finding cover, essential baits, choosing baits, boating technique/etiquette/safety, where to spend money and where to skimp, when to stay and when to move spots, etc.
Thanks in advance for imparting your wisdom and saving me years of trial and error, can't wait to read and put to practice popcorn

Put boat in water safely and quickly. Navigate water safely. Fish and maybe catch fish safely. Load boat back up safely and quickly. Go home safely. Drink beer at home.
Posted By: BASS GURU

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 12:22 AM

Lots of great advice has been given. No substitute for time on the water. If you are able, join a local bass club and fish in the back seat for a while.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 12:44 AM

I have posted a few articles on here. To be exact there are 23 of them so far that will help you get started; if you like to read. Ha..
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 12:47 AM

Install drain plug, unhook tie downs, take transom saver off, before you pull onto the ramp. Have all your gear & ice chest in the boat before you pull onto the ramp. It is very irritating when someone pulls onto the ramp, blocks a spot then starts getting the boat ready to launch. Be ready to dump the boat into the water when you pull onto the ramp.

When you come off plane and idle into the ramp trim the motor Up to the top of the "trim cycle". Many times there are rocks around the ramp to prevent erosion. Get into the habit of doing this. It surprises me how many guys idle into the ramp with their motor tucked all the way under and hit their prop on the rocks or the concrete ramp. I've watched several guys try to push their boats up onto the trailer with the motor tucked all the way under & wind up hitting their prop on the concrete. This is an expensive lesson if you have a high quality SS prop.

These 2 things sound like common sense but you would be surprised.

Power Poles are awesome if you can afford them. I love them. One of the new troll motors with spot lock technology truly is a game-changer. I used a 20# mushroom anchor & 100' of rope for summertime offshore fishing for 25 years before I got my first Ultrex TM. Spot Lock has made anchors obsolete. Thank goodness!

Good luck & be safe!
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 01:03 AM

Time on the water is important,....but so is time on the golf course, tennis court or the ball diamond. But none will
help you without someone to show you "how to"....!!! I think in every sport you need someone to teach you the right
way. Someone to explain to you the techniques and basics. Someone to pass along his experiences...someone to pass
along some wisdom. fish
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 02:02 AM

Safety first
Life jacket on and kill switch attached to you with lanyard when big motor running
Be vigilant with battery, hitch, trailer, tires, and boat maintenance.
Walk around the trailer three times after you hook up to the truck triple checking everything.
Be prepared to fix minor trailer, tire, and boat issues at all times
Have tools and a dependable, long set of jumper cables.

Buy a kayak for when the boat/trailer/etc is out of commission.
Mine came in handy the last two weeks waiting for new trailer license plate—mine must have fallen off sometime this winter/spring?
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 02:26 AM

Take care of yourself physically, especially your back, elbows and shoulders. Those are the parts of your body that will get the most wear and tear. Your back will take a beating in rough water, in any brand boat.
Wear long sleeves, and keep as little skin exposed as possible. Wear plenty of sunscreen on exposed areas. Skin cancer is very prevalent amongst fisherman, especially if you are fair skinned.
Make smart decisions about when to go and not go. Once you get out on the water, it's twice as bad as it looked from the shore. On large bodies of water watch the weather, if you're a long run from the ramp don't wait until the last minute, it can go from flat calm to 3-4 foot waves in minutes. If your line starts floating above the water or you hear a buzzing sound from your rod, you've already waited too long. Get the [censored] out of there asap.
Keep your boat well maintained and some tools to work on it, always have a sharp knife handy. Tell someone where you're going and when you plan to be back. Take an extra set of clothes, especially in the winter in case you fall in, and some extra food and water in case you break down and have to camp overnight. Make sure you're cell phone is fully charged before you leave, and you have the number for the game wardens programed into it.

Have fun! Be Safe!
Posted By: Rog

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 03:26 AM

You can catch fish in 2-3 fow on traps and chatterbaits when the water temp is 45 degrees.....in Jan and Feb especially on flats adjacent to creek channels with scattered hydrilla/grass. When you catch one fish that time of year stop and work area hard and be sure to take note how it bit......usually there are more stacked in area that time of year and you can rinse repeat and fill the boat with chunks. Like others have said keep it simple and don’t chase all the new craze and baits BUT don’t discount something new that works either.......hard balance. Lol
Posted By: Rog

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 03:30 AM

Oh yeah wear sun screen and/or sun shirts. My summertime uniform at your age was shorts and flip flops and sun screen was a thought. I now am 54 and go to the dermatologist every 6 months. They cut off something every visit and twice it has been skin cancer. So cover up or get ready to join a not so fun club.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 12:22 PM

Keep an anchor in the boat with at least 50 ft of anchor line in case you break down on the water and your trolling motor battery runs out and you are drifting ashore into rock, heavy timber or worst case a spillway. You don't want whoever comes to tow you to the ramp to damage their boat trying to get into the mess you drifted into.

https://www.boatus.com/landing/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx9vXoueD6gIVCQCGCh3dSAxqEAAYASAAEgIrXfD_BwE

A membership to boatus is a safety net for getting out on big water , they have a network of tow boats that will come save your azz.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 12:28 PM

Toilet Paper
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 01:26 PM

1. Pick one lake and learn it well. Then add in another.
2. Pick a couple lures and learn those presentations well. Then add in a few others.
3. Find a mentor. (Most important)
4. Fishing pressure matters more than weather. I'd rather fish a east wind Wednesday than a west wind Saturday. All that said, you can't catch them at home.

Good luck and stay safe!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 02:50 PM

All good advice given.
Here is another tip -
When I got my first boat, I was so excited that I now had the ability to move around the lake and finally "go where the fish were". I caught less fish in the first three months of boat ownership than at any other time of my life. I was frustrated, angry and questioning my fishing ability.....
I made mention of it to my wife, who told me, " you spend more time running up and down the lake than you do actually fishing now". I thought this was probably the silliest thing I'd heard and headed out to the lake. It was early spring on Fork and I headed to my "spot", where I caught one fish. As I was sitting down to leave, my wife's words came into my head. I stood back up and re-fished the area I was in and slowed way down. I spent the rest of the morning in about a 2 acre pocket and caught a lot of fish that day, including one over.
Just because you now can run - doesn't mean you should.
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 03:24 PM

Leave the boat at home and find some one or multiple some ones to fish with in their boat.
There is a partner finder section on here. Find a couple partners, help them with gas and
respect their boat and you will learn alot while doing it. (likely - both good and bad)

Oh, and strap in your rods before you go on plane.

smile
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 03:29 PM

Honestly the quickest way to learn a new body of water and/or new techniques is to fish with different people. I've learned more from my friends that I've either gone and fished with or invited to fish with me. But beware, if you fish tournaments you better stay off their sh!t! lol
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/15/20 04:30 PM

One of the best questions I've seen asked in a long long time!! All advise is excellent. But, if I were to boil it all down to what seems most important TO ME through years of trial and error, mostly error...

-Hire James Biggs a couple of times to have him teach you how to break down a lake!!! Get him to meet you at your home lake if he can. He will save you many years of frustration in a few hours!
-pick a few techniques that pretty much work all year and learn those-texas rig, squarebill, wacky senko, Carolina rig.
-buy ONLY the few colors that work pretty much everywhere and don't buy because YOU think the color will work. Buy baby brush hogs, senkos, and flukes, in green pumpkin blue or green, watermelon seed-DONE
-buy the best quality graphs you can afford and use them to find areas that should hold fish, then fish primarily where you see a few fish. There are usually far more there than you see.-contact Slade Daugherty and have him tune your graphs and help you!!
-consider the time of the year, water temp, etc. and fish spots that are most likely to hold fish at those times. Don't force it by fishing where you want to fish. Fish high percentage areas as is harped upon by Donald Harper, he's no dummy!!
-finally, spend time on the water
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/16/20 12:16 AM

Drop shot finesse worms and trick worms. Set up a rod for tx. rigging soft plastics.
Carolina rig super flukes, baby brush hogs, french frys and bubble frys.
Get you a rod for throwing shallow to medium crank baits as well as top water lures.
Watermelon colors work well on many lakes.
Use lighter colored soft plastics in clear water or bright skies and darker colors with either dirty water or dark skies.
Learn 3-4 good knots. Palomar, Pitzen, Uni and Alberto.
Learn how to read your depth finder. Study the lake you are fishing.
Balance your tackle, rod, reel and line for the technique you are going to use.

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/16/20 03:22 AM

WOW! I never imagined so many of you would step up to the plate with such great advice from experience both on catching fish in the short-run (technique/gear/tips) and the long-run (safety). I'm humbled that you would all take the time to share your knowledge with me. I'll have to print out these responses and keep them close.

I am in Waco for now, I'll reach out to local clubs to get connected. If any of you come to the region it'd be an honor to take the backseat and learn from a day on the water with you.
God bless and good fishing to all! grin
Posted By: haleywp

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/16/20 01:42 PM

One of the best things you can do is keep a log of every time you go fishing. Log things like Location, Date, Day of Week, Water Temp Start – End, Air Temp Start – End, Structure Type, Aquatic Veg, Weather, Wind MPH, Wind Direction, Water Clarity, Water Level, Contributing Factors, Total Number of Fish, Notes. Pressure High – Low, Moon Phase, Partner. You might want to get a pocket recorder and record the details of the day.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Wisdom Wanted! - 06/16/20 01:54 PM

There is no such a thing as a boat that is too long, buy all the warranty you can.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum