Texas Fishing Forum

Uh oh moments with your dog...

Posted By: i-Fish

Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/09/20 09:31 PM

The "taking your furry friend fishing" thread made me remember the time I took my black lab pup fishing for maybe the 2nd or 3rd time. Headed back to the ramp to go home, beached the boat and for the split second I lost track of her she hopped up on the deck and steps right on a treble hook. Immediate panic ensues. One hook is in the boat carpet and another hook is in her paw as she can't help but try and pull away and she's yelping her poor lungs out. I scramble up there and hold her down, thank the good Lord there is a bank fisherman 10 yards away. He comes over and I tell him what we gotta do and he's the one that's gotta yank on the braid to get the hook out of her paw. His face gets pretty flushed when I tell him that. Anyway, I snip the treble off of my square bill, get my grab bag for such an occasion, hold the hook shank down and tell our savior bank angler to let it rip! He closes his eyes, yanks the hook out and off the pup goes to take a potty like nothing ever happened. She was scared but luckily no injury. Don't know how I would have managed that situation without a helper. Hate to even think about that scenario. I was sure glad he was standing right there when it happened.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/09/20 09:40 PM

I ruined my yellow lab's love for the water.

Just a pup, maybe 6 months old or so.. Took him out on the boat on Lake Livingston in the winter. Long story short, he was running all over the boat having fun then fell overboard. This was his first introduction to water, so now he won't get in it over half way up his legs. Most the time not even that
Posted By: Resh

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/09/20 09:44 PM

Took my pup bank fishing for sandies when she was about 6 months old. Caught one and was putting it on the stringer and she bit the zoom tiny fluke that I had propped up over our cooler. Buried the jig head hook right in the side of her bottom lip. It went all the way in, past the barb, where I could slide the hook shank back and forth in her lip. Grabbed the needle nose, held onto her snout and yanked. Came straight out, she sneezed a couple times and pawed her head so I know she felt it, but with blood running down her chin she just started hopping around the bank again like nothing happened... tough pup.. and pretty stupid. She hasn't bit one since though.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/09/20 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429

Just a pup, maybe 6 months old or so.. Took him out on the boat on Lake Livingston in the winter. Long story short, he was running all over the boat having fun then fell overboard. This was his first introduction to water, so now he won't get in it over half way up his legs. Most the time not even that

roflmao

Mine did the same thing on her very first trip (4 months old MAYBE) on a warm day in January. Launched the boat and it took her all but 3 minutes to jump into the lake. 50 degrees. She wasn't happy. She's now a year and a half and she FINALLY ran right into the water on her own on Texoma a few weeks back and had a blast. Now she's a proper lab!!!
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/10/20 03:42 PM

Bet this one has never happened to one of y'all lol

The wife and I were catfishing on Murvaul a few years back with both of our labs... Well one decided to get a taste of the catfish charlie on the treble hook, yuppp she ate the treble hook. I tried to get it out, but it was to deep... I had to cut the line. We called the vet and she said just give her an entire loaf up bread that maybe it will bond with the hook and cover the barbs. Luckily, it worked... We took her in for x-rays about 5 days later and no hook was found. She pooped it out.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/10/20 06:17 PM

Bought my wife a little Pomeranian Black and tan color. I took her fishing with me all the time .She loved to ride in the boat and every time i set the hook on a crappie she would start barking and growling looking over the side of boat. iI was fishing a jig and cork and cork went under and i set the hook and i knew it wasn't a crappie . I had to get on the trolling motor to keep from breaking my line. Finally got fish up beside the boat , big bass it never jumped got net and dipped fish, dog jumped at the fish and went in the net. I am trying to get both in the boat and she was grabbing the fish and shaking the fish. She weighed 4 1/2 lbs. the bass weighed 10 lbs 4 oz. That was a rodeo.
Posted By: CrappieXpress

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/10/20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ETXfisher91

The wife and I were catfishing on Murvaul a few years back with both of our labs... Well one decided to get a taste of the catfish charlie on the treble hook, yuppp she ate the treble hook. I tried to get it out, but it was to deep... I had to cut the line. We called the vet and she said just give her an entire loaf up bread that maybe it will bond with the hook and cover the barbs. Luckily, it worked... We took her in for x-rays about 5 days later and no hook was found. She pooped it out.

You might think that would be uncommonly but I Had the exact same experience only with catfish Charlie. Went to the vet and the hook was clearly visible in her stomach on the x ray. Vet told us to leave it in there and it would dissolve on its own. Left there 100% in doubt and went back 2 days later and the hook was nowhere in sight from mouth to tail. Couldn’t believe it.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/10/20 07:37 PM

Several years ago, my son and I were headed to Possum Kingdom early in the morning with our buddie,
my yellow lab in the back of the truck. She liked to stand and lean over the tail gate and say Hi to everyone.
At the square in Weatheford at the light, I took off and went about two miles before another truck caught me and said, " Hey fellow, your dog fell out at the square in Weatherford.
We went back and got her, she was laying on the grass by the court house waiting for us to come and get her. She still had her chew toy in her mouth, but she never stood up and leaned on the tail gate anymore.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/10/20 07:53 PM

I took Cooterbrown ( Black and Tan Bloodhound) out fishing with me one day for the very first time and thought I would let him swim for awhile so off the deck of the boat he goes and never even slightly tried to swim nothing and he sinks like a 40 ton john deere tractor and completely disappears I freaked out and had to shed clothes in a hurry and dive in after him. I found him pulled his azz back up and he never got back in the boat again. Moral of the story is Bloodhounds not NOT know how to swim.
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/10/20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CrappieXpress
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91

You might think that would be uncommonly but I Had the exact same experience only with catfish Charlie. Went to the vet and the hook was clearly visible in her stomach on the x ray. Vet told us to leave it in there and it would dissolve on its own. Left there 100% in doubt and went back 2 days later and the hook was nowhere in sight from mouth to tail. Couldn’t believe it.

It was crazy!! lol I guess maybe it dissolved in her stomach then, I figured it came out with the bread.
Posted By: Fish2Chill 1

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger1
I took Cooterbrown ( Black and Tan Bloodhound) out fishing with me one day for the very first time and thought I would let him swim for awhile so off the deck of the boat he goes and never even slightly tried to swim nothing and he sinks like a 40 ton john deere tractor and completely disappears I freaked out and had to shed clothes in a hurry and dive in after him. I found him pulled his azz back up and he never got back in the boat again. Moral of the story is Bloodhounds not NOT know how to swim.

Well, that blows my theory that all dogs have a natural instinct to swim, but humans not so much.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger1

Sorry, I have to laugh at this... Majority of bulldogs cannot swim either. Their head is to heavy.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 03:26 AM

This^ Golden retriever, same age, different lake. Will not get in deeper than his legs. roflmao

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by i-Fish

roflmao

Mine did the same thing on her very first trip (4 months old MAYBE) on a warm day in January. Launched the boat and it took her all but 3 minutes to jump into the lake. 50 degrees. She wasn't happy. She's now a year and a half and she FINALLY ran right into the water on her own on Texoma a few weeks back and had a blast. Now she's a proper lab!!!

I need you to come make mine get in the water then.. He's about 3 years old now and still doesn't like it. No matter what you throw, or anything.

I was gonna make him a duck dog but that ended quick...... I love the pup to death, but really...? Water is your friend sir!

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Smurfs

This^ Golden retriever, same age, different lake. Will not get in deeper than his legs. roflmao

It really sucks to be honest! My past 4 dogs have been labs and you couldn't keep any of them out of the water if you tried. Like I said in above post, was going to eventually make this one a duck dog but that failed early.. I've worked with him anyway on retreveing and gun shyness, and he's great considering the limited training I've given him! But if he ain't gonna bail in the water then there's no need.

Oh well, I'll have to be the dog again I guess
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 04:08 PM

I went to cast a yellow magic one day, my Belgian Malinois snuck up behind me and i buried it in his face. It was all the way through his lip, he was running in circles yelping. I got him hugged in my arms and i'm trying to see how bad it is, i tried to move it a little and he jerked, buried the back hook in my finger. Now i'm thinking what in the world am i going to do. No way i can get all the way back across the lake and loaded and head to a vet. So as i hold him still i reach over and grab my pliers, only option is to rip out of my finger and his face at the same time. So here goes nothing, i rip it out of both of us and simultaneously he swats with his paw and buries the hook in his paw as it came out of his face and my finger. TRUE STORY. So i grab him again and rip it out of his paw. We are both bleeding like stuck pigs, the front deck of my boat looks like i gutted a deer. After a few minutes i look up and this guy in the marina is watching all this. He invites me over to use his hose to wash off my boat. My pup still has a 1/2in scar on his face from this experience.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 04:24 PM

1st Lab - Loved drinking lake water. Drank till he was swollen one day at the ramp while I was rigging the boat. We go on fishing and have a great time. On the way home he loved riding in the bed of the truck and I looked in the mirror and he was running around and circles and slipping down, etc. I got him and notice he is covered in sheet... he had exploded his bowels in the bed of the truck from i suspect drinking too much lake water. Spent the next hour cleaning him up so he could come in the house.

2nd Lab - Great dog - Never had any issues with him in the boat as long as you fed him. He would lay on back deck or seats and just relax or sleep.

3rd Lab - 1st trip to the lake he jumped out of the boat literally 1/4 mile from the bank and took off swimming. Trolling motor could not catch him so I can to crank up the motor and go after him and drag him back into the boat. Hour later he did it again... could not figure out what was going on, so I tied him to a cleat. 30 mins later he dives out still tied to the clean and almost drowned and knocked two combos in the lake. Was able to fish them back out, but man that was a day. A year later I'm still working on him to learn how to stay put, as he has jumped out the window of the truck and ran off and started greeting people.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Smurfs

It really sucks to be honest! My past 4 dogs have been labs and you couldn't keep any of them out of the water if you tried. Like I said in above post, was going to eventually make this one a duck dog but that failed early.. I've worked with him anyway on retreveing and gun shyness, and he's great considering the limited training I've given him! But if he ain't gonna bail in the water then there's no need.

Oh well, I'll have to be the dog again I guess

Bring em to Conroe and let em run around in the river with mine. Usually only takes them about 5 minutes to convince the non-swimmers they're missing out on all the fun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 07:41 PM

thumb
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Uh oh moments with your dog... - 06/11/20 09:23 PM

This happened back in late 60's/early 70's when I lived in Greenville Ms. One afternoon I went duck hunting in upper end of Lake Ferguson.Took my lab(Spook) along and we beached the boat in upper lake and walked alongside long ditch to a pothole north of lake....Nothing came in that afternoon and right before dark we start back.

There was big pile of driftwood beside the ditch and dog starting running around the brushpile and barking...I figured it was a rabbit so I just kept going thinking Spook would lose interest pretty quick and follow me....When I get to the boat ,I can still him running around the brushpile and climbing up into it so I yelling at him to come and I see him headed toward me....when he got closer,I could tell he had something in his mouth...it was about a half grown skunk and heruns up and tries to give it to me...the smell was overpowering already....I'm hollering at dog to drop it and finally he does...then skunk tries to get away,dog jumps right on top of him,grabs him and skunk sprays him some more..finally end up kicking the dog in mouth to make him turn skunk loose...made dog get in water and swim around which didn't help a bit getting the smell off him...

It's cold as hell,getting dark so get dog in boat and he goes to the back and proceeds to throw up all over a pile of cotton batting we used to use as camo netting(we had to throw that away later)....10 mile ride back to the ramp and I run as hard as I dared in the dark trying to keep that skunk smell behind me...
When I get back to ramp, I load boat trying to hold my nose from the nauseating stench...didn't have pick-up back then so my choice was to tie the dog in boat or let him in back seat of car where he usually rode....tried with freezing fingers to tie him in boat and finally gave up on that and put in him back seat while I drove home with all windows open....

Got home and put dog in his pen,drop clothes at door and head straight for the shower....My neighbor and hunting buddy came over and told me he had heard that tomato juice would kill skunk scent so dispatch wife to grocery store.She comes back with three of those large cans of cheap Hunt's tomato juice....I go back to dog pen and commenced pouring them over the dog....I do not recall ever seeing a more hideous or ridiculous sight than a black lab that has been doused in tomato juice nor a bigger mess in a dog pen....this lab like all labs can shake and throw water 20 ft in every direction....they can also throw skunk flavored tomato juice 20 ft. in every direction so I ended up with about as much on me as the dog....which necessitated me dropping my clothes at the door once more and taking my second shower of the night..did I mention that wives do not like washing skunk scented clothes...or husbands......

Left car windows down all night...my car was one of the cheap model Dodge Chargers and fortunately it had that naugahyde type seat covers... Next morning I used so much Pinesol and air fresheners trying to get the smell out that it smelled like a whorehouse for a month..Tomato juice worked on the dog but as long as I owned that car,when it would rain,you would smell faint odor of skunk....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum