Texas Fishing Forum

Most breathable mask/gaiter?

Posted By: texasAUtiger

Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 01:12 AM

What’s your favorite mask for fishing to keep the sun off your face?

Besides keeping the sun off me, my most important factor is how breathable the mask is. The only one I’ve found that I can wear for a long time without it fogging up my sun glasses is the Simms Sun Gaiter:

https://www.simmsfishing.com/sungaiter-2

What about you?
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 01:25 AM

I use the same, but they wear out within one season. My HUK one has lasted me over 2.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 02:08 AM

I have several of these, For some reason the covid has them sold out

https://m.tackledirect.com/gillz-gillzmasks.html
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 02:39 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKHPNGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these, seem to work pretty good, easy to breathe thru, cheap, the next couple months will detemine how much sun they block, but so far so good, comfortable.
Posted By: cwil

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 05:00 AM

Buff coolnet uv+
bought at Academy, only one I own so hard to compare.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by cwil
Buff coolnet uv+

SO you just wanted to see yourself make a post? ...as you can't contribute to the question at hand, why post?

I have some Simm's facemasks that have a perforated fabric in the mouth/nose area that seems to help.
Posted By: JoshT254

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 09:43 AM

Can't remember the brand but the one that Walmart carries in the fishing section. Its thin and really soft. I have one from Amazon i think i paid around $16 for that came with matching gloves.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 12:47 PM

This is the one I like.

http://www.yakangler.com/clothing-review/378-breathe-like-a-fish-element-mask
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 12:55 PM

This one from Academy is very breathable. cheers
Posted By: Barn

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by texasAUtiger
What’s your favorite mask for fishing to keep the sun off your face?

Besides keeping the sun off me, my most important factor is how breathable the mask is. The only one I’ve found that I can wear for a long time without it fogging up my sun glasses is the Simms Sun Gaiter:

https://www.simmsfishing.com/sungaiter-2

What about you?

I like this one the best too. I think it fits the best and also covers the neck better.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 01:29 PM

Cabelas used to make a great one until they got bought out
violin

Originally Posted by CCTX
Got the same catalog
I do see that the sun protection gloves now have limited availability
The last place I saw the sun protection mask available was on the Cabelas Canada website
[Linked Image]

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 01:51 PM

This is the one I currently use, and it’s great

[Linked Image]
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 01:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 03:08 PM

I really like this one from Gillz, but they have a note on their site saying that Covid has cleared out their inventory. That's ironic considering the portion that covers your mouth and nose is perforated for ventilation. Either way, it's the most breathable sun face mask I've found.

https://gillz-gear.com/collections/gillzmask
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 04:33 PM

Check out Shelta
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 09:36 PM

I prefer to just fish with hooded shirts (long sleeve or short sleeve) that have a pretty big hood. I always wear a hat as well. Keeps the sun off my face. I don't mind a gater when it's not 85+ degrees outside but when it's hot I just loathe having something tight around my neck and face all day. Hoodies solved that for me.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/09/20 10:47 PM

I wear the hoodies plus the facemask plus a wide brim breathable hat. I HATE sunscreen and since I went to the breathable stuff, I feel much better at the end of the day. If it gets too hot, just pour some cool water or soak the mask/hood.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Buff coolnet uv+

SO you just wanted to see yourself make a post? ...as you can't contribute to the question at hand, why post?

I have some Simm's facemasks that have a perforated fabric in the mouth/nose area that seems to help.

The question was “what’s your favorite.” Perhaps cwil doesn’t feel he has a need to try any others, and the one he mentioned is his favorite?

Either way, relax. 298 posts since 2009 is hardly the hallmark of a person who just likes to see themselves make a post.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 01:06 AM

Simms is great
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by blackhorse
Check out Shelta

Their hats are legit. I have one. Wide brim hat I ever owned.
Posted By: D1988

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 01:23 AM

Mojo made a great one then decide to stop making them. I found 10 on some site and bought them all. I work outside and wear one everyday. They are easy to breathe in and keeps the sun out. They are the best I have ever found but just my opinion.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
I wear the hoodies plus the facemask plus a wide brim breathable hat. I HATE sunscreen and since I went to the breathable stuff, I feel much better at the end of the day. If it gets too hot, just pour some cool water or soak the mask/hood.

This is what we have been doing as well.

The Huk ICON X Hoodie is a really good product! cheers
Posted By: Bermise

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 05:48 AM

Buff coolnet uv+

Reading comprehension is a skill you lack.
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 05:58 AM

Has anyone tried both the HUK and Simms gaiters? I’m torn between the two of them. The HUK one I’m looking at is like a traditional gaiter and it’s made of a sort of microfiber or dri-fit type of material. The Simms one linked here I like how it’s more contoured and has the breather area on the front of it. I’m curious as too which one fits better and is more breathable.

The basic cotton one I have now is too hot in the summer sun and a little hard to breathe in.
Posted By: MiggyFishing

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 11:52 AM

I have the HUK gaiter and really like it - very breathable and does not fog my glasses. No issues with it fitting nice and snug. Have only had a few months so can't speak to durability.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 12:05 PM

I picked up a gaiter and a hat made by a company called Mission at Walmart last weekend. They are made out of some type of fabric that when you wet it and snap it, it has some sort of cooling effect for a couple of hours then you just repeat the process. I used it mowing this past weekend and I was somewhat surprised at how it actually worked pretty good and kept me cool and protected from all of the dust and pollen from mowing. Can't wait to check it out in a tournament this weekend.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 12:45 PM

Biggest problem I have is because I have a big face and head physically not literally so the one size fits all is not comfortable at all. I can't even find a face mask that will fit to go to Walmart and a bandanna is to small too.
Posted By: Crankin_Hank

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 08:44 PM

Coolibar Sun Protection

They make good stuff.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by fordnut
Biggest problem I have is because I have a big face and head physically not literally so the one size fits all is not comfortable at all. I can't even find a face mask that will fit to go to Walmart and a bandanna is to small too.

The one I posted comfortably fits my jug head.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/10/20 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by J. R.
Has anyone tried both the HUK and Simms gaiters? I’m torn between the two of them. The HUK one I’m looking at is like a traditional gaiter and it’s made of a sort of microfiber or dri-fit type of material. The Simms one linked here I like how it’s more contoured and has the breather area on the front of it. I’m curious as too which one fits better and is more breathable.

The basic cotton one I have now is too hot in the summer sun and a little hard to breathe in.

I have both. The Huk is a cylindrical shape so it's not contoured to your head. It is really tight in places. I find it very uncomfortable to wear and it fogs up my sunglasses.

The Simms, on the other hand, is quite contoured for the head and face area. It has holes across the nose and mouth area that greatly reduce any fogging. It is very enjoyable to wear but I've used mine for two seasons and it is pretty worn out now. I'd happily buy another but just wanted to see what else people have experience with.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 03:59 AM

Thanks for the response! I think I’m going to have to go with the Simms one then. The contoured style does seem like it would be more bearable to have on all day out on the water.

The cotton one I have now seems to have the same issue as the HUK one you have. Tight in spots and dogs up glasses. On top of that, mine seems to get too hot in the summer. Might be fine for colder weather fishing though, to help keep warm on those cold and windy days.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 05:29 AM

I wasn't aware that anyone made one of cotton. That would be horrid to wear as cotton holds moisture. All of the ones I have are made with one or more types of synthetic fabric with wicking properties. Some have a different fabric finish on the inside vs. outside to facilitate the movement of moisture in the correct direction.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 07:03 AM

I’m almost positive that’s what it is. It feels just like a regular t-shirt. It does seem to hold moisture rather than wick it away.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 07:11 AM

It makes sense from what you say, and I can certainly see the desire to find out what works better if that is your frame of reference. I have several brands, and find that any of them with special/perforated areas for the mouth and nose provide the most free breathing and reduction of any chance of fogging sunglasses.

The wicking tech fabrics go to great lengths to pull the moisture from your skin and move it to the exterior of the mask, where the hope is that evaporation will remove it. This evaporation in itself can provide a cooling effect, making the mask a desirable item to wear. I have been known to pour some of my cold bottled water over the face area of mine just for that evaporative cooling.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 12:55 PM

Buff coolnet uv+

How is what he posted any different than what you did? He gave one option and so did you. Go back to the OT.
Posted By: Big C

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 09:03 PM

As I can even sunburn through a truck window, I tend to look like the mummy when I'm out on the water. I've tried most every brand out there. IME, the ones on Amazon meant for motorcyclists work just as well and they are a lot cheaper.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 09:15 PM

Any that you can spit snuff through? confused laugh
Posted By: gander

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/11/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Buff coolnet uv+

The question was “what’s your favorite.” Perhaps cwil doesn’t feel he has a need to try any others, and the one he mentioned is his favorite?

Either way, relax. 298 posts since 2009 is hardly the hallmark of a person who just likes to see themselves make a post.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/12/20 02:00 AM

Yeah something that wicks moisture is definitely a top priority. I need something to keep cool while staying protected from being scorched in this hot summertime heat.
Posted By: Chipman11

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/12/20 05:15 AM

I have one from Columbia, same material as their shirts. It has small holes in the mouth/nose area that are nice.

Re: Most breathable mask/gaiter? - 06/14/20 04:14 AM

Is it contoured fit or is it just like a sleeve? I love the Columbia shirts and wear them almost every time I fish. If their gaiter is fitted and comfortable I’d be willing to try it out, but the Simms one is looking most appealing at the moment.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum