Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Naconiche

Posted By: dk2429

Lake Naconiche - 06/08/20 05:58 AM

After accepting the fact that Houston County has failed me the past 2 trips, I gotta find me a new lake to give a shot. Gonna try to head up to Lake Naconiche sometime in the near future. Never have been, have a few questions.. Heard this lake is bad [censored]

-It's not a very big lake, 692 acres according to TPWD. Is it idle speed only?
-What do I expect as far as fishing? Grass, deep water, timber, ....? If it's as grassy as Athens was then I'll take this lake off my list.

Just any input from those who have fished this lake! Thanks
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Lake Naconiche - 06/08/20 12:19 PM

1250 acres. Never been, but if it has grass, it has bass!
Posted By: TopwaterTom

Re: Lake Naconiche - 06/08/20 01:03 PM

Naconiche is a great lake. Fishes best in the spring, from what I've found. The main lake area by the ramp is pretty wide open and you can run there, but once you start up either of the arms, its all timber. Once I see the timber, I'm at idle only. I've seen a few crazy guys run, but they must be a bit out there. They have the center of the boat lanes marked with white poles, but be very careful as I've seen and hit many floaters. We were up there in April and the ticket I found was weightless worms, they wouldn't hit anything but that. Good luck!
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Lake Naconiche - 06/08/20 01:10 PM

They lake can fish tough, but it's got some big ones in there. C-rig crawled through the timber produces the best for me, although my bigger fish have all come off cranks. There is some grass, but generally speaking the shorelines are pretty steep so not a lot of large grass flats. Both arms have marked boat lanes, but some of the markers are missing so until you know the route if you just ran what looked like the right path there is about a 95% chance you'd make a mistake and have a bad day. Also you have about 1 boat width in spots, so stray off the markers even a tiny bit and you are going to have a bad day. Best just to idle in my opinion.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Lake Naconiche - 06/08/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
After accepting the fact that Houston County has failed me the past 2 trips, I gotta find me a new lake to give a shot. Gonna try to head up to Lake Naconiche sometime in the near future. Never have been, have a few questions.. Heard this lake is bad [censored]

-What do I expect as far as fishing? Grass, deep water, timber, ....? If it's as grassy as Athens was then I'll take this lake off my list.

Lots of grass all around the lake. Mainly hydrilla. Grows from about 3 ft to 10ft. lines the whole lake. Lots of timber and the whole bottom of the lake is a giant brush pile. The lake must have been mostly swamp before flooding, because there is not much contour past 10ft. So to me it fishes like a bowl. Guys to seem lots of luck in pinch points, finding schooling bass.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Lake Naconiche - 06/08/20 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by LakeForkGroupie
Originally Posted by dk2429

Lots of grass all around the lake. Mainly hydrilla. Grows from about 3 ft to 10ft. lines the whole lake. Lots of timber and the whole bottom of the lake is a giant brush pile. The lake must have been mostly swamp before flooding, because there is not much contour past 10ft. So to me it fishes like a bowl. Guys to seem lots of luck in pinch points, finding schooling bass.

That isn't a bad description of her! cheers

You can open her up if you are running to and from the dam but if you are over idle in the rest of the lake you will be taking your chances of hitting something!

When someone describes it as "There is a lot of timber!" they might be downplaying it some. bolt

There is a ton of timber..."But wait! There's more!" welcome
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum