Texas Fishing Forum

Boat storage problem

Posted By: Ben B

Boat storage problem - 05/31/20 03:48 PM

Hopefully closing the deal on a boat this week, but just discovered a challenge. The garage I had intended to store it in is 81" from the ground to the lip of the garage door when it is all the way up. The boat is a Skeeter ZX200 and on the website it says the height on trailer in towing position is 90". I was wondering if anyone possibly had any idea what the height would be if I trimmed the engine down - could I get it under the garage door? Obviously I would still need to keep the skeg from dragging, but does anyone know if this is feasible from experience?

The other issue I have is that I would like to add power poles in the future, but I know those poles usually are taller than engine when on the trailer. Once I actually get the boat inside the garage - height is no longer an issue. But has anyone ever had to deploy their poles half way or so to lower their height to fit under a garage door?

I know all this sounds ridiculous and believe me, I don't want to recreate a circus. If I have to I'll just take it to a storage place and pay, but I'd rather not. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! breakdance
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Boat storage problem - 05/31/20 04:57 PM

You can trim the motor all the way down on the newer skeeter trailers and the skeg clears the ground. I don’t know if doing so will gain you THAT much clearance, but it might.

I have an older Skeeter, with a very low riding trailer, and I still have to lower the power poles (Blade 8ft) to get it in my standard sized garage. The power poles are about 6-7” higher that the motor cowling in towing position. When the motor is trimmed down, the motor is about a foot lower than the poles.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Boat storage problem - 05/31/20 05:38 PM

I'm not sure about the outboard or PP height but you can get tilt brackets for Talons....

Re: Boat storage problem - 05/31/20 05:48 PM

I'll be darn! Had no idea. That definitely fixes the shallow water anchor problem either way! I appreciate it.

Now I just need to figure out if I can trim the motor low enough for that engine cowling to clear and we should be in business...
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Boat storage problem - 05/31/20 05:55 PM

that has to be a typo on height, trimmed down to vertical and all the way up on a jack plate the outboard shouldn't be anywhere near 90", that is 7' 6".

and yes the talons have a tilt mount.

Re: Boat storage problem - 05/31/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
that has to be a typo on height, trimmed down to vertical and all the way up on a jack plate the outboard shouldn't be anywhere near 90", that is 7' 6".

and yes the talons have a tilt mount.

Well...you could be right. It does say "max height on trailer 90 inches" which if that's the case, maybe they are going off of the max height on the jack plate as well? That's definitely good news if that is the case.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: Boat storage problem - 05/31/20 06:52 PM

If once you trim down yoy are an inch or two from being able to fit it in the garage. You can lift the jack up or put your trailer ball as high as you can to get you a little bit more.
Posted By: FishFAN

Re: Boat storage problem - 06/05/20 01:44 AM

Ben,

Yes, I deploy my PPs each time I enter/leave my garage. If you deploy poles too low, the poles extend out wider than your boat/trailer and can cause another problem.

Slow and easy. It gets better with practice.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Boat storage problem - 06/05/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by bronco71
I'm not sure about the outboard or PP height but you can get tilt brackets for Talons....

Yup, have talons with the tilt brackets on my zx200.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum