Texas Fishing Forum

Evinrude to stop making outboards

Posted By: Matt Jackson

Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/27/20 10:59 PM

This is very interesting dropping outboard engines. Seems kinda sad to see this happening.

I wonder what the new technology is?

https://fishingtackleretailer.com/b...nes-signs-agreement-with-mercury-marine/
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/27/20 11:10 PM

BRP ends production of Etec outboards

Here's the official press release from BRP.

Thankfully their still going to honor warranties for now. I still have over 6 years left on my 10 year warranty.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/27/20 11:28 PM

I think at some point they will try to enter the 4-stroke market. In the release they said the decision came from the impact from Covid-19 but it seems that the 4-strokes would probably have more to do with it.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/27/20 11:32 PM

Sounds like a weak, poorly run company, not to be able to operate on a slimmer budget for 6 weeks and survive.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/27/20 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Sounds like a weak, poorly run company, not to be able to operate on a slimmer budget for 6 weeks and survive.

Techs around here absolutely HATE working on Evinrudes. Warranty work is a red-tape nightmare.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/27/20 11:55 PM

Wow glad I didn’t buy an evinrude.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 12:07 AM

be interesting to see who Jacob wheeler and andy morgan end up with....also gonna be a lot of loss of value to boats with e-rude engines on them....
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by beartrap
be interesting to see who Jacob wheeler and andy morgan end up with....also gonna be a lot of loss of value to boats with e-rude engines on them....

I’m sure Mercury, but you never know. Scott Martin is one I would watch to see which way he goes next year. That new 42’ Freeman has some pretty hardware attached to the back. I wonder if that will change as well.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 12:15 AM

Bass boats with Evinrudes have always been valued slightly less than one with a Merc or Yamaha, gonna be a lot worse now. 4 stroke technology was probably the nail in the coffin.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 12:31 AM

1907-2020... complications due to covid-19
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 12:36 AM

I was surprised they survived the Ficht virus.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 12:36 AM

The Wuhtan Flu got em
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 01:01 AM

I’m amazed some others are not following suit, Honda and Suzuki.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 01:22 AM

In that same article did you see this? That’s crazy as well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BAllen91

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Jackson

I’m sure Mercury, but you never know. Scott Martin is one I would watch to see which way he goes next year. That new 42’ Freeman has some pretty hardware attached to the back. I wonder if that will change as well.

Mercury makes a 300 too so he’ll be okay...
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955

That was surprising as well. hmmm
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 01:43 AM

I think the writing has been on the wall for the last year or two. I was hoping the 10 year warranty helped them out or atleast pushed others to do the same but they just dont sell enough
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:07 AM

Bombardier makes planes, that's a huge part of the company. If you've watched or read any business news the last month and a half the airline industry is suffering mightily.

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:09 AM

Wasn't Ficht an OMC virus?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by RayBob

Bombardier makes planes, that's a huge part of the company. If you've watched or read any business news the last month and a half the airline industry is suffering mightily.

Privately owned aircraft sales are like bass boat sales. They haven’t dropped a bit.
I live across the street from Triumph Aircraft....that place hasn’t shut down one minute since it opened a few years ago.

The only aerospace industry that is suffering is commercial air lines. Nobody is traveling around packed in planes.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:24 AM

I think it would be fair to say that they didn't survive the Ficht virus, it's just been a slow death. Gotta Buddy who has a e-Tech 250 on the back of a Stratos that runs extremely well
He said that the factory in order to keep their emissions within EPA limits installed colder sparkplugs and and dumbed down the computer. He had his flashed and put in the plugs for performance and that was and still is a strong motor. Kinda sad to see them go, used to run the old Johnsons back when they were OMC products.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by rxkid2001
Honda and Suzuki are big in the salt water side of it.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:38 AM

Yes, but I don't think evinrude ever really got anywhere near their market share back after that black eye.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Neches

I would really like a Honda or Suzuki on the back of my Ranger. Won’t be happening though. Just not enough maintenance places to take it to when it rarely needs service
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:52 AM

Still sad to see another casualty in the marine business. My guess is the BRP board made the decision to cut its losses and dump Evinrude due to the slump in the aircraft industry. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the bloodshed over this stupid Covid thing.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Still sad to see another casualty in the marine business. My guess is the BRP board made the decision to cut its losses and dump Evinrude due to the slump in the aircraft industry. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the bloodshed over this stupid Covid thing.

I don’t see how this virus has anything to do with them shutting down there engine side. We can’t get enough supplies in thru anyone to keep up. Sales are thru the roof at every dealer I know. We are selling 2-4 units a day

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 03:10 AM

I think Honda has a very good salt water following. From what I have read they are super reliable but slow compared to Yamaha and Mercury. I would give up speed for reliability not to mention their motor (silver) would match my boat.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by SC-001
1907-2020... complications due to covid-19

roflmao
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 06:12 AM

I still don’t believe boats sales are that great now.
More people loose jobs due to this nonsense it’s gonna be worse.
J D
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mudd

I don’t see how this virus has anything to do with them shutting down there engine side. We can’t get enough supplies in thru anyone to keep up. Sales are thru the roof at every dealer I know. We are selling 2-4 units a day

From the CEO's mouth:

“Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand,” said José Boisjoli, President and CEO of BRP."
Posted By: 361V

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 11:41 AM

Worldwide Yamaha accounts for 40% of all outboard motor sales. Other brands like Suzuki, Honda, Tohatsu...while not that common in the USA are very common in other countries. Suzuki and Honda have a huge followings worldwide in the saltwater market and are well know for their reliability. https://www.asia-pacificboating.com...ords-40-global-sales-of-outboard-engines Going to have to run my 2 stroke Merc Pro XS till it dies though! laugh
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 12:49 PM

Maybe they are going electric. Somebody has an 80HP out here already.

They say that we will all be driving (or be driven BY) electric cars in 15 years. Maybe boats are next.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 01:03 PM

I’m sure they aren’t the only company in the Fishing world that’s feeling the pinch right now. Curious to see how this downturn effects Sponsorship dollars across the different tours.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 01:11 PM

Go to the coast in any of the Gulf states and watch what the guys that use their boats every day to make a living with have hanging off the back. It's 90% F series yamahas. They simply last forever if you half way take care of them. You see more suzuki every year, but most of the Evinrude and Mercury motors in saltwater are on recreation boats with low hours. Many of the guides, crabbers, rig boats etc either experienced or saw how horrible the evinrude ficht motor was. It stranded lots of folks. Evinrude was never going to be a major player in saltwater again after that horrible motor.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:23 PM

Ran nothing but Evenrude/Johnson until the Ficht fiasco. Awful company just made the marine market better. Sorry for those still running them.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

Go to the coast in any of the Gulf states and watch what the guys that use their boats every day to make a living with have hanging off the back. It's 90% F series yamahas. They simply last forever if you half way take care of them. You see more suzuki every year, but most of the Evinrude and Mercury motors in saltwater are on recreation boats with low hours. Many of the guides, crabbers, rig boats etc either experienced or saw how horrible the evinrude ficht motor was. It stranded lots of folks. Evinrude was never going to be a major player in saltwater again after that horrible motor.

That used to be the case but Yamaha is behind the times at the moment.
Mercury is 6 weeks behind in producing outboards. Suzuki may be the one who prospers out of this.
Mercury is making engines as fast as they can and most of them go on salt water boats. Of all the builds on THT right now its probably 5 to 1 Merc or Suzuki compared to Yamaha.

Yamaha's big blunder is not fixing their 350. Its a good motor but I've noticed people avoid buying them used since Yamaha decided just replacing flywheels every 100 hours was the way to go.
Posted By: Basscat8263

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 03:17 PM

roflmao
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 04:46 PM

Look at pages 84 - 95. This shows the Project Ghost and Project M

http://ir.brp.com/static-files/4158a...7-29bd8420c6d8
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 05:13 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 05:29 PM

What is that, an inboard/outboard?
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

That used to be the case but Yamaha is behind the times at the moment.
Mercury is 6 weeks behind in producing outboards. Suzuki may be the one who prospers out of this.
Mercury is making engines as fast as they can and most of them go on salt water boats. Of all the builds on THT right now its probably 5 to 1 Merc or Suzuki compared to Yamaha.

Yamaha's big blunder is not fixing their 350. Its a good motor but I've noticed people avoid buying them used since Yamaha decided just replacing flywheels every 100 hours was the way to go.

hmmm

Just for kicks, I went down one canal in Shell Beach a few weeks back, just to see the motors people had. TX Tree Grower is wrong, it's more than 90%. Out of 52 motors, 50 of them were Yamaha F Series. grin

I've been around guide boats and crab boats for 2 straight months now every weekend, I've yet to see anything but a Yamaha F series on the working boats. I did see a Freeman with 4 Merc 350s on it though. Talking with a Yamaha Master Tech down there, he says those Mercs are strong, but the Yamaha F1 is the most reliable.
Posted By: SpankyMcbee

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 06:20 PM

I've been running an E-TEC for 6 years and it's been a great motor thus far, but I was planning on selling/trading my boat within the next year and getting into a new one. Curious to see what everyone thinks in regards to how much this move will affect value!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 06:36 PM

Lol. I have a 1992 Evinrude Intruder 150HP motor on a 178 ProGator boat that I fish out of about 3 days a week, bought new.

Had the carbs rebuilt once when Ethanol 1st got going, never been worked on besides that. Still running original SS prop.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Big Hopper
Maybe they are going electric. Somebody has an 80HP out here already.

They say that we will all be driving (or be driven BY) electric cars in 15 years. Maybe boats are next.

I'll start paddling before you see me with an electric outboard
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 07:19 PM

If I had a E-Tec, I wouldn't be worried about the warranty as much as I would be worried about getting parts after the warranty runs out.

Sad to see them go, Evinrude/Johnson was a staple in the outboard industry back to the 50's.

Pretty soon Bass Pro will be the Walmart of the Boating/Fishing industry. There won't be anyone else left, then they'll move all production to China.

Maybe an electric motor would be hard to get used to but if you haven't ridden in a Tesla, don't be too quick to condemn it. My financial planner has had a Tesla SUV for 4 years with ZERO problems.

Wayne
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by lurenthewind
If I had a E-Tec, I wouldn't be worried about the warranty as much as I would be worried about getting parts after the warranty runs out.

Sad to see them go, Evinrude/Johnson was a staple in the outboard industry back to the 50's.

Pretty soon Bass Pro will be the Walmart of the Boating/Fishing industry. There won't be anyone else left, then they'll move all production to China.

Maybe an electric motor would be hard to get used to but if you haven't ridden in a Tesla, don't be too quick to condemn it. My financial planner has had a Tesla SUV for 4 years with ZERO problems.

Wayne

This isnt Dubai or India, we run off gasoline and diesel here in the US.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429

Wayne

We used to run off horses too.

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/28/20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
Originally Posted by dk2429

Wayne

We used to run off horses too.

The efficiency of an electric motor being able to put power to the drive is awesome. My problem would be cost of batteries. Watched a video of an Tesla racing a Camaro(1200HP). The Camaro had no chance. Lost first race and blamed it on the lane. Tesla driver proposed second race and changing lanes for double or nothing. Camaro was out $1500 in two races.

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/29/20 01:45 AM

Privately owned aircraft sales are like bass boat sales. They haven’t dropped a bit.
I live across the street from Triumph Aircraft....that place hasn’t shut down one minute since it opened a few years ago.

The only aerospace industry that is suffering is commercial air lines. Nobody is traveling around packed in planes.

They are a commercial airlines manufacturer. https://www.aircraftcompare.com/manufacturers/bombardier-aerospace/

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/29/20 01:53 AM

Wayne

Tesla is awesome. Having said that the battery weight on a Long RangeTesla Model 3 is 1060 lbs. and range is 320 miles. Batteries need more improvement. The torque is amazing on the Tesla. 450 hp/ 470 ft/lbs
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/29/20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mudd

From the CEO's mouth:

“Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand,” said José Boisjoli, President and CEO of BRP."

“Never waste a good crisis”
That’s BS, it was time and that’s that. Just makes it sound like the management had no other choice once the “crisis” hit.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Evinrude to stop making outboards - 05/29/20 01:27 PM

The latest winners in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb have been electric Open Class vehicles. Formula 1 Racing now has a Formula E, that are equally fast.

A lot of refinement still needed, but I think it's on the way.

My investment guy also says, "We need to buy OIL companies." I said "Why". He says, "We are an oil economy, the price of oil will always go up." ............. Then it crashed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum