Texas Fishing Forum

Jacob wheeler duckett rods

Posted By: MemphisBelle

Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 11:10 AM

Just seen the Jacob wheeler series rods and they seem to be pretty nice rods. Have any of y’all fished with one? Any opinions on them? Just thinking about trying some new rods out
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 06:30 PM

MB.. I have the 7'2" MH spinning rod. I have used it for jigging a spoon for white bass and also shakey head fishing. I like it a lot so far.
BD
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 06:33 PM

If they're Duckett rods, they're garbage.
Posted By: Bassmaster150

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 07:47 PM

Why are Duckett rods garbage? Just curious as to what your experience was with them.
Posted By: SC 210

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 08:47 PM

I've owned 11 of them and 8 have broken somewhere on rod. I will say I did like the action on the Micro Magic Heavy and Kelly Jordan White Ice. That being said I wouldn't purchase another at any Price!!!
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 08:54 PM

Wow 2 post and negative nellie shows up.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 09:04 PM

I love the sensitivity of my micro magic pros, but have to admit I have replaced a bunch of the eyes over the years.

About 2 years ago I made the switch from those mesh rod sleeves to neoprene sleeves and haven't broken an eye since.

However, I have broken more eyes on the 3 Ducketts I own, than my other 12 or so rods combined. I don't know if it was just because they were the only 3 micro guides I own or not.
Posted By: Poodle

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 10:10 PM

I have 3 of them and I like them very much. I am going to be ordering me a new Wheeler spinning rod in the next month if they hold to their way of putting them on sale around first of June. The 3 I have, I purchased on sale for I think $104 dollars each. I am just a weekend fisher and just for fun not tournaments.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 10:15 PM

They're very light and sensitive, I really enjoy using them. But, they are very delicate and prone to breaking one way or another.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
I love the sensitivity of my micro magic pros, but have to admit I have replaced a bunch of the eyes over the years.

About 2 years ago I made the switch from those mesh rod sleeves to neoprene sleeves and haven't broken an eye since.

However, I have broken more eyes on the 3 Ducketts I own, than my other 12 or so rods combined. I don't know if it was just because they were the only 3 micro guides I own or not.

WOW, what are you doing with your rods that you break so many guides? I have had inserts pop out but I have never broken a guide on the rod.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

WOW, what are you doing with your rods that you break so many guides? I have had inserts pop out but I have never broken a guide on the rod.

Most of the time I leave the sleeves in my rod box and just slide the rods out. I think the micro guides were sticking through the sleeves and I was breaking them when I was sliding the rod out. Haven’t broken one since I switched to neoprene sleeves.

Never happened with my other rods, but don’t have any other micro guides, so I think that was my problem.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/20/20 11:25 PM

Rule number one!

* Never buy a rod with another mans name on it.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Rule number one!

Yeah it’s just a sales tactic, way too many “signature series” out there with the latest and greatest pro. I’m sure they are all decent for the price but you aren’t getting a really good stick. It just depends on what level of equipment you are in the market for. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 12:33 AM

what about G. Loomis?
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 12:35 AM

they would have to be real cheap before I would buy one, I like the feel of them but have broke to many guides on hook sets.

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 12:44 AM

Rule number one!

Steez your probably right lol! I know you talk about the h2o series quite often. Are they actually the real deal or just good for the money?

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
what about G. Loomis?

It’s a brand....not a professional anglers, “signature Series”, but you knew that. thumb

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by MemphisBelle
Rule number one!

Steez your probably right lol! I know you talk about the h2o series quite often. Are they actually the real deal or just good for the money?

They are the real deal, IMO. They use 30ton graphite, Nano resin technology for less resin to graphite ratio. A higher graphite to resin ratio makes for a stronger, lighter, rod. Stronger/lighter helps with sensitivity. They either have REAL Fuji guides, or PacBay titanium guides. Grade 2A Portuguese cork with only a little filler. Fuji reel seats. They also use the Fuji Concept guide spacing.

The only real drawback for me is the paint and the color. I like natural colored graphite rods and paint makes them heavier.

I like them. They are a great rod for the money.

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 01:07 AM

Rule number one!

They are the real deal, IMO. They use 30ton graphite, Nano resin technology for less resin to graphite ratio. A higher graphite to resin ratio makes for a stronger, lighter, rod. Stronger/lighter helps with sensitivity. They either have REAL Fuji guides, or PacBay titanium guides. Grade 2A Portuguese cork with only a little filler. Fuji reel seats. They also use the Fuji Concept guide spacing.

The only real drawback for me is the paint and the color. I like natural colored graphite rods and paint makes them heavier.

Have you ever tried the h2o reels?

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 01:18 AM

Rule number one!

Have you ever tried the h2o reels?

I bought one of the Tac40 reels. I lost the side cover the first day at the lake. I had to remove the side cover to adjust the brakes and dropped in the water after only one backlash/cast. roflmao

So, that was my only experience with one of their reels.

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 01:25 AM

😂😂 been there before. I’ll have to try out those h2o rods and probably stick with my daiwa reels
Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 01:39 AM

Sensitive rods but they do break. I was fishing with my buddy he said try this new rod snapped on the hook set he was in shock.
Posted By: Atta

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 02:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Boat flipping an 11.73 pounder with a Duckett Black Ice. I have over 20 Duckett rods and that's all I fish with. Id be lying if I told you I haven't broken any. I have replaced guide and broken rods plenty of times and even enough for me to spend nearly 3k on Dobyns rods from being mad at Duckett. Come to find out, Dobyns rods break just as easily (champ & champ extreme new models). Sold all the dobyns and continue to stay 100% Duckett rods. The issues have all but been solved since the release of the White Ice 2. I haven't broken one in 3+ years fishing in Florida's heavy cover. I have messed up some eyes but Duckett sent me new ones and I fixed it. If a rod is broken, send it in and get a new one NO QUESTIONS asked.

EVERY rod brand breaks I can assure you of that. To say that any of them are "junk" is nonsense. My buddy bought a Castaway Swim Jig rod for 300 bucks. It broke on a hookset & he was screwed. They would not replace the rod. Customer service goes a long way!

The Wheeler rods are good rods for 150 bucks. They have a more tapered tip to them and more moderate than other Ducketts. Im a fan of the foam EVA grips also but not big on the Blue/white color. The new Incite rods are also great rods if you prefer the regular size guides.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 02:50 PM

Rule number one!

I have wondered if the guys use their own series. I know Wheeler uses rods with the same paint scheme but is it the same blank and guides? Same for Hackney.
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Most of the time I leave the sleeves in my rod box and just slide the rods out. I think the micro guides were sticking through the sleeves and I was breaking them when I was sliding the rod out. Haven’t broken one since I switched to neoprene sleeves.

Never happened with my other rods, but don’t have any other micro guides, so I think that was my problem.

Same here. I own 15 Micro Magic rods. The sensitivity, actions and toughness of the blanks are enough for me to overlook the guides and having to replace them periodically. It doesn’t happen very often
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 04:21 PM

Rule number one!

Are there different series in the H2O rods? I checked last night and it looked like they had some cheap ones and some more expensive ones. Are the Tac40 rods what you recommend?

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Rule number one!

Are there different series in the H2O rods? I checked last night and it looked like they had some cheap ones and some more expensive ones. Are the Tac40 rods what you recommend?
There is definitely different series. The ones I really like are the blue ones. The Ethos Nano H2O series. The Tac40 I’ve never used. I have used the EthosHD rods too, but they have been replaced with the Nano series. The Nano series has nice little winding checks and anodized reel seat end rings. Also have laser etched H2O logos in the butt cap. They are really finished out like a $300+ rod.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 06:00 PM

Rule number one!

In the case of Jacob Wheeler, they could save letters and just put "Whiner" on the rod and be done with it.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
your probably right lol! I know you talk about the h2o series quite often. Are they actually the real deal or just good for the money?

There is definitely different series. The ones I really like are the blue ones. The Ethos Nano H2O series. The Tac40 I’ve never used. I have used the EthosHD rods too, but they have been replaced with the Nano series. The Nano series has nice little winding checks and anodized reel seat end rings. Also have laser etched H2O logos in the butt cap. They are really finished out like a $300+ rod.

Perfect. Thank you!
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 05/21/20 07:27 PM

FWIW - I can buy any kind of rods I want and almost all of mine are Duckett's. All rods have their issues from time but I love them.
Posted By: MiggyFishing

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/04/20 06:01 PM

Anyone have any experience with the 7'3" H model? Want something for frogging and flipping. Was also looking at the Dobyns Fury Mag Heavy (735 I believe is the model) and Shimano SLX 7'2" H... All are within that $100 to $150 price range. Any other suggestions are totally welcome as well.
Posted By: Big C

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 12:08 AM

I've used Duckett's in the past and can't say I cared much for them. That said, Wheeler proves it's the Indian, not the Arrow.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 06:08 AM

I’ve owned 2 Ducketts and they have both broken on Hookset or fighting fish...
Not good rods, for me anyway
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 10:05 AM

As others have said, the guide wraps really weak on the micro magics. Not a bad blank for the price but plan on losing one or two a year per rod
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Atta
[Linked Image]

That is an awesome shot! I'm surprised that rod didn't explode!!

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
[Linked Image]

Was it a Duckett?
grin
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
[Linked Image]

Was it a Duckett?
grin

If you were in the way, you better Duck-ett if dat fish is comin' yo' way!
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 01:15 PM

Every Duckett Rod I have owned has snapped in half rather quickly. They seem to be garbage. Kind of fitting though when you think about it.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 05:13 PM

Had about 20 of them 2 years ago and had terrible luck with eyes popping off or rods breaking for no reason. I loved the action and how light they were but way to many problems. I will say they are good on warranty but having to deal with all that is to much trouble. I switched to Impulse since then and not one problem so far they have been great rods.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/05/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by MiggyFishing
Anyone have any experience with the 7'3" H model? Want something for frogging and flipping. Was also looking at the Dobyns Fury Mag Heavy (735 I believe is the model) and Shimano SLX 7'2" H... All are within that $100 to $150 price range. Any other suggestions are totally welcome as well.

The 735 is my favorite rod for pitching. Never flipped before.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Jacob wheeler duckett rods - 06/06/20 01:28 AM

Sweet photo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum