Texas Fishing Forum

Running your graphs

Posted By: Rutster

Running your graphs - 05/19/20 07:53 PM

Does everyone leave their console graphs on all day when you are on the trolling motor? I know when people sell them they ask how many hours?? Other than networking with the front graph what are the reasons to keep them turned on? Hope I don't get blasted in comments...lol
Posted By: greenen

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 08:07 PM

I put mine on the console on standby when I'm up front.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 08:11 PM

The past couple of years I've gotten into the habit of putting my console graphs on standby when I'm on the trolling motor.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 08:24 PM

Doesn't it just look so cool to have them all on? roflmao
Anything left running will just eat power. The screen eats most of it by the way, as it takes a LOT of power to make it bright enough for viewing in sunlight.
As far as networking goes, they'll synch up very rapidly when they reconnect, so that's not a negative impact.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by greenen

This ^^^^^ thumb
Posted By: haleywp

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 09:29 PM

I put mine on stand-by unless I am going to fish shallow for a long stretch of time then it is turned off. One less ping the fish have to hear and when shallow not much help anyway.

Pat Haley
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 10:09 PM

Dumb question maybe, but how do you put a HDS 12 Live in standby mode?

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by texasAUtiger

Whenever you buy a complicated marine electronics item, did you ever notice that some booklets came with it? Those are called "owner's manuals". They make great reading material! bolt
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 10:45 PM

Push the power button once and a screen will pop up that says STANDBY. Touch the power button once to turn everything back on.

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
Push the power button once and a screen will pop up that says STANDBY. Touch the power button once to turn everything back on.

I was hoping he would go read the manual. You spoiled this experiment in continuing education!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Running your graphs - 05/19/20 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

I was hoping he would go read the manual. You spoiled this experiment in continuing education!

Not everyone gets a manual. My 2 HDS units did not, nor did my 1199 bird. The bird had a disc that covered install.
There are also guys who buy boats used that come with a set of keys and that is it.
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 12:02 AM

My 1199HD doesn't have a stand by mode, that I can find. I have been putting it in gps only while on the trolling motor to share waypoints. I have not found a Stand-by on it. I know I'm on tech
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 12:35 AM

+1
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 12:49 AM

You are correct. I just had two new Garmins with LiveScope installed. The Garmins came with no user manual in their respective box. Only an installation manual was included. The installers did take me out on the water and showed me several things to get me going. I asked about a user manual and they said Garmin has them on line.

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Not everyone gets a manual. My 2 HDS units did not, nor did my 1199 bird. The bird had a disc that covered install.
There are also guys who buy boats used that come with a set of keys and that is it.

Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by texasAUtiger

Whenever you buy a complicated marine electronics item, did you ever notice that some booklets came with it? Those are called "owner's manuals". They make great reading material! bolt

Electronics came with boat but no manuals.

Then again, in the time you took to write that, you could have told me, or even not replied at all, which would have been just fine.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 12:51 AM

If I'm just going out for a few hours I'll leave all 3 graphs on. On tournament days where I'm on the water for 8 plus hours I'll put the console graphs in standby while fishing.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Igofish2
My 1199HD doesn't have a stand by mode, that I can find. I have been putting it in gps only while on the trolling motor to share waypoints. I have not found a Stand-by on it. I know I'm on tech

I just turn my 1199 off while I'm fishing. I use it for mapping so no big deal.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 01:31 AM

I put my console on standby when on the trolling motor unless my partner needs to see waypoints offshore.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 01:42 AM

If I remember then I put it on standby but I don't worry about it much. If you have the correct sized battery then it shouldn't be a concern as far as the battery. Not sure if stby stops the time count or not to be honest. Hours on a FF don't really mean much just some people get hung up on them. Personally, I believe that turning on and off cause more damage than letting them run for 8 hours at a time.

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
If I remember then I put it on standby but I don't worry about it much. If you have the correct sized battery then it shouldn't be a concern as far as the battery. Not sure if stby stops the time count or not to be honest. Hours on a FF don't really mean much just some people get hung up on them. Personally, I believe that turning on and off cause more damage than letting them run for 8 hours at a time.

You'd be wrong. The component that takes the worst "wear" is the screen itself. The displays have to be driven very hard (power-wise) to generate enough brightness to be visible in sunlight. Getting a display design to a durability/reliability/run-life level to be product-worthy was actually one of the biggest challenges for development of the units we take for granted today. I'd venture to say that the display panel has the lowest MTBF of any component in the unit. They cook from the heat, and welcome any cool-down period; power cycles are generally meaningless to solid state designs.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 07:28 AM

I put my console graphs on standby unless I'm planning on staying up on the front deck for a long time, then I shut them off completely.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 11:45 AM

You'd be wrong. The component that takes the worst "wear" is the screen itself. The displays have to be driven very hard (power-wise) to generate enough brightness to be visible in sunlight. Getting a display design to a durability/reliability/run-life level to be product-worthy was actually one of the biggest challenges for development of the units we take for granted today. I'd venture to say that the display panel has the lowest MTBF of any component in the unit. They cook from the heat, and welcome any cool-down period; power cycles are generally meaningless to solid state designs.

Eh. Most are outdated and beyond their repair/support period before they wear out from use. Haha
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 11:47 AM

I turn my console unit off.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Eh. Most are outdated and beyond their repair/support period before they wear out from use. Haha

Yep. Call Lowrance with an issue on a 6 month old unit and they’ll tell you the problem is you need to upgrade to their newest unit.... roflmao
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Running your graphs - 05/20/20 12:38 PM

True about being outdated for repair. You have a problem and they ask you to send the unit in I think they send you a refurbished unit back. At least that what Lowrance did to two of my friends. They recorded their units serial number and got units back with different serial numbers. I know one of my friends unit was still under warranty. I don't know about the other. But according to one of the above posters I might not like that if the "displays"take the most wear from running and the refurbished unit they sent back had the snot ran out of it.
Posted By: BigVes

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 02:35 AM

Same. Saves battery
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 03:05 AM

Hmmm, never thought about it. I've always left mine on without issue. May change my ways. I checked and found an HDS-12 Carbon draws two amps with backlight and sonar on. Doesn't take much of that to kill a battery.

On another note, If your front graph uses the sensor in the back of the boat for sidescan, I think you need the network connection from the console unit....yes?
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 03:06 AM

Never thought about putting it on standby, will start doing this.

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pitdad
Hmmm, never thought about it. I've always left mine on without issue. May change my ways. I checked and found an HDS-12 Carbon draws two amps with backlight and sonar on. Doesn't take much of that to kill a battery.

On another note, If your front graph uses the sensor in the back of the boat for sidescan, I think you need the network connection from the console unit....yes?

Yes, you do need the networking for some other features/functions. But, my understanding is that the Standby function idles only the local display and "sonar" (where I believe that it will end up meaning 2D sonar). It shouldn't kill the networking function, and I'm betting it won't stop StructureScan either. How about testing it and let us know?

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by TomRom

True about being outdated for repair. You have a problem and they ask you to send the unit in I think they send you a refurbished unit back. At least that what Lowrance did to two of my friends. They recorded their units serial number and got units back with different serial numbers. I know one of my friends unit was still under warranty. I don't know about the other. But according to one of the above posters I might not like that if the "displays"take the most wear from running and the refurbished unit they sent back had the snot ran out of it.

Your concern is warranted. A display definitely has a lifespan, and it will vary (between two identical display components) due to ambient temperature, and to how "hard" the screen drivers are run (meaning brightness and contrast turned up high). Running them by itself generates quite a bit of heat in the display itself. Try putting your hand on the screen on a mild day and you'll find it to be quite warm. Add doing this in Texas summer sun, and that display is being cooked. They may be tough, but I wouldn't want one that had the snot run out of it in the past.

I'm not slamming Lowrance; I own a good bit of their stuff. I'm just stating the technical reality of the components that go into making a unit, and what we do or don't do to them that decreases the MTBF for that user profile.
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pitdad

Yes, you do need the networking for some other features/functions. But, my understanding is that the Standby function idles only the local display and "sonar" (where I believe that it will end up meaning 2D sonar). It shouldn't kill the networking function, and I'm betting it won't stop StructureScan either. How about testing it and let us know?

Correct...putting the console unit on standby does not effect the networking at all. Turning it off will effect SI, DI and mapping (if they map card is in the console unit).
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 12:44 PM

I usually put the console one on standby and then if making a longer run I'll put the front one in standby til I stop. I def think in pressured water having 2 sonars pinging puts the bass on edge.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 12:53 PM

Ok. I got a question.

If I turn on all four graphs that are networked with Ethernet and NMEA2000, then I turn on the sonic hub for some tunes, why does the sonic hub turn off if I turn off any one of the four graphs?

If I turn on only one graph, then activate audio or video from the sonic hub, if I then turn on a bow graph and turn it off, it turns off the sonic hub via NMEA2000.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 01:04 PM

Standy does not kill the sharing of waypoints, the sharing of the network, nor the sharing of the sidescan/downside. I do this often on my Carbon units. I put the console on standy and have my bow graph running sonar and side/down scan while fishing. Works out great and saves some juice.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 01:08 PM

Ok. I got a question.

If I turn on all four graphs that are networked with Ethernet and NMEA2000, then I turn on the sonic hub for some tunes, why does the sonic hub turn off if I turn off any one of the four graphs?

If I turn on only one graph, then activate audio or video from the sonic hub, if I then turn on a bow graph and turn it off, it turns off the sonic hub via NMEA2000.

I think this is due to the NMEA power and which unit has it connected to it main. The sonichub uses it's powersource, but when you activate a graph the NEMA powers on and causes to power linkages. Don't quote on that, but I think I remember seeing a diagram on this a great time back.

You may need to call Lowarance and walk it through with them.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Running your graphs - 05/21/20 01:52 PM

Ok. I got a question.

I don’t have a sonic hub, but I’m pretty sure that there is an option (maybe in the advanced menu) that tells the graph To or Not to control the sonic hub. You might play around with your graphs until you find that option and then only have 1 of the graphs controlling your hub.
© 2020 Texas Fishing Forum