Texas Fishing Forum

C-Rig Fishing

Posted By: Big C

C-Rig Fishing - 05/19/20 04:56 PM

Decent video on C-Rig fishing..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KslIVcqdWqs
Posted By: S Fatherree

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/19/20 05:31 PM

Thanks for sharing! One of the best things about a Carolina rig in addition to they are easy to rig up, it can fished through a wide variety of cover / depth, and is very simple to retrieve is the often overlooked fact that it is a great bait at transmitting what is on the bottom. Many anglers do not realize the importance of using their Carolina rigs and other dense lures such as a heavy tungsten football jig in order to transmit the bottom and to feel the harder spots. Our marine electronics do give us a decent idea of how dense the bottom composition is but by using a Carolina rig with a dense tungsten weight combined with sensitive fluorocarbon line or braided mainline this technique will allow an angler to feel exactly where the harder spots on the bottom are located at which is often where the majority of feeding bass prefer to be. I always have a Carolina rig out on the deck of my boat year round not only for its ability to simply catch more fish but just as importantly to help me feel the bottom density very well and find those sweet spots which are often times isolated patches of gravel or rocky bottoms on fisheries which primarily have a soft bottoms. When combined with a sensitive rod a Carolina rig can help you feel where the bottom composition changes from soft to hard and find those small sweet spots on expansive underwater structures. Whenever I can feel my Carolina rig weight drag across a hard spot on the bottom my next cast will be aimed at that same general area to see how large that dense bottom is in size. Lures are all tools and those lures which can transmit the bottom composition well can help you boat even more bass and find those sweet spots on vast underwater structures. Great video, good luck fishing everyone!
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/19/20 06:04 PM

This is very helpful.

I need to learn to do this better. I find that I don't feel the bottom nearly as well as it sounds like other people do. Maybe I need a better rod.

Also, what do the bites feel like? How subtle are they?
Posted By: MemphisBelle

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/19/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by texasAUtiger
This is very helpful.

I need to learn to do this better. I find that I don't feel the bottom nearly as well as it sounds like other people do. Maybe I need a better rod.

I fish a c-rig a lot and a lot of the bites do feel mushy. A lot of bites you just kinda pick up on it and it feels heavy or different. Sometimes they thump it though like a jig. Best places to fish a c-rig seem to be around rocks and hard bottom
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/19/20 06:40 PM

This is very helpful.

For me, the bite feels the same as if I were dragging a Texas Rig. Rod tip position, lack of slack in the line, and wind usually determine how sensitive I am to the bite.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/19/20 10:36 PM

the bite is like a jig bite, depends if they swim off with it or not and in what direction. hook sets are free.
Posted By: pop r

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/19/20 11:37 PM

thumb Great video!
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 12:03 AM

This is very helpful.

Drag it and pop it slightly every now and then. Will get you way more bites. Most bites on the drag are more of a pull back. You will normally feel the movement. Sometimes when we pop it, the bites more aggressive. Like a jig bite.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 12:26 AM

This is very helpful.

If you aren't feeling anything with a 1/2 -1 oz weight then, yes you need a more sensitive rod. With the C-rig I don't feel mushy bites, I usually feel a thump.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by MemphisBelle
This is very helpful.

I fish a c-rig a lot and a lot of the bites do feel mushy. A lot of bites you just kinda pick up on it and it feels heavy or different. Sometimes they thump it though like a jig. Best places to fish a c-rig seem to be around rocks and hard bottom

Best place to fish a C-rig is everywhere from shallow to deep.
Posted By: Vetbassman

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:14 AM

Thanks, very informative
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:36 AM

One of my favorite ways to fish. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:52 AM

Great info-I like to slowly swim a 10” Ol monster or recon worm on a C-Rig this time of year.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 03:47 AM

Sometimes they just load up on it just like a sinko. If it gets heavy set the hook. Where it's still touchy for me is when I'm fishing it in lots of rock, it can be hard to differentiate a bass just sucking it in and getting stuck in the rock. I usually just pause and see if I can feel any movement, but maybe there's a better way. Hook sets are free but you don't want to overdue it and potentially scare one off. If they won't hit a lizard or Big Baits worm I sometimes back off to a 7" finess worm to get bites. Got a 7'lber last week on one. Was a blast.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 03:58 AM

Other question. Currently using an old Falcon Carolina Rig rod gifted to me by me neighbors widow. So I like catching fish on it kind of in memory. But it's an XHeavy rod. I have several H or MH rods I could drop down to and as I fish a C-rig a lot wondering if I should? Advice? In the video he recommends a M/H. I generally fish 30lb braid to 12lb floro leader.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Greg W
Other question. Currently using an old Falcon Carolina Rig rod gifted to me by me neighbors widow. So I like catching fish on it kind of in memory. But it's an XHeavy rod. I have several H or MH rods I could drop down to and as I fish a C-rig a lot wondering if I should? Advice? In the video he recommends a M/H. I generally fish 30lb braid to 12lb floro leader.

I’ve always used a 7’6 Heavy rod. For all Carolina rigs. 1/2 oz and 1 oz. Power Tackle makes a 104.5 and 104 that’s extremely good for it. I would never throw it on a MH rod. With the size of the weights and casting, it puts way too much pressure on the blank. Also when your line is 20 or 30 yards out. You need power behind that rod on hook sets.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:12 PM

Sinkey, try the SB4 for C-Rig, I used to use the 2 rods you are but was recommended the SB4, it’s perfect!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
This is very helpful.

Drag it and pop it slightly every now and then. Will get you way more bites. Most bites on the drag are more of a pull back. You will normally feel the movement. Sometimes when we pop it, the bites more aggressive. Like a jig bite.

Definitely agree with the snapping. Especially in grass. One of my favorite ways to catch them prespawn in shallow grass is with a short leader and 1/4 to 3/8 oz weight. Slowly dragging through scattered grass and snapping occasionally. They will crush it. Also don't be afraid to go 1.25 oz out deep to keep in contact with the bottom. Just have the right rod for it. I use the falcon cara Carolina. 7'6 length
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:28 PM

I like an 8' rod for longer casts, more leverage on the sweep type hookset. I use a 1/2-3/4 ounce egg weight (I'm cheap). I like the longer rod to sling it a country mile. I also use a shorter leader and fish it rather fast. these are tips I have picked up by some great anglers the past few years..

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Sinkey, try the SB4 for C-Rig, I used to use the 2 rods you are but was recommended the SB4, it’s perfect!

I’ve been using the LPC 970 the last 2 years and love that rod too. Had Judy cut it to 7’6. It’s bad!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

I’ve been using the LPC 970 the last 2 years and love that rod too. Had Judy cut it to 7’6. It’s bad!

cheers
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 03:16 PM

This is very helpful.

Never heard that. Thanks Chris
Posted By: 206champion

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 04:22 PM

I have caught quite a few fish on a c rig but these are some good tips.
Posted By: dr14

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 04:48 PM

So what about leader length are y'all using on a lake like Fork?

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by dr14
So what about leader length are y'all using on a lake like Fork?

1/2 oz. shallower I use about a 3’ leader.
1 oz. deeper I use about a 5’ leader. Sometimes I’ll even go up to a 7’ leader.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 07:13 PM

Do ya'll ever use a t-rig setup/w bobber stops above and below the weight? Then slide the weight and stops to create the leader?
Posted By: 4967

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Do ya'll ever use a t-rig setup/w bobber stops above and below the weight? Then slide the weight and stops to create the leader?

Good way to go and eliminates a few potential knot failures.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 09:14 PM

no

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 09:16 PM

No, if my hook gets snagged I want to be able to break off my leader and keep my C-rig weight setup. I also like the feel of braid, so I fish braid to floro leader. 30lb braid to 12lb leader fo most applications.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/20/20 11:44 PM

No, if my hook gets snagged I want to be able to break off my leader and keep my C-rig weight setup. I also like the feel of braid, so I fish braid to floro leader. 30lb braid to 12lb leader fo most applications.

I used to use floro with stoppers. I switched to braid and floro leader and feel the bottom much better. Like GW said I either straighten the hook enough to get free or break it off somewhere from swivel to hook. When I broke off on straight floro the line was always jacked up stretched out and kinky. I had to play with my reels to adjust to throwing heavy baits on braid, took me a few cussin blown gaskets.
Posted By: MAC67STANG

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/21/20 12:00 AM

Great video, thanks for sharing

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/21/20 01:17 AM

If you're using good stops or even double stops you'll still only break off the hook and get your weights etc back
Posted By: dr14

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/21/20 12:50 PM

What brand/kind of stops are you using that will stay put. I can't find one that doesn't slip on the line.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/21/20 01:01 PM

I use the following on my C-rigs...

Diawa Tatula 7'6" H
Braided main line = 50 lb
Spro Power Swivel = Size 8
Sunline Sniper = 16 lb
1/2 Tg weight
Glass bead

I find this allows me to get free many times without breaking off and gives me the power on my hooksets to drive the bait home. I find it best to use this setup in the wind, but I'm starting to throw it more often that I realize.
Posted By: jbw3

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/21/20 01:38 PM

What brand/kind of stops are you using that will stay put. I can't find one that doesn't slip on the line.

I use the carolina keepers. When throwing 3/4 or 1 ounce i'll use two of them.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/22/20 12:31 AM

Cool thread.
I sometimes throw it into dense cover areas that nobody -hopefully-thinks to use it in.
I like the keepers as well just as you said jbw3.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/23/20 11:52 PM

Maybe it's the way I jerk but any time I use a glass bead with a tungsten weight the weight breaks the bead & cuts my line on the hookset. I was pitching at a fish on a bed with a 1/4 oz tungsten weight & a red glass bead. The fish bites & I set the hook. It was like someone cut my line with scissors. I re-rigged & did the same thing again.

I didn't realize what was happening until I set the hook & got half a bead back on my line. The piece I got back had a razor sharp edge. I started using two tungsten weights instead. I like a bullet weight on first then a barrel weight. The two tungsten weights hitting each other are very loud. Typically I use a 1/4 oz bullet & a 3/4 oz barrel.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/24/20 05:17 AM

Mark Davis has warned to never use a glass bead for the reason you stated. He also says tungsten gets "locked up" in rocks worse than lead, which is soft enough to give and come free.
Posted By: Big C

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/24/20 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by jbw3

I use the carolina keepers. When throwing 3/4 or 1 ounce i'll use two of them.

Same here. I also use a Lindy No Snag banana weight between two Carolina Keepers. Then put on a floating bullet style weight (floats actually) above the hook and peg it. Hook with some beef to it and a plastic, usually a lizard. This way, you only have one not in the chain.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/24/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

no

Not here either. The great thing about a properly rigged Carolina setup is the swivel and sliding weight. It is almost like a weightless presentation to the fish. They can pick up the bait and not feel the weight. Probably more natural feeling. If fish even can feel. Haha. I dunno.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/24/20 08:16 PM

Or just use two bobber stops under the weight instead of a swivel.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/24/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by tmd11111

no

Not here either. The great thing about a properly rigged Carolina setup is the swivel and sliding weight. It is almost like a weightless presentation to the fish. They can pick up the bait and not feel the weight. Probably more natural feeling. If fish even can feel. Haha. I dunno.

Agreed 100% Nix the bobber stops, tie good knots and carry on.
Posted By: Dylan C.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/25/20 03:14 AM

Thanks for the video! Went out and threw this rig for the first time on bport the other day, super fun to learn and feel everything your fishing through!
Posted By: BigTxBassMan

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/25/20 06:46 PM

Good info!
Posted By: 206champion

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/25/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dylan Coke
Thanks for the video! Went out and threw this rig for the first time on bport the other day, super fun to learn and feel everything your fishing through!

Did you catch any fish?

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/25/20 09:34 PM

I have a couple of Dobyns Extreme 784 rods that I use for Carolina rigging. Before that I used a Kistler Helium 7-6 H action, and before that I used a Falcon lizard dragger. If you don't have the space for a long rod a Dobyns 734, 744 or 745 work great also.
Reels I use for my Carolina rig are the Daiwa Tatula 150 HS and the Lews Super Duty wide spool. The Lews BB1 Pro with the large cranking knobs is another good choice.

I mostly use a 1/2-3/4 oz egg sinker but for shallow fishing through flooded grass I have been using a 3/8 tungsten weight and a short leader. The lighter smaller weight comes through the grass better.

I used to use braid as my main line but have gone to 20# invizx for my main line when I use the 1/2 to 3/4 oz weights. One reason for the switch is because when my weight gets stuck I can pull the line tight and then snap it back toward where I am hung up and with the stretch in the line it seems to snap off better and I can then shake it over what it was hung up on. With braid and zero stretch I used to have to troll to the other side of what I was hung up on (timber) to get it off. I could not get it to snap off with braid. On my light 3/8 oz Carolina rig I use 15# test P Line CXX because I want a strong line but don't feel the need to have a 20# main line.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/25/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I have a couple of Dobyns Extreme 784 rods that I use for Carolina rigging. Before that I used a Kistler Helium 7-6 H action, and before that I used a Falcon lizard dragger. If you don't have the space for a long rod a Dobyns 734, 744 or 745 work great also.
Reels I use for my Carolina rig are the Daiwa Tatula 150 HS and the Lews Super Duty wide spool. The Lews BB1 Pro with the large cranking knobs is another good choice.

I picked up the same rod when they had their 40% off sale. It's been a great rod for C-Rigs which is all I've used it for so far.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/26/20 08:38 PM

I am really starting to love a C-Rig. I'm not sure I've found something as effective at any depth. I love the fry on it right now, but senkos are always money.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/26/20 08:39 PM

By the way, the ALX Dragger is a great C-Rig rod. Give them a look.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/26/20 08:54 PM

I caught 14 last night in 3 hours all but 1 on a c-rig or drop shot. Worm must dangling out there works.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 12:13 AM

They make 3 different sizes of bobber stoppers.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 12:21 AM

I use like 10 bobber stops before and after the weight since the ones I have slip.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 12:32 AM

Wow, I just use a swivel and it works fine. 10 bobber stoppers... I will pass on that. I have never had an issue with using a swivel. Some people think it is better to have less knots but if you tie a good knot you shouldn't have any problems. I don't. Never have.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 12:39 AM

I bought bobber stops on Amazon. It was like 600 bobber stops for 8 bucks or so. I have plenty of them. Can adjust your leader length whenever you want and if you break off, almost all the time you keep your weight.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 12:47 AM

You have brakes on your Carolina rig?

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

You bet, ABS brakes at that.

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

You bet, ABS brakes at that.

[Linked Image]

Don't need no stinking brakes

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 02:39 AM

Too many gimmicks normally mean trouble. Weight, swivel, hook......bead optional is all you need.
I fished the same Carolina rig last year for almost 2 months before I broke off on some rocks on the side of a road bed.
Posted By: Tyler822

Re: C-Rig Fishing - 05/27/20 02:32 PM

Too many gimmicks normally mean trouble. Weight, swivel, hook......bead optional is all you need.
I fished the same Carolina rig last year for almost 2 months before I broke off on some rocks on the side of a road bed.

Keep it simple. No need to overthink it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum