Texas Fishing Forum

Lews Hackney rods

Posted By: fivebites

Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 01:02 AM

Stopped by Academy yesterday and saw the "new" Greg Hackney Lew's speed sticks in red. $100 bucks and feel nice. Anyone used them yet? Feedback if you have please. May buy one just for the heck of it.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Stopped by Academy yesterday and saw the "new" Greg Hackney Lew's speed sticks in red. $100 bucks and feel nice. Anyone used them yet? Feedback if you have please. May buy one just for the heck of it.

If it remotely close to the Lew Speed Sticks that are white version, I’d pass it up and get the $69 Academy H2O Ethos rod. The white Lews rods are extremely heavy, tip heavy, and actually numb...the opposite of sensitive. You could drag that rod out the window down the Highway and not feel it until the rod wore away like a pencil and the pavement hit your hand.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 02:01 AM

I have had 2 of the heavy flipping rods since they came out and I love them.
I have a couple Kistlers, Dobyns and St Croix and It’s become my go to flipping rod...and the best part is me and the power pro haven’t snapped it in half yet, LOL, I’m hard on rods
Posted By: sketch

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 05:06 AM

If you get one, might try and also pick up one of the academy brand tac 40 rods, reg $130 on sale for $65. They do have micro guides, but I'm pleased with mine. Plus it has that academy warranty. GL
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

If it remotely close to the Lew Speed Sticks that are white version, I’d pass it up and get the $69 Academy H2O Ethos rod. The white Lews rods are extremely heavy, tip heavy, and actually numb...the opposite of sensitive. You could drag that rod out the window down the Highway and not feel it until the rod wore away like a pencil and the pavement hit your hand.

That right there is funny. I don't care who ya are! thumb
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 02:35 PM

I bought a Lews TP 1 white rod for cranking and it has been great.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

That’s what I thought too. Those white ones are heavy and reel seat sucks
Look on tackle warehouse abu Garcia veritas limited it has Winn grips and ratchet reel seat regular size guides.
Real nice 120 dollar rod in my opinion
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/19/20 06:41 PM

Funny Steez! No, they are not real heavy like the white ones. Heck for a hundo I'm gonna give one a shot. I've spent more on ugly hookers and 8 balls than that!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Lews Hackney rods - 05/20/20 12:47 AM

I have the red Hackney spinning rod. The Hackney rods are supposed to be more parrabloic.
I prefer the rod over a Dobyns colt I have. It is a great shakey head rod and it is not too long with a shorter handle for marina skipping.
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum