Texas Fishing Forum

Shad spawn

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Shad spawn - 05/17/20 10:34 PM

Is it still going? How long odes it usually last?
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Shad spawn - 05/17/20 10:39 PM

Didn't see any shad action today on Caddo but with the rain and wind just may not have noticed.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Shad spawn - 05/17/20 11:13 PM

Yes on most lakes. Really depends on the lake and conditions on how long it will last. Have seen it go on for a couple of hours some days.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Shad spawn - 05/17/20 11:33 PM

Saw a massive group of shad spawn on a rocky point I was fishing this past Saturday on Ray Roberts. They were everywhere--no bass in sight in site though. No blow ups. No feeding. No catching for me. Made me realize that I must be fishing a bass free zone.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Shad spawn - 05/17/20 11:37 PM

shad spawn is still going on pretty good at lake waco as of friday
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Shad spawn - 05/18/20 11:24 AM

I'm not for sure, but doesn't shad spawn last a couple of weeks? It happens only at daylight until the sun comes up good. Usually one hour in the early morning.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Shad spawn - 05/18/20 11:41 AM

This year has been strange....the Shad spawn has been happening in isolated areas for over a month now. First time I witnessed it happening in 58-59 degree water. With the cloud cover yesterday morning it was still going on at 830 in a couple of areas I found.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Shad spawn - 05/18/20 01:15 PM

Major shad spawn on the Lewisville dam over the weekend. Right at sunup. We saw them by the thousands for the 1/2 mile of dam we fished. And no, there were no bass with them. Not even sandbass. It was weird.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Shad spawn - 05/18/20 06:39 PM

quite a bit of shad spawn this weekend on PK. lasted a good bit
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Shad spawn - 05/18/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jbcarroll3000
Saw a massive group of shad spawn on a rocky point I was fishing this past Saturday on Ray Roberts. They were everywhere--no bass in sight in site though. No blow ups. No feeding. No catching for me. Made me realize that I must be fishing a bass free zone.

Ditto on Tawak.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Shad spawn - 05/19/20 12:00 PM

Up the Brazos River above Whitney last week and a spawn was clearly in progress. Fish were feeding on them but not in a typical “schooling” action when the fish are actively chasing the shad and busting the surface in a feeding frenzy. This was more of a dimpling the surface, kinda “slurping the shad” type action. That said I had a good time for over an hour catching many small sandbass and some really small stripers. Just kinda followed this pod as they slowly moved around. Then finally “bam”! The only black bass that wanted to join the party the whole time. A nice 5lb. chunk. [Linked Image]
Posted By: krthomas2

Re: Shad spawn - 05/19/20 02:56 PM

Cool! I've seen lots of schools of shad on the surface but not so many fish chasing them, kindof unusual.
Posted By: MemphisBelle

Re: Shad spawn - 05/19/20 03:05 PM

Shad spawn has been going on at lake worth. Bunch of fish shallow
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum