Texas Fishing Forum

Inflatable PFD's Input

Posted By: Tiltman

Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 04:10 PM

Can I get some expertise ? Do's Don'ts , stay away froms etc.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 04:15 PM

I like them. Have used them for years and have done a lot on in store demos with them. I currently have the Cabelas house brand in the 38lb bouyancy rating. I test them yearly and keep a couple of spare canisters ready to go in case one deploys accidently or when needed. The canisters are cheap on Ebay and Amazon. In about 15 years I have had exactly one accidental deployment. The old wives tell that they "pop" and are loud when they deply is false. It sounds like a balloon being inflated.

Best tip I can give you on the one time I actually had to use mine is DO NOT wear it too loose. When my deployed it filled up and then twisted and was actually holding my head in water. It was not terribly hard to correct in the water but an injury or being unconscious it may have been. I have since tested that by wearing them snugly as suggested and jumping in to deploy them. Never an issue since.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 04:28 PM

k cool good info. I am ready to try one for the summer heat.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 04:42 PM

I had an Onyx deploy once without me in it while it was on the seat of the boat. Sounded like a gun going off and filling the bladder sounded like a bullet whistling overhead. I literally hit the deck and dove under the console (so much for PTSD). My buddy laughed about it once we figured out what happened. So I do not care for the type where the ring dissolves in water, too much moisture and over time the ring will partially dissolve until it gets weak and deploys. I have had them deploy sitting in a boat compartment.
I prefer the hydrostatic type where it uses water pressure to deploy.

I have had the cheaper ones with just straps which can get easily tangled and harder to put on over layers in the winter. I have one that's more of a harness that is comfortable and easy to put on.
When fishing along or in inclement weather I wear one the entire time I'm on the water and it doesn't really get in the way.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 04:46 PM

Chris, I had a Mustang self inflatable for a lot of years. I still have it. It works but I have just heard so many bad stories about them that last year I went a standard style life jacket. It's bulkier and lots more uncomfortable, but I never have to worry about if it's going to work. I'm a bigger guy and want to trust the life jacket I'm wearing.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 05:44 PM

I have a 20+ year old Mustang HIT, a couple Onxy brand auto's, and I just bought myself a new Mustang Survival Elite HIT model with 28 lbs buoyancy.

The only problems I have had was one accidental auto inflate on one of the Onyx's in my storage compartment.

Like Mark mentioned make sure you wear it correctly! cheers

Get one that fits you well and is comfortable to wear so you will actually wear it! fish

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
k cool good info. I am ready to try one for the summer heat.

Onyx
Mustang
BPS/Cabelas

All good brands. Easy to find cartridges for too
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 05:52 PM

Do not fall in the lake. They will deploy... At least the Oynx one did.. lol

They DO keep your head above water after you surface.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 05:56 PM

I wear the Mustang. But, the replacement cartridge for them are like 65-70 dollars. I think the re-arm cartridges for the Oynx are cheaper.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
I have a 20+ year old Mustang HIT, a couple Onxy brand auto's, and I just bought myself a new Mustang Survival Elite HIT model with 28 lbs buoyancy.

The only problems I have had was one accidental auto inflate on one of the Onyx's in my storage compartment.

Get one that fits you well and is comfortable to wear so you will actually wear it! fish

I had one do the same. Did a little research and come to find out you should replace the bobbin in the rearming kit every 3 years. Their date stamped and the one I had showed over 3 years yet I had just purchased it less then a year earlier.
Posted By: dr14

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rickmb
I had an Onyx deploy once without me in it while it was on the seat of the boat. Sounded like a gun going off and filling the bladder sounded like a bullet whistling overhead. I literally hit the deck and dove under the console (so much for PTSD). My buddy laughed about it once we figured out what happened. So I do not care for the type where the ring dissolves in water, too much moisture and over time the ring will partially dissolve until it gets weak and deploys. I have had them deploy sitting in a boat compartment.

I have had the cheaper ones with just straps which can get easily tangled and harder to put on over layers in the winter. I have one that's more of a harness that is comfortable and easy to put on.
When fishing along or in inclement weather I wear one the entire time I'm on the water and it doesn't really get in the way.

Which model is the one you mentioned was comfortable and is to put on. thanks
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 06:40 PM

I had 2 different Mustangs. One expanded in my rod box. The other I tested by jumping in the lake and it did NOT expand. Two total different spectrum. So I went back to traditional life jackets. That way no worries.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 07:10 PM

Just from above you can tell there are issues.
Inflatables require regular maintenance and also have had recalls..
When you are on your long awaited trip go out to your boat and discover your pfd inflated and you do not have what you need to get it in a working state are you going to wear it inflated, if not, are you disciplined enough to fix the pfd even if it means missing out on fishing for the day or whole trip?
Maybe you will take the risk of your pfd having a low chance of not inflating, have you thought about what that could mean to the people who care about you?
Of course if something did happen you would not have to explain it might have been prevented if you did not want to look so cool or took an outing or 2 to get used to having non inflatable pfd on.
I want my pfd to always work so no inflatable for me.
I use the NRS Chinook, considered gold standard by many kayak fishermen.
I do not find it hot in summer or limits my movement.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by BigDozer66

I had one do the same. Did a little research and come to find out you should replace the bobbin in the rearming kit every 3 years. Their date stamped and the one I had showed over 3 years yet I had just purchased it less then a year earlier.

Mine was less than a year old as well and the cartridge was 3 years old as well. realmad
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
I had 2 different Mustangs. One expanded in my rod box. The other I tested by jumping in the lake and it did NOT expand. Two total different spectrum. So I went back to traditional life jackets. That way no worries.

Pretty much the same experience for me.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 09:24 PM

Did you happen to read the owner's manual instructions for storage? Anywhere in the boat isn't really a good place to store them when not in use. I suspect the firing mechanism wasn't properly maintained after being compromised from storage in a damp environment. The one that expanded in the rod box did so because the firing "button" that disintegrates from moisture did exactly that after being wet/damp long-term from undesirable storage. The arming mechanism has an expiration date that I bet most ignore. Those units typically end up doing what your's did in the rod box. Properly maintained, they're quite reliable. The issue is that most boaters never note there's any maintenance for the convenience of inflatable.

Note that any compartment in the boat will have more moisture because there's often some water in the bilge that rarely dries up completely. Humid garages in Texas are no good either. Mine are in a closet inside the house, even though my garage is cooled during the hot months.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 09:31 PM

BE SURE you get one rated as a "TYPE II" or "TYPE III" PFD. Read the info printed on the inside of the vest to determine this. There are some less expensive ones sold that are rated "TYPE V". The state of Texas does not recognize TYPE V vests as a legal PFD unless you wear it at all times while on the water. You CAN remove a TYPE II or TYPE III vest while on the water if you get too hot with that on.

DO NOT store them in your boat, or even any building without air conditioning (because the humidity will be high, and this degrades the firing mechanism over time). Take them in the house where they will be in a low-humidity environment for storage between trips. As Mark Perry says, I have spare arming kits on hand. Those are stored in a plano box with the waterproof o-ring.

Switch back to your inherently buoyant vest when cool weather returns next fall. The fine print on inflatables says performance is degraded in cold weather. Stated temperatures vary between models.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/15/20 09:52 PM

I wear mine while fishing by myself as cheap insurance for my family. I have regular jackets in the boat as well and feel like the regular jackets are probably a better idea for running across the lake. Kind of the 6 shooter vs auto pistol mentality for protection, 6 shooter is simple and always goes bang.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 12:57 AM

Fairly mixed feedback, more negative than I expected actually
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 01:40 AM

Like most things, if you buy cheap you get lower quality.

I like some of the newer models with an "semi" full back to them, makes putting them on a lot easier.

Onyx and Mustang both make a quality product.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 01:54 AM

i got one at basspro and i promised my wife and kids that i would wear it all the time since I fish alone alot. It's not that bad in the summer and sometimes i forget that it is on.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 02:44 AM

Remember that if you end up in the water conscious and with no serious injury, all is not lost if the vest hasn't inflated automatically. Plan B is the manual pull lanyard to pierce the CO2 cartridge, causing it to fill the vest's bladder. There's even a PLAN C: The oral inflation tube that's part of the bladder inside the nylon shell that's easy to access. That tube has a check-valve, so every breath you put into it should stay, and will add buoyancy. How many of you with these vests knew there was an oral inflation tube?

The anglers who fish alone are making a wise choice to wear some type of PFD, even while fishing. Think about that fancy trolling motor that can follow a course, or hold a position with a spot-lock feature. If you fall into the lake, wind, waves, and current could make it very difficult to get back to a spot-locked boat, or one that's steadily following a course away from you.

Negative comments are usually about failures. (A few swear them off after getting a citation for failing to wear their TYPE V vest at all times on the water, not realizing it's not a PFD unless it's on.) I had some discussion with a couple of guys from one of the manufacturers at a boat show. They try to get their hands on failed vests for inspection when possible. I wasn't surprised with their finding - vests that failed to inflate were almost exclusively a result of lack of the owner following care and maintenance procedures. I can't say how many I've seen stuff them away in a boat compartment at the end of the day, where they will likely stay until the next trip to the lake. This and many other oversights are self-inflicted negative experiences in the making.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 02:50 AM

The other thing about inflateable PFDs is they have to be worn to be counted as a PFD. So if you have 2 adults in the boat, one with a conventional PFD and one with an inflateable not being worn you can get ticketed. I keep 3 conventional PFDs in my boat just in case I have a buddy or two with me fishing.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 03:25 AM

I personally prefer not to rely on a mechanical function to save my life. The traditional vest will always work if secured properly and fitted for the user. Very little maintenance is required to ensure the traditional one operates as designed. Either way you are much better off WEARING one whichever type you choose. Although I suspect it’s easier to snatch the inflatable one out of the water while on pad that than the traditional one if that is you reason for for considering between the two.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 04:07 AM

They all need a crotch strap added to prevent it from slipping off.

Or you better be cranking it real real right and hope when your knocked out you don’t slip thru it once your clothes boots get filled etc.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
The other thing about inflateable PFDs is they have to be worn to be counted as a PFD. So if you have 2 adults in the boat, one with a conventional PFD and one with an inflateable not being worn you can get ticketed. I keep 3 conventional PFDs in my boat just in case I have a buddy or two with me fishing.

Not true. It depends on what it says on the tag. My Mustang HIT is a Type III. If it says Type V then it does have to be worn to count. Unfortunately there are a bunch of game wardens and law enforcement that get it wrong too. So its just best to have another life jacket in the boat too.

Mustang HIT is what I would recommend going with, if it’s really nasty rough then I put on the regular life vest. In the winter I wear the Mustang all the time if fishing alone.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by emorydog
I personally prefer not to rely on a mechanical function to save my life. The traditional vest will always work if secured properly and fitted for the user. Very little maintenance is required to ensure the traditional one operates as designed. Either way you are much better off WEARING one whichever type you choose. Although I suspect it’s easier to snatch the inflatable one out of the water while on pad that than the traditional one if that is you reason for for considering between the two.

Chuckle.. An expensive lesson for sure.

I have had one pop when I wore it during rain and had one pop when in my storage compartment. Agree with Emorydog, I like my basic life jacket for getting the job done.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker

Not true. It depends on what it says on the tag. My Mustang HIT is a Type III. If it says Type V then it does have to be worn to count. Unfortunately there are a bunch of game wardens and law enforcement that get it wrong too. So its just best to have another life jacket in the boat too.

Mustang HIT is what I would recommend going with, if it’s really nasty rough then I put on the regular life vest. In the winter I wear the Mustang all the time if fishing alone.

You take your chances with getting a GW that getting it "right" as you put it. I will just keep enough conventional PFDs in my boat to avoid that issue.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChompChomp
Originally Posted by emorydog

Chuckle.. An expensive lesson for sure.

I have had one pop when I wore it during rain and had one pop when in my storage compartment. Agree with Emorydog, I like my basic life jacket for getting the job done.

Weber had to remind me of that............expensive and painful.

So if its not on you it does not count toward total if check for F&G ........I guess I will just find a more comfortable lite weight conventional.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 10:00 PM

You take your chances with getting a GW that getting it "right" as you put it. I will just keep enough conventional PFDs in my boat to avoid that issue.

If you read my post it says to have another in the boat.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 10:02 PM

If you read my post it says to have another in the boat.

Which is the same thing I said when I made my initial post about keeping 3 conventional in my boat for compliance.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/16/20 10:22 PM

Chris they make a "hybrid" PFD
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/17/20 01:15 AM

I have used a Mustang HIT for 15 years without incident...the HIT will not activate until it is submerged in at least 4 inches of water it is a Coast Guard Type II approved pfd, and has 38 pounds buoyancy....Type II pfd's do not have to be worn to be counted as an onboard life jacket....but obviously they can not work if you don't wear them and the HIT would not be one you could toss to someone.
I have fallen in the water wearing this and it worked as it should...the HIT and cylinder have to replaced every 5 years....just a tip I have a Cabelas auto activated and Bass Pro autoactivated for guests, if you will buy a large zip lock bag and store them in it, in your boat , I have never had one deploy if stored in the bag, I have had a couple of deployments in the locker when not stored in a bag..due to water in the boat...I would also suggest to everyone that owns one to test the air bladder once a year....you do that by blowing it up with the tube and let it sit overnight to see if it hold the air...My original HIT made it 12 years before it developed a small air leak that i found doing this test...In my opinion, they are reliable and comfortable enough that you will wear it consistently and as I found out it will be on you when you need it...I would recommend a Type II as they will right you so that your are face up in the water....if worn correctly, important if you are unconscious...and with 38 pounds buoyancy will float you higher than any other type of PFD....

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/17/20 09:51 AM

Mark, why don't you check the law and show me where it says an inflatable (not "inflateable") PFD must be worn to be considered a legally recognized PFD in Texas? You won't, because it doesn't. Read my post above. There must be a million people in Texas who think this, and they keep circulating this mis-truth, as you are.

Here is a legal and correct statement: If you buy an inflatable PFD, and that PFD is rated as TYPE V by the US Coast Guard, it must be worn at all times when on the water in order to count as your legally compliant PFD.

Texas law requires that you have a TYPE I, TYPE II, or TYPE III PFD. If you take a TYPE V PFD off and lay it down, it's a TYPE V PFD and it no longer serves as your TYPE III PFD. IF you WEAR that TYPE V PFD, it immediately will be considered to serve as a TYPE III PFD and satisfy the state requirement.

The following statement is also true: If you have a TYPE II or TYPE III inflatable PFD on the boat it can count as a legal PFD for any person 16 years age or older, worn or not. If the PFD is a TYPE II or TYPE III, there is no distinction in whether or not it must be worn to be legal - inflatable or not - but it is never legal for a person under age 16.

Where did I learn this? From reading the law, and talking with TPWD Boating Enforcement Division in Austin - the head of that division, in fact. Has this been tested in court? You bet it has. There is even a member on TFF I assisted who defeated an improper citation in court because the officer apparently got his info from you or one of the many others who quickly jump to say you must wear a PFD if it's inflatable or you get a ticket.

Read the rating and use info printed on the PFD itself. If your inflatable is rated as TYPE II or TYPE III, you must have it available for use, but it is not mandatory to wear it, though that's a good idea. My recommendation to people is be aware of what you are getting when you buy one - they're not all the same. Personally, I would never choose a TYPE V device; they're marginal, and too much trouble with the law.

I thought you would have known better. If you call Austin, and ask specifically about the TYPE, you'll find I'm correct.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/17/20 11:33 AM

So type 2 does count then if available, ie laying on my driver seat of boat while on deck fishing

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/17/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Mark, why don't you check the law and show me where it says an inflatable (not "inflateable") PFD must be worn to be considered a legally recognized PFD in Texas? You won't, because it doesn't. Read my post above. There must be a million people in Texas who think this, and they keep circulating this mis-truth, as you are.

Here is a legal and correct statement: If you buy an inflatable PFD, and that PFD is rated as TYPE V by the US Coast Guard, it must be worn at all times when on the water in order to count as your legally compliant PFD.

Texas law requires that you have a TYPE I, TYPE II, or TYPE III PFD. If you take a TYPE V PFD off and lay it down, it's a TYPE V PFD and it no longer serves as your TYPE III PFD. IF you WEAR that TYPE V PFD, it immediately will be considered to serve as a TYPE III PFD and satisfy the state requirement.

The following statement is also true: If you have a TYPE II or TYPE III inflatable PFD on the boat it can count as a legal PFD for any person 16 years age or older, worn or not. If the PFD is a TYPE II or TYPE III, there is no distinction in whether or not it must be worn to be legal - inflatable or not - but it is never legal for a person under age 16.

Where did I learn this? From reading the law, and talking with TPWD Boating Enforcement Division in Austin - the head of that division, in fact. Has this been tested in court? You bet it has. There is even a member on TFF I assisted who defeated an improper citation in court because the officer apparently got his info from you or one of the many others who quickly jump to say you must wear a PFD if it's inflatable or you get a ticket.

Read the rating and use info printed on the PFD itself. If your inflatable is rated as TYPE II or TYPE III, you must have it available for use, but it is not mandatory to wear it, though that's a good idea. My recommendation to people is be aware of what you are getting when you buy one - they're not all the same. Personally, I would never choose a TYPE V device; they're marginal, and too much trouble with the law.

I thought you would have known better. If you call Austin, and ask specifically about the TYPE, you'll find I'm correct.

Wow, sure is a lot of hostitility over a little PFD post..... clap... No worries though, you win the internet today with all that typing. bannana2 ......I know what I have been told when stopped so I will personally follow my own experience and. I will continue to carry enough conventional PFDs to cover everyone in my boat as I am not gonna argue my case with a GW that may not be as educated as you seem to be on the matter. cheers

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/17/20 02:42 PM

The game warden was wrong, just as in the case of the man who received the bad citation. They may be nice guys, but they don't all pay attention in training. If a game warden tells you that you must wear the inflatable, report him by name to Austin, and he will likely receive additional training. Austin "swears" all the game wardens have received instruction on this area of enforcement. You should not have to compromise if what you're doing is fully legal. You certainly have the right to do as you wish, but please don't tell everyone else something that's wrong.

What you take as hostility is actually specific to-the-point-info & language, and in some cases some phrases from law/regulation, not hostility.

I'd still like ANYONE to show me where a law or regulation for Texas says you must wear any inflatable PFD for it to count as legal. If it's the law, certainly someone can show it to me....OR....someone must have it wrong. If nobody can do so, then shouldn't that start to cast some doubt on whether the conjecture and grapevine have been telling people?

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/17/20 02:48 PM

The game warden was wrong, just as in the case of the man who received the bad citation. They may be nice guys, but they don't all pay attention in training. If a game warden tells you that you must wear the inflatable, report him by name to Austin, and he will likely receive additional training. Austin "swears" all the game wardens have received instruction on this area of enforcement. You should not have to compromise if what you're doing is fully legal. You certainly have the right to do as you wish, but please don't tell everyone else something that's wrong.

What you take as hostility is actually specific to-the-point-info & language, and in some cases some phrases from law/regulation, not hostility.

I'd still like ANYONE to show me where a law or regulation for Texas says you must wear any inflatable PFD for it to count as legal. If it's the law, certainly someone can show it to me....OR....someone must have it wrong.

cheers
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/17/20 11:57 PM

Do you really need a PFD if you are in 6” of water all the time? Lol! I’ve heard of too many self inflating ones going off on accident. I won’t ever own one. Good old mustang 100mph PFDs for my boat.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
Do you really need a PFD if you are in 6” of water all the time? Lol! I’ve heard of too many self inflating ones going off on accident. I won’t ever own one. Good old mustang 100mph PFDs for my boat.

You make a good point, but if you are in a boat that requires PFDs, technically, Texas law would say you need PFDs - never mind if you are in water so shallow your waist might never get wet if you got out of the boat.

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 02:38 AM

6 feet!

That’s an abyss

I like to fish where I can get out and walk

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 03:35 AM

His post indicated 6 INCHES.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 01:49 PM

If I'm going into the lake because of an accident I want the best chance at survival. Not saying an inflatable won't save you, I just want the best. We only use the bright orange mustang. They are pricey but one of the best. Use two sizes to compensate for bulky clothes in Winter. I don't want the reason I die to be for something as simple as a quality lifejacket.
Posted By: mskeeter

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 02:03 PM

Do all of the inflatables turn you face up if you were to be knocked out? My old standard PFD will not turn me over.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 02:09 PM

6 feet!

That’s an abyss

I like to fish where I can get out and walk

6" brother. and that's when you are on pad roflmao Bart is a magic beast!
Posted By: RedRanger521

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 05:26 PM

I've been using these for years and never had an issue. A lot of great points- Type of PFD is sewn on a patch on the device-maintenance is a huge factor, along with keeping a spare cartridge for each one.

I also wear mine close-not super tight but close-experience from a previous job where if the straps were loose bad things can happen.

I keep mine in a closed tote in my rig so not to expose them to the humidity in the rig during storage. I have to check the " Green " dot to make sure it's ready every time I wear it and I have also marked the expiration date on my calendar.

As far as what is required in your boat and this probably won't apply to 90% of most folks-I used to fish most of the southeast part of the USA-i know it's been a few years but different states have different rules as far as what the requirements are for Type 2, 3, or 4 PFDs. Most of them are similar as far as type 3 and 4 but I've seen some variations on requirements of the type 2's

I also carry extra type 3 PFD's-just in case smile
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by dr14
Originally Posted by Rickmb

Which model is the one you mentioned was comfortable and is to put on. thanks

https://mustangsurvival.com/collect...s-competition-auto-hydrostatic-md5183-bc
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/18/20 06:35 PM

Did you happen to read the owner's manual instructions for storage? Anywhere in the boat isn't really a good place to store them when not in use. I suspect the firing mechanism wasn't properly maintained after being compromised from storage in a damp environment. The one that expanded in the rod box did so because the firing "button" that disintegrates from moisture did exactly that after being wet/damp long-term from undesirable storage. The arming mechanism has an expiration date that I bet most ignore. Those units typically end up doing what your's did in the rod box. Properly maintained, they're quite reliable. The issue is that most boaters never note there's any maintenance for the convenience of inflatable.

Note that any compartment in the boat will have more moisture because there's often some water in the bilge that rarely dries up completely. Humid garages in Texas are no good either. Mine are in a closet inside the house, even though my garage is cooled during the hot months.

I know how to store a life jacket. It was in a dry compartment! No moisture.

Too much [censored] and questions about a life jacket.......so I went back to traditional. Now I dont have to worry about my lifejacket!

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/19/20 03:16 AM

Every compartment in a boat in Texas has moisture. It's in the air, and the confined space combined with temperature changes causes it to condense and re-evaporate in cycles. The dissolving button absorbs this moisture over time during these cycles.

Just FYI for others who still have inflatable PFDs: about the air in Texas - it's VERY HUMID! Closed in a compartment (even one you consider to be "dry" in layman's terms) still traps moisture in the confined space of the compartment, which can be quite a bit in many parts of Texas. The most reliable way to store them day-in/day-out when not in use is in an air conditioned space, nothing less. Not doing that allows the dissolving "button" to eventually crumble from absorbed humidity, letting the CO2 go poof to fill the bladder.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/19/20 12:21 PM

I've researched it a dozen times and every time the feedback has been the same: Inflatable PDF's work great almost all of the time. So I just stick with a conventional vest.
Posted By: Mark in Frisco

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/20/20 01:57 AM

I got in a bad habit of storing my inflatable draped over my steering wheel in my boat storage. I did this to keep the inflatable dried-out. I had a rented storage building, and the roof leaked during a big rainstorm. My inflatable went off while hanging around my steering wheel.
When I came to my storage a week or so later the inflatable was blown up tight to the steering wheel and steering column. I had to deflate it to get it out. I found out later that the inflatable actuated my jack plate control and burned up my jack plate motor.
It was totally my fault for being stupid enough to leave my battery switch on - lesson learned. But I have never again had any problem with that old inflatable (after re-charge) - I have had it 15 plus years.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Inflatable PFD's Input - 05/20/20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I've researched it a dozen times and every time the feedback has been the same: Inflatable PDF's work great almost all of the time. So I just stick with a conventional vest.

Almost isn't good enough for me! I choose conventional also.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum