Texas Fishing Forum

Types of Grass in Texas Lakes

Posted By: ReelSlow

Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/14/20 10:44 PM

Can someone lead me to a link that shows pictures of the different grass types in our lakes. I know what hydrilla looks like. I pull up other grass, weeds etc and wonder what it is. What type of grass/weeds is good or not so good to fish. Are some just not worth bothering with?

Thanks
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/14/20 11:56 PM

This has some information but unfortunately it is not in color.

http://counties.agrilife.org/valverde/files/2014/11/Harmful-Non-native-Aquatic-Plants-in-Texas.pdf
Posted By: pocfishin

Re: Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/15/20 01:07 AM

Here ya go:

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/

Re: Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/15/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor

Originally Posted by pocfishin

Thanks to ya both. Good sources.
cheers
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/15/20 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by pocfishin

This is a good one!
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/15/20 11:50 PM

Thanks. But what is the hay grass on Rayburn called. It gets worst every year.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/16/20 12:30 PM

I read an article that said that Hay Grass is really called Torpedo Grass. It said that in a article I was reading about other invasive species. A TPWD guy named John Findeisen was giving a lot of the info.

Re: Types of Grass in Texas Lakes - 05/16/20 03:28 PM

A couple of my ponds have what looks like a lot of Widgen grass. It grows right up to the surface and is difficult to fish with anything but a topwater or frog. Can't get bit on those however.

I lob a 1/2 oz weight Texas rig into it. Very hard to feel a bite, as the first jig is usually tugging on grass. When i get a bite and land the fish it is often hooked right at throat.

I try the edges with sq bills, lipless cranks and swim baits , they all snag so much grass that I can't jerk through hard enough to break off the grass so I'm reeling in a lot of grass on every cast.

A lot of nice fish, just hate gut hooking them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum