Texas Fishing Forum

Dead fish

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Dead fish - 05/14/20 06:19 PM

Do they always float up? Or can they just float down to the bottom and decay on bottom never to be seen?
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Dead fish - 05/14/20 06:25 PM

When they die the swim bladder fills with air. Once that air is released they will sink. or get eaten by another fish.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Dead fish - 05/14/20 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Do they always float up? Or can they just float down to the bottom and decay on bottom never to be seen?

Yes... always "float" up and always sink down. roflmao
Posted By: Go-N-Slow

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 06:34 AM

Its according to how much fat is in your diet and how well your pancreas makes lipase on weather you'll have a floater or sinker....ohh wait were talking fish...nevermind....
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 01:43 PM

Depends if their sides are knocked off first. Those typically float up when ready
Posted By: Cameron

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 01:49 PM

They don't normally float when you cover them in ice. bolt
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 02:27 PM

Depends on water temp and conditions but bass usually sink to the bottom and stay there
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 02:45 PM

If you fizz a bass and take out to much or all of the air in their bladder they sink to the bottom. While there they may recover over time IF they are not eaten by a larger fish like a flat head cat fish, gar or even an alligator.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 03:06 PM

Here’s what I’m asking. You can’t have hundreds of bass die and never see any of them right, at least some would float to the top and you would see them? They can’t all be on the bottom. If you had a fish kill you would at least see some of them float.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 03:47 PM

Oh Yes. I was on Lake Granbury when the big fish kill took place fishing Angler's Choice. The fish were pilled along the shoreline and every Buzzard in the world was there working on them. We shagged dead fish suspended all day long. I had one 5 lb fish as far away as I could go up the river. Caught her on a jig with the gills bleeding the last 15 min. of the tournament. We won with that one fish. Trent and two 1 lb fish alive and took second. He was also up the river in fresh incoming water. It came a flood 2 days before this tournament causing the devastation.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 04:16 PM

They sink, then they float, then they sink.
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Dead fish - 05/15/20 09:04 PM

I have rescued several bass with fish stuck in their mouths. They were floating and once I removed the stuck fish I could feel and hear the gas being released from their gut. I also released a fish i had fouled hooked. He swam to the bottom and buried his head in the mud (this was in a small private pond). About an hour later he swam off.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Dead fish - 05/16/20 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Huckleberry
They sink, then they float, then they sink.

then snagged by a tff troll
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Dead fish - 05/16/20 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
They don't normally float when you cover them in ice. bolt

That didn't take long AHAHAHAH
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Dead fish - 05/16/20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
Oh Yes. I was on Lake Granbury when the big fish kill took place fishing Angler's Choice. The fish were pilled along the shoreline and every Buzzard in the world was there working on them. We shagged dead fish suspended all day long. I had one 5 lb fish as far away as I could go up the river. Caught her on a jig with the gills bleeding the last 15 min. of the tournament. We won with that one fish. Trent and two 1 lb fish alive and took second. He was also up the river in fresh incoming water. It came a flood 2 days before this tournament causing the devastation.

Any more explanation into the fish kill Donald? Curious what the cause of such a major die off a bass was.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Dead fish - 05/16/20 12:11 PM

What year was that fish kill?
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Dead fish - 05/16/20 12:27 PM

Probably the golden algae on Granbury.

What happens to a fish that bites one of the thousands (millions?) of baits that’s hung up in our lakes? I picture the poor fish thrashing around at whatever depth until it’s exhausted and dies. No floating or sinking.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum