Texas Fishing Forum

Does anybody flip a swimbait?

Posted By: tx_basser

Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/12/20 01:22 PM

I guess it would be similar to a jig, but wondering if anybody really does it or it is effective. I've done it a few times but usually stop and put on a tube or something I have confidence in.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/12/20 01:39 PM

I've done it with an M-Pack jig head with a swimbait. Not real often but it has its time and place I think.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/12/20 01:51 PM

They are great to sight fish with as well.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/12/20 01:58 PM

There's some smaller bluegill shaped soft plastics that are absolutely deadly for pitching/flipping in the spring.
Posted By: dan805

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/12/20 02:21 PM

I flip this without the head on it. It works for me. Depending how you hook rig it provides different drop action. [Linked Image]
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/12/20 02:23 PM

When I first started fishing Ray Roberts 3 years ago I was stumped, flipped lizards, BH's, senkos, jigs, Biffle Bug. You name it I flipped it. Out of desperation I put a Keitech 5'' swimbait on in a color I cannot find anymore, flipped into the willows, bam started catching them. Haven't been able to replicate that since.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/12/20 02:56 PM

You will stumble upon all kind of patterns during your fishing life that will never produce again. Had a old guy fishing in the back of the boat and we were throwing top waters in the rain. I was throwing a spook and he was throwing a buzz bait. After he put the second 5 lb fish in the boat; I started paying attention to what he was doing. He was pitching it past the bushes and slow rolling it on the bottom.
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/13/20 04:41 AM

Haven’t tried it with a swimbait, but years ago I was flippin a dd22 around stumps in 4-6 ft of water. Flip past the stump and crank it down where the bill is dragging the bottom coming by the stump and they would smoke it!!!!!!
My buddy thought I was crazy until he saw the fish I was catching.....
Posted By: Fishcharmer

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/13/20 01:10 PM

I frequently have a swim bait tied on a flipping rod...usually a Reaction Innovation Skinny Dipper in "WhiteTrash" color and also the Berkeley Grasspig in a darker color. Some days it works really well...I use a hook with the centering pin in the nose and it extends the life of the bait while pitching into tight cover...
Posted By: Big C

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/14/20 10:28 PM

In reality, you can pitch almost any bait. It's more of a convention than hard and fast rules. I've had luck with Kaitechs and Skinny Dippers.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/14/20 11:52 PM

Seldom ever unless I'm targeting a fish I can see, or that I believe is there. Otherwise, depending on time of year, either slow-rolling around objects just beneath the surface, like a spinner bait. Or throughout the water column on a jig head. Deep and shallow work best. Prefer a crank in between. 6" Basstrix still my favorite hollow-belly.
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: Does anybody flip a swimbait? - 05/15/20 03:54 AM

Yes.. I generally use a swimjig and back it with a swimbait or vice versa.. This season its getting bit when others techniques no worky.. I use a weighted hook in the slop and swimbait on top, or flip the swimjig in the junk...Good luck..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum