Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone know what this is?

Posted By: Ken Berthelot

Anyone know what this is? - 05/10/20 11:29 PM

We have caught several bass in the last couple of weeks that have this on their skin. Any idea what it is?

Attached picture E9B6C74B-FC1C-4952-B536-A1CAB526EFB8.jpeg
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/10/20 11:50 PM

I call it bass herpes, but it’s actually a bacterial infection. I heard you’re suppose to inform game and parks and dispose of the fish on land.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/10/20 11:55 PM

Yeah some sort of infection. They sometimes get it due to the stressors of spawning but that fish looks healthy otherwise. Is it just on one lake that you are seeing this? Could inform the TPWD and maybe send their biologists the pics?
Posted By: Ken Berthelot

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 12:02 AM

We have only seen this on Sam Rayburn. Thanks for your replies.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Burbarry
I call it bass herpes, but it’s actually a bacterial infection. I heard you’re suppose to inform game and parks and dispose of the fish on land.

I caught tons of fish like that on fork last fall. Can you point me to the release from TPWD that documents calling them and disposing on land? I was not aware of notifying them. Thanks.
Posted By: immastar

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 04:14 AM

I catch these sometimes it looks like a flesh eating virus...
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 04:55 AM

COVID-20
eek
Posted By: Tanner101

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 07:28 AM

Always thought it was just injuries from spawning.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 12:54 PM

You'll see it post spawn through early summer. It's common. Just throw it back
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 01:52 PM

Looks like carpet burn to me.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rube G.
Looks like carpet burn to me.

Agree on this as well but could also be caused from the spawn. It's simply a break in the slime coat that has developed into a bacterial infection. A very high percentage of these will simply heal over time and aren't something to be alarmed about.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 07:04 PM

Don't throw it on the bank. I seriously doubt any where does TP and W advise an angler to throw any game fish on the bank.

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rog
Originally Posted by Burbarry

I caught tons of fish like that on fork last fall. Can you point me to the release from TPWD that documents calling them and disposing on land? I was not aware of notifying them. Thanks.

I think its called KAST team for Texas. I seen a group talking about it in the past. They reported a few fish and were told to dispose of the fish that had the issues.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 09:29 PM

Here is a link to a great article about the condition on the fish in your picture. Highly doubtful TP&W would ask you to remove the fish and through it away.
https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/why-do-some-bass-have-black-splotches/

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by JWRid
Here is a link to a great article about the condition on the fish in your picture. Highly doubtful TP&W would ask you to remove the fish and through it away.
https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/why-do-some-bass-have-black-splotches/

thats completely different than the picture of the fish he posted. Black spots are ok.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/11/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lmgreeri
COVID-20

+1 LOL
eek
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/12/20 02:57 AM

Any chance it's caused by pesticides to control grass? I've caught similar looking out here after they spray or pellet for aquatic grass.
Posted By: D Forney

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/12/20 03:56 AM

I have a buddy that’s a biologist for TPWD hatchery. I asked him the same question on crappie I was catching. He said it’s a fungus and it will go away when the water warms up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum