Texas Fishing Forum

San Jacinto River North of I-10

Posted By: csmithag95

San Jacinto River North of I-10 - 05/09/20 12:56 AM

Family is planning a kids get away to the San Jacinto River area, near the Rio VIlla Nature Trail. Anyone have experience with this area for any boating/fishing? Is the water brackish? Fresh? Thanks for any advice on wetting a line there. And should I drag my bass boat from DFW area?
Posted By: Kuhuna

Re: San Jacinto River North of I-10 - 05/09/20 07:59 PM

I have spent an enormous amount of time in that area on the water and my brother in law lives in Rio Villa. The bass fishing is not good and the boat traffic is ridiculous. The water is brackish and I would never eat a fish out of it due to the toxic dump site at the I-10 bridge over the San Jacinto river. I have never put my bass boat in there because the water can get pretty salty at times and I have never seen a single bass come out of that water. If you just have to wet a line I recommend finding a guide and doing a little bay fishing out of La Porte or Baytown. Also, the trails are not that impressive. The Texas Monument is close and it is pretty cool. Sorry for the less than positive review...
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: San Jacinto River North of I-10 - 05/09/20 10:34 PM

your best bet if you're on that river is to run up to the lake houston spillway for crappie, whites and cats.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum