Texas Fishing Forum

Rod/Reel advice

Posted By: Ben B

Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:05 PM

Trying to get back into the game after being out of it for several years...any recommendations on a reel I can pair with a rod for $250 or less for the entire set up? I used to be a big fan of Shimano reels and Falcon rods but I’m long past spending $500-$600 on a set up. Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:12 PM

My buddy loves the Silver Max reels for around $50. You can pick up some good used rods in the classified section of the forum. I have 2 Dobyns that i picked up an love them.

Z
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:15 PM

Get a Falcon Lowrider for $129 and a Shimano SLX for $99. A rod sleeve, reel cover, and spool of Seaguar will set you right at the $250 budget.

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:17 PM

Thanks Greg! I thought about checking out the classifieds but I’m kinda funny about buying used tackle. Maybe I’m wrong for that, but I am. I forgot to mention I’m looking for something more all purpose...something I can fish worms but also spinner baits with. So probably medium action. I don’t know anything about the Silver Max reels though, so I might check them out!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:18 PM

Abu Garcia Black Max + Academy ethos rod = $100
I’d get Medium heavy for trig worms and spinnerbaits

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:20 PM

Good to know Lowriders still have their reputation! I sold my boat back in 2014 and all the tackle with it. Only way I could afford a honeymoon and put money down on a house. But my wife is starting to warm up to idea of getting a boat again clap
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Get a Falcon Lowrider for $129 and a Shimano SLX for $99. A rod sleeve, reel cover, and spool of Seaguar will set you right at the $250 budget.

Solid take here. I would also look at the Phenix rods too. I have a 6'10 Medium with the SLX that is a well balanced combo.
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/08/20 10:45 PM

You can guy a lowrider and a slx 150 for $245 off tackle warehouse. Another option is the same real with a bucoo instead for $213.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/09/20 03:48 AM

I'll 2nd the Bucoo rods from Falcon. $99 ! Reels are something I'd be tempted to bust the budget on though. Try EBAY. It's quite possible to get new reels there for $25-30 under retail. Same for the rods. Lots of free shipping too.

Academy was offering 15% off if you opened an account with their credit card if used that day.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...o+curado+50&_sop=1&_osacat=14104

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...sacat=14104&_odkw=shimano+curado+200

Posted By: SAKS

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/09/20 05:13 AM

eBay has great prices on reels but buy from a reputable store. Sportsman’s Outfitters, ecop, Simmons Sporting goods are some of the ones I buy from and never had any hassle or bad dealings.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/09/20 02:18 PM

Check pawn shops and online classified ads. I have picked up high end reels for under $50. Sent them off for cleaning/inspection and they are like new out of the box condition. Same with rods. G. Loomis and TFO have lifetime warranties. Depreciation on rods is insane. With a $250 budget and some digging you can set yourself up with high end equipment if you don't mind buying it 2nd hand and doing some research.
Posted By: DCJohnson

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/09/20 04:44 PM

Dobyns Fury Rods are a great rod for $120. Their 704 or 734 are great all around rods
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/10/20 01:45 AM

I've bought just about all of my reels off ebay. I like Abu Garcia Revo STX and SX bait casters.. New ones are $199 for the STX.. $159 for the SX, I just got a STX Gen 3 for less than $100. I haven't had any issues buying used reels. I have bought some rods on ebay, I got 2 Quantam KVD 7'4" cranking rods for the price of 1 and they were brand new. I'm sure they are discontinued now, but were still brand new.
Good luck
BD
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/10/20 03:22 PM

You can get a lews reel for 99.00-149.00 and a lews, castaway, or falcon rod for 80.00-129.00 at most Academy stores.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/10/20 03:28 PM

I haven’t been on this site in 7 years and I can’t believe people still recommend abu anything under $100. Sorry not sorry it’s junkkkkk.that being said I have two h20 express mettle reels that are now 10 years old with zero hiccups. I can ruin a black max in about an hour. Lee’s,shimano, and believe it or not ardent are the only companies still making decent reels.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/10/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ban-D
I haven’t been on this site in 7 years and I can’t believe people still recommend abu anything under $100. Sorry not sorry it’s junkkkkk.that being said I have two h20 express mettle reels that are now 10 years old with zero hiccups. I can ruin a black max in about an hour. Lee’s,shimano, and believe it or not ardent are the only companies still making decent reels.
i agree and disagree. I agree that Abu is garbage. I disagree that Ardent is even remotely good. Both are garbage.
Posted By: 94sktr

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/10/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DCJohnson
Dobyns Fury Rods are a great rod for $120. Their 704 or 734 are great all around rods

Good rods for the money.

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/10/20 05:02 PM

i agree and disagree. I agree that Abu is garbage. I disagree that Ardent is even remotely good. Both are garbage.

Daiwa makes good reels too your name reminded me haha.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/10/20 05:06 PM

cheers Ben what Greg z said, there are some St. Croix rods for sale. I went cazzy bought 2 on was a glass rodM.action& graph. m.fast love em they looked brand new, I have also bought some spinnerbaits& zoom baits for a good price. Most guys I believe are straight shooters. Btw if wife gives ya the green light I have used Minnk. 4 sale . 24v.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 02:34 AM

The only reel I will buy is a Revo SX. I typically find them on eBay for $110-120. Have bought reels of all brands and have spent up to the $200 range and I haven’t found a better value.

When I lived in Louisiana I fished saltwater half the time. Went back and forth between brands and my abus always lasted the longest. Pair them with a falcon or dobyns and you have a solid combo.
Posted By: Tanner101

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 07:25 AM

Shimano SLX are $90 range.
Posted By: dark water

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 03:44 PM

I agree and agree. Abu is garbage, H2O reels are fantastic bargain.
Posted By: cnoland2

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 04:42 PM

Check the buy/sell/trade section, you can typically find solid prices on used gear, ive bought several citicas, curados and daiwa tatula at reasonable prices and never had a problem with anything, also, dont know what baits you plan to fish but the daiwa aird-x 7'0 medium rod is a solid rod for wacky rig and squarebills and it is under $60
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 11:17 PM

Daiwa makes good reels too your name reminded me haha.

The 2020 Daiwa Tatula is a fantastic reel. The Steez is totally awesome. Garcia doesn't have anything that compares to these two.

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tanner101
Shimano SLX are $90 range.

Another great reel.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 11:41 PM

I like the genesis II Irods and the Shimano Citica reels . It a very very good mid level combo at around $300.00. Money very well spent and not busting the bank
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/11/20 11:54 PM

Your opinion is recognized but rather than run a brand into the ground there are folks who have had good luck with all the brands you mention. I like to periodically ask the guys who clean/repair reels frequently what they see on their benches the most/least. Not an ALWAYS/NEVER litmus test but it will get you started. Personally I am not a fan of the h2o series and I have had a Shimano blow up in my hand while reeling. I do not think Shimano makes junk but it is a personal preference.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/12/20 12:35 AM

Those H20 reels are what they and for the dollar good. But they won’t perform anywhere near the mid and high end reels of any brand
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/12/20 02:07 AM

Up the budget just slightly. Curado K and Falcon Lowrider.

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/12/20 09:21 PM

Most reels I’ve repaired and sent to olsens to repair were level wind and gear paws on abu Garcia reels. Also sent them a lot of okumas that handles would spin backwards. All the 13 omen rods and reels are pretty trashy after a while too.H20express arnt good reels. For the $50 they cost 10 years ago I give them a thumbs up. I have also ruined 6 quantum bursts in less than a week. Never broke any shimanos or had them in for repair unless it was a 20+ year old one. I actually just found an old cu 200 b in sand. Cleaned it and it works great.Most of the time I would just clean them and they would work great again. So that being said I still would never and will never recommend an abu Garcia anything. As for rods we had so many abu return we stopped buying them for the store. So that’s why I give my opinion. It’s not just from seeing a buddies or hear say. It’s first hand experience. Daiwa Zillions are also amazing reels those weren’t mentioned so I will now. As far as rods go 13 were most returned then favorite were our most returned when we started to carry them. Never returned any falcon,dobyns,Powell,gloomis or shimano.

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/12/20 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by DCJohnson

Get this and a Shimano SLX or the Daiwa Tatula SV TW and you are set.
Posted By: S Fatherree

Re: Rod/Reel advice - 05/13/20 12:34 AM

I would recommend a Revo SX Baitcast Reel and a St. Croix Rods Bass X or Mojo Series Casting Rod. I have Revo SX Reels with nearly a decade of use without any issues and many St. Croix Rods, some over 20 years old that have never broken at all, perhaps nothing more than an insert on my top line guide. I like a 7'MH for the majority of techniques, it can handle everything from a deep diving crankbait, a weightless senko, a Carolina rig, a hollow body swimbait, a topwater lure, chatterbait, and many more lures. It is an extremely versatile rod length and action which I use own more of than any other rods for good reason.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum