Texas Fishing Forum

Bass fishing and this guy showed up

Posted By: Greg W

Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 03:28 AM

7lb catfish, but never seen a black catfish before. Thought I had a nice bass there for a 2nd. He hit a square bill bouncing it off the rocks. [Linked Image]
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 03:42 AM

Yellow cat
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 11:08 AM

It is spawning time for the catfish. They will hit a moving bait this time of year.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 12:10 PM

I’ve been catching some nice cats while bass fishing.
This is two different trips a week apart.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 12:51 PM

Almost looks like a Mudcat.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 12:57 PM

It is a flathead catfish (pylodictis olivaris). Flathead catfish are called by different common names all over the country. They like sunfish and sometimes crankbaits. roflmao
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 01:05 PM

They also like white spinnerbaits! And the bigger ones will straighten out the wire.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 01:16 PM

Nice Greg!! Cats will def bite a crankbait! My tourney partner and I were fishing a tourney at Cedar Creek years ago throwing bandits around docks. He hooks what we think is a double digit bass that takes off (luckily) out from under the dock to deeper water. 10 minutes later we haul out a 40 lb + yellow cat. The people at the dock were hooting and hollering the whole time we were trying to get it into the net! LOL! What a rodeo!
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 01:19 PM

In the summer if you are throwing a spinner or crankbait on Tawakoni all day you are going to catch a catfish.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 01:28 PM

I caught a 40lb yellow on a rattle trap one afternoon.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 01:53 PM

It is a Flat head catfish locals call it yellow cat. same fish
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 02:00 PM

Caught two on Falcon last week during a shad spawn on a squarebill. Slime all over my line.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 02:07 PM

I’ve done that on Roberts a bunch bouncing a squarebill off rocks... you think you hooked a tank then it starts to roll and you know...
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 02:09 PM

I think just about every bass angler has lucked into catfish a time or two.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 07:48 PM

Last year during the Sam Rayburn fall shootout my dad and I were fishing brushpiles. I tossed out a 10" worm and felt a good thump, when I set the hook I started telling my dad big un get the net, ended up being 15 pound yellow cat.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/06/20 11:37 PM

Flathead. I have caught them several times on cranks.
Posted By: trackerman.

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 02:27 AM

Ol' Mr. Whiskers..knows how to get the heart pumping!!
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 03:23 AM

Got one on a Zara Spook years ago on Fayette. Had no idea they would hit a top water.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 05:03 AM

When i catch them that size i will keep em. Great eating that size. Way better then crappie imo that size
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 01:28 PM

Nice Op! cheers

Always nice to get a bonus fish that taste so good. food
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 02:53 PM

They like bream colored crankbaits and traps!
Posted By: BWG

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 03:28 PM

Caught a 22 lb blue cat on a Fat Free Shad at Alan Henry in 2013. That was a ride I tell you.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 08:37 PM

Caught more on jig and pig than any thing else
Posted By: Bazztex

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 11:03 PM

I knew a guy that trolled Hellbenders for catfish on Lewisville back in the 60-70s and I have caught my share on Spinner baits, jigs, worms, top waters and cranks. When they are hungry they will eat what ever gets in front of them.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/07/20 11:22 PM

Fished way up the Brazos yesterday above Whitney. Area way up river that has 42’ deep hole. Saw a bunch of fish on the graph. Bass fishing had been slow so what the heck. Tied on a slab and quickly found out what was down there. Not a 6lber but catfish sardines! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/08/20 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
I think just about every bass angler has lucked into catfish a time or two.

I've caught them a bunch just not a flathead. Had never seen a black one like that. Every once in a while I'll nab some sand bass and there's always cats that will hit your slab on the bottom.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/08/20 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
Fished way up the Brazos yesterday above Whitney. Area way up river that has 42’ deep hole. Saw a bunch of fish on the graph. Bass fishing had been slow so what the heck. Tied on a slab and quickly found out what was down there. Not a 6lber but catfish sardines! [Linked Image]

I done that same thing at Chambers on 309 flats this time of year, saw what had to be tens of thousands of fish on graph but it looked weird because they were so small
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/08/20 03:34 AM

Same thing for me last week on a 5XD, it was small and fast so I cut the line and said goodbye to the 5XD. My fingers and hand thanked me for it I’m sure.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/08/20 04:56 PM

Some people call them Appaloosa.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/08/20 05:14 PM

I caught my first accidental cat yesterday. On a chartreuse 1/2 oz. roadrunner! It was after three little bass hit it over a half hour period. Felt a lot bigger than it was!
Posted By: Derek Stokes

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/10/20 12:50 AM

I've caught several on a 7" blue fleck Powerworm. Caught a 12 to 15 lber that was blacker than that at lake Daniels a few years ago.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/10/20 07:52 PM

Caught a 27 lber last fall on a Texas rigged trick worm, felt a tap, set the hook, solid. Then it started to move! Once I saw how big it was I had to get it in the boat and weight the dang thing! BTW that is a size 14 foot for reference. I let it go and it slowly swam off, we were both tired! Rod was a 7' MH with 15 lb Seaguar Invisx! It was fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/10/20 09:16 PM

Always nice to get a large fish you did not expect.
Know that was a fun fight with your rod.
Great job.
So are you a catfisherman now?
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Bass fishing and this guy showed up - 05/12/20 01:47 PM

I was fishing a Media Solo on Tawakoni one year, caught a 9 and 5lb catfish on a red rattletrap. Imagine the initial excitement on the hit and then the total disappointment once I discovered what it was on the end of the line.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum