Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves..

Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/05/20 11:43 PM

It seems like this lake looks for any reason to lock the gates and deny access to the ramps, most of which requires no staff to manage. Before it said all the ramps are closed because of flooding, that's always their excuse. Now the lake level is normal the last day or so they changed it to "Closed until further notice due to COVID-19", oh great!! This seems like it is unlawful! Would one of those online petitions work on this? Maybe someone on here has some pull? What about JP, I bet if he calls them he can straiten them out!!

Do they think they are helping to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 with these public access closures? No quite the opposite, now all the ramps that are open are a zoos! 10 of 16 ramps closed because of covid-19 at lavon? Now the 6 ramps that are open are way over crowded, they are making COVID-19 worse!! I know there are other lakes with this same problem, but this lake is right by my house, and it makes me mad damit!!

https://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/05/20 11:49 PM

They do this after it floods every time say have to check ramps and parking lots nothing new
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 12:11 AM

Still gets old, horribly managed lake

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by RMOROTT21
They do this after it floods every time say have to check ramps and parking lots nothing new

Oh I know that excuse is not new, floods is the BS excuse they used for years to lock the gates, and for no good reasons! But what is new is this "COVID-19" excuse "until further notice" OMG my BS meter is in redline!!!
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tiltman

bang x2 yea I talkedto them about year ago. Responde was well with lake levels high water has washed out soil or what under ramps is you were to drive on em ramp would crack like an egg!!! .

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 12:23 AM

They probably had people calling "why are the gates locked, there is no flood?". Like they get every year, then someone has to go out and clear the logs off the ramp, gezz volunteers would gladly do this. But now, they do not need to clear the logs off the ramps, they got an extension excuse, COVID-19!
Posted By: D1988

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 01:03 AM

It must be government job. This is almost like when the state works on the highway. I have actually seen 1 guy tighten a bolt on guardrail and 4 more were setting on that rail. I guess they were holding it in place. I couldn't run my business that way and be profitable.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 01:24 AM

The ones that are closed are the ones inside the campgrounds. They are deterring camping. Could they just close a different gate? Yes!!! I hate that they are that inept at management. What's the deal with Caddo Park up north anyway???
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 02:47 AM

Amen
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 03:28 AM

The COE that is running Lavon would be happy to shut everything down and never allow anyone on or around the lake--EVER.

This is the only lake on earth that has been shut down for low water and high water --IN THE SAME MONTH-That actually happened 3-4 years ago.

We went to Lavonia two weeks ago and there were probably 100 boat trailers there. Lot was full and trailers parked on both sides of the road for 1/4 mile. People everywhere.

We put in at Twin Groves one day last week and there were a lot of people there but it was not crowded--You just had to dodge the craters in the driveway--they are no longer potholes, now they are craters!

Wayne

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by David Burton
The ones that are closed are the ones inside the campgrounds.

Ones with no camp grounds are closed too, like pebble beach and little ridge. No reason to lock those gates. And why close camp grounds? They are way more than 6 feet apart lol.

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 11:51 AM

It’s laughable for sure , zero social distancing at Lavonia

The COE needs an overhaul in general, they need to lease out East Fork park in it’s entirety to a private for profit entity and watch what it could become.
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 12:20 PM

It’s laughable for sure , zero social distancing at Lavonia

The COE needs an overhaul in general, they need to lease out East Fork park in it’s entirety to a private for profit entity and watch what it could become.

Agree 100%!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 12:56 PM

Truth. Used to be a good lake facilities wise.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 01:21 PM

There are rumors that the COE will be easing up on restrictions soon.
Posted By: KennyB

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 01:37 PM

I will never understand they always site budget shortage but look at Collin Park they don't have to shut down for high water and continue to use their ramps you can also look at Lake of the Pines it is a COE lake all parks very clean and maintained bathrooms very clean and maintained so is there a budget difference or management difference?
Posted By: Resh

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 01:38 PM

I have called the office a couple times in the last couple of weeks. I asked when the restrictions would be over or if they had a timeline to open things back up, Ranger Perrin told me they were just "waiting on the word form above, and had no timleline".

Second call, Ranger Perrin answered the phone again. I told him I was calling to make sure the website was updated accurately as to which ramps were open and closed. He scoffed at me and said they had a much better system now and everything was accurate. 1hr later I drove over the west side bridge and saw the lot at Brockdale full, with a boat on the ramp. Pulled over, opened op the webpage, says Brockdale is "CLOSED until further notice due to COVID-19".

It's like you don't want to piss the people off that are in charge of this stuff and only make it worse, but on the other hand want to call up there everyday and ask wtf is going on. Like others have said, if it's going to be closed, get a guy out there with some gravel or concrete and fill in the craters.

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 02:29 PM

It is super frustrating to see Lavon in the shape its in and other COE lakes that have prideful management and still manage to "serve" the public.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
The ones that are closed are the ones inside the campgrounds.

False. Try again
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 02:36 PM

It is super frustrating to see Lavon in the shape its in and other COE lakes that have prideful management and still manage to "serve" the public.

I think McKinney, Wylie lavon etc should try and get the parks from the corps. Look at Lewisville.. corps lake. Parks run by city. Well maintained. Yes cost a bit to launch but who cares?

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 03:02 PM

I think some well funded group should take East Fork private, move the main ramp gate and fee collection for launches to the entrance by the marina. Then make the camp ground entry a key pad for already register campers. Do road and facility improvements. That camp ground with nice amenities like shower houses and pool along with what the boat ramp would make would do very well. You could have tournament facilities , the horse trails could make you money if made into both horse as well as biking, nature trails.

Home Run.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 06:48 PM

How about Collin Park?
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
How about Collin Park?

Collin Park is open. We were there Sunday before last and it was crowded beyond belief when we left
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 08:20 PM

Conditions are looking up:

https://www.swf.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/2177896/us-army-corps-of-e
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/06/20 11:01 PM

I don't even fish Lavon (been 3 times) but I'm part of the Lavon Lake fishing FB page and all I gotta say is FUUUUGGGG that lake. Ramps are trash, sewage spills, not worth it compared to the surrounding lakes. IMO.

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/07/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing

Thank you for posting that. It’s great new except sentence 1 where it says the phased reopening will be up to each lake. So Lavon will be closed at least the next month due to abnormally sunny conditions.
Posted By: texasryan9

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/13/20 11:04 PM

I'd rather deal with them, than deal with the idiots on the water. Never seen such tom-foolery as has been the case lately.

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/14/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by texasryan9
I'd rather deal with them, than deal with the idiots on the water. Never seen such tom-foolery as has been the case lately.

You mean like the guy in the speedboat tonight flying back and forth in from of the ramp and down the no wake buoy line of the Marina? Of course all of this while his truck and trailer were parked on the ramp, trailer in water. Just hangin out blocking half the ramp.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/14/20 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
There are rumors that the COE will be easing up on restrictions soon.

bang as oftue5/12 most ramps open I know Mallard is closed & 1 other.. BELIEVE or not pebble beach was OPEN!!!!
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Lake Lavon and COVID-19, they really get on my nerves.. - 05/14/20 05:57 PM

Yep, yep, yep, yep and yep.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum