Texas Fishing Forum

Fork winds

Posted By: Dave-0

Fork winds - 05/05/20 05:47 AM

I haven't been fishing in a year and a half. Have an opportunity to take a pond boat out to Fork on Thursday, but they're forecasting winds around 20. Although we're staying around the 515 west ramps, how bad is Mother Fork when the sse winds blow?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Fork winds - 05/05/20 09:52 AM

hang out in williams creek and you can fish all day with south winds
wouldn't go near the main lake in a pondhopper with 20 blowin.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Fork winds - 05/05/20 02:39 PM

Thanks Hop. I'm going to be hanging with my adopted 12 yr old nephew, trying to show him a little about fishing. Don't want to end up on the 6 o'clock news. Think I'm going to drop shot some live shiners and minnows just to keep his attention for a while.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Fork winds - 05/06/20 01:19 PM

Download the free app called Windfinder on your phone. It gives you real time direction & speed of the wind laid over a map of any area you select

This is a screenshot but it is active on the app.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fork winds - 05/07/20 03:15 AM

There are plenty of good coves you can get to or launch from on that side of the lake with significant blockers from a South Wind. There was a post here last week about just that thing... Launch at Popes or Mustang Resort and hit the points, bridges and pockets in both Mustang Creeks. You should have enough cover going through Dolly Parton between the Mustangs. There is also a little cut from Little Mustang to Williams that your Pond Hopper should also make it through!
Posted By: Bartemus

Re: Fork winds - 05/07/20 04:03 PM

I was out there this morning and the wind was blowing pretty good. Probably eight boats in No Name Creek, all trying to get out of the wind. didn't even try to get to the south end of the lake, Little Caney. Home by 10:30 am
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum