Texas Fishing Forum

Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio?

Posted By: Chris_K

Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 09:50 PM

By far my worst hookup percentage. Any special hooks or tips to help?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 09:52 PM

dont set the hook like a tx rig, load the rod like a drop shot first.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 10:26 PM

You will need to be a little more specific. What bait? What hook?

I rarely miss a fish that bites my wacky rig whether it be a Trick worm or a Senko-style bait. Not that I'm a pro but I am very meticulous about what hooks I use for each bait.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

I rarely miss a fish that bites my wacky rig whether it be a Trick worm or a Senko-style bait. Not that I'm a pro but I am very meticulous about what hooks I use for each bait.

I am particular about the hook and rigging method when wacky rigging also:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 10:42 PM

Changing from the little round circle style hooks to a straight shank such as Owners Covershot or VMC Neko helped me tremendously.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 10:57 PM

Various senko and stick baits. Using weedless 3/0 wide gap wacky hook.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
dont set the hook like a tx rig, load the rod like a drop shot first.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Also, use a medium power rod with a fast, but light tip. The hooks need to be REALLY sharp. A wrist flick hookset with moderate pressure, while reeling down on them is what works. Also, a thin wire hook, like a VMC works good. The hook is light and the fish, once pinned, cannot throw the hook.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/01/20 11:44 PM

gamagatsu 3/0 wicked wacky hooks --
o
ringed senkos
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/02/20 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne P.

I am particular about the hook and rigging method when wacky rigging also:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This works if I have to throw one that's what I do.its weedless too usually go in from the top tho

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/03/20 03:15 PM

[Linked Image]

This is a great way to rig a normal Zoom Trick worm. I do it very much the same but with a 3/0 Roboworm Rebarb hook.

I rig a Senko style bait differently with this hook. I use a short piece of silicone tubing around the bait & put the hook thru it. I use a nasal speculum tool to get the silicone tubing onto the Senko.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The little O-rings will work but after 2-3 fish the O-ring cuts your bait in half. I buy medical grade silicone tubing off Amazon by the foot. You want 3/8" ID for most soft stick baits like 5" & 6" Senkos. Then I cut the silicone tubing into approx 1/4 long pieces with scissors. You have enough silicone rings for two years from one foot of silicone tubing.

When you get a bite on this rig you just lift your rod & start reeling fast. The hook sets itself. I rarely miss a fish on this setup. I went to Comodero last Feb and we were catching 100 fish per person per day.

Using this setup with the silicone tubing we would catch TWENTY fish from ONE Yamamoto Senko using this setup. Gary will hate me for sharing this little tip.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/03/20 04:09 PM

[Linked Image]

This is a great way to rig a normal Zoom Trick worm. I do it very much the same but with a 3/0 Roboworm Rebarb hook.

I rig a Senko style bait differently with this hook. I use a short piece of silicone tubing around the bait & put the hook thru it. I use a nasal speculum tool to get the silicone tubing onto the Senko.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The little O-rings will work but after 2-3 fish the O-ring cuts your bait in half. I buy medical grade silicone tubing off Amazon by the foot. You want 3/8" ID for most soft stick baits like 5" & 6" Senkos. Then I cut the silicone tubing into approx 1/4 long pieces with scissors. You have enough silicone rings for two years from one foot of silicone tubing.

When you get a bite on this rig you just lift your rod & start reeling fast. The hook sets itself. I rarely miss a fish on this setup. I went to Comodero last Feb and we were catching 100 fish per person per day.

Using this setup with the silicone tubing we would catch TWENTY fish from ONE Yamamoto Senko using this setup. Gary will hate me for sharing this little tip.

Excellent tip man. Thanks!
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/03/20 07:13 PM

Dang Ken, ya gotta tell everybody? Lol. Been using the tubing deal for awhile now & definately gets more mileage from a pack of Senkos for sure.. Dipping the ring in chart or red spike-it works good tòo.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/03/20 07:39 PM

Circle hook no weed guard
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/03/20 07:59 PM

A lot of people will use a single O ring and then hook through it making the bottom of the hook parallel with the bait. I felt like I was missing fish doing this too and started crossing 2 O rings and then hooking the bait at the intersection so the bait is perpendicular to the hook bend. My hook up ratio went up immediately when I switched to that way. Started using the silicon tubing and won’t ever use an O ring again.

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/03/20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
Dang Ken, ya gotta tell everybody? Lol. Been using the tubing deal for awhile now & definately gets more mileage from a pack of Senkos for sure.. Dipping the ring in chart or red spike-it works good tòo.

I know-I know. roflmao

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/03/20 10:48 PM

If the cover is sparse I go thru both sides of the tubing & the bait so my hook is crossways in the bait. This is how we were doing in Mexico because the fish were stupid and we were fishing around shoreline rock with steep banks with very little brush.

If I am fishing around more brush or grass I will go thru the tubing only so my hook is running parallel to the bait. Makes it come thru cover better. Does that make sense?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Tips to improve wacky rig hookup ratio? - 05/04/20 03:59 PM

Don’t use hooks with weed guards
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum