Texas Fishing Forum

How to prevent bass from throwing hook

Posted By: bass1n

How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/01/20 09:31 PM

We have all experience hooking a fish just to have b line to the surface and throw your bait. What is the best proceedure percentage wise to land the fish? Jam your pole in the water and apply maximum pressure or bow to the fish and steady pressure?

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: 9094

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/01/20 10:08 PM

Get that fish in the boat as fast as you can.
Be ready to give drag, I use the thumb pressure on spool push release bar method.
Keep rod tip low in open water keep high in heavy cover.
Use the biggest hooks you can that still allow the bait to perform correctly.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/01/20 10:12 PM

One of the reasons I love bass fishing is because they do jump after you hook them. I know when they jump they have the highest probability of throwing the hook but I don't care. You can try jamming your rod into the water & reeling like a madman as you see the line coming up but you cannot keep a good fish over 6 pounds from clearing the water if she is out away from the boat a ways.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/01/20 11:08 PM

Treble hooks always worry me more than a 4/0 or 5/0 hook. Treble hooks I keep the rod tip down and try and keep them from jumping. Rest I just reel. If it's lily pads or other roots I get them the hell into open water as fast as I can. I don't know how they do it, but they ram the now exposed hook into roots and can somehow get off. That amazes me.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/01/20 11:28 PM

I guess I’m the opposite. I give a BUNCH of slack in the line when they jump and head shake. The fish can’t leverage the bait that way. As for trebles, it usually winds up getting even more hooks in them when they shake. Also, on really big fish, I will loosen the drag a little to keep them from getting leverage on a hook.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it works for me.
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/01/20 11:52 PM

Use trapper hooks. They look dumb but they work
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/02/20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by 9094
Be ready to give drag, I use the thumb pressure on spool push release bar method.

This is the way I do it. It is called SKIING the fish to the net. Practice on small fish and work your way up; but you have to survive that first jump to flatten the fish out on the surface.

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/02/20 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper

This is the way I do it. It is called SKIING the fish to the net. Practice on small fish and work your way up; but you have to survive that first jump to flatten the fish out on the surface.

Is like to see y’all “ski” an 8 pounder on 6lb line. Lol
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/02/20 02:01 AM

Never drop below 17 an that is in open water. I know what you are saying though. Some guys use the light stuff and have to play the fish. Most fisherman feel the need to play a fish for the fight and nothing wrong with that at all.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/02/20 02:38 AM

Play with them after you get him in the boat, bet the 14 out of Alan Henry wasn't on 6 lb line. That lake is loaded with cedar trees. fish
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/02/20 02:39 AM

I'll let 'em jump, but pull them down & bring in as hard as I feel I can get away with. Watching them come up & shake that head is what gets me pumped up!
Posted By: Go-N-Slow

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/02/20 10:20 PM

Bow to the king.....
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/03/20 02:21 PM

I discovered years ago (when I was cheap) that the reason that fish were coming off, was HOOK SHARPNESS. Could be, that you are not getting the hook penetration that you think you are.

Use only extremely sharp hooks for awhile and see if your issue doesn't improve.
Posted By: 9094

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/03/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

That would be hard to see with me as I don’t use 6 lb line.
Of course if I were I wouldn’t ski one back. But I can assure you with regular bass tackle not ultralight stuff the best way to not lose a fish is to get it in the boat as fast as you can. No matter what size.

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/03/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

That would be hard to see with me as I don’t use 6 lb line.
Of course if I were I wouldn’t ski one back. But I can assure you with regular bass tackle not ultralight stuff the best way to not lose a fish is to get it in the boat as fast as you can. No matter what size.

I agree there is a time and a place for finesse landing and horsing.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/03/20 03:06 PM

Initial hookset is key. Solid first hookset, even with crankbaits, then steady pressure. Keeping control of their head and keeping them down if possible. Getting them in the boat or kayak as fast as reasonably possible. You can play the ones under 6lb with drag adjustments especially when they make their final surges close to the boat/kayak. But the big girls need to get in the boat ASAP before they dive and wrap you around something. Having a net ready helps save your hands from treble hooks when they are still green and full of energy.

After reading one of Roland Martin’s books, I tried double hook setting and didn’t like it. Maybe this worked better with the hooks from the 70s.
Posted By: TexY3TI

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/04/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Big Hopper
I discovered years ago (when I was cheap) that the reason that fish were coming off, was HOOK SHARPNESS. Could be, that you are not getting the hook penetration that you think you are.

Use only extremely sharp hooks for awhile and see if your issue doesn't improve.

I totally agree...I tried to sharpen my hooks but now I just buy new ones and keep them in a box.

It’s crazy how sharp a hook has to be to actually penetrate a fishes mouth...
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/04/20 01:28 AM

I like to get them in the boat before they’re hooked. I don’t finesse fish. I did have a 31/2 pound jig fish this morning on Leon catch air several times but I was fun fishing, I wven Biil Danced him next to the boat until he was worn out.

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/04/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX

After reading one of Roland Martin’s books, I tried double book setting and didn’t like it. Maybe this worked better with the hooks from the 70s.

Hooks & line. Everyone used mono in the 70's. Stren or Berkley Trilene. Both stretched like a rubber band compared to fluorocarbon. Braid came into play in the mid-80's and really changed the game.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/04/20 03:10 AM

Never drop below 17 an that is in open water. I know what you are saying though. Some guys use the light stuff and have to play the fish. Most fisherman feel the need to play a fish for the fight and nothing wrong with that at all.

I agree with Donald 100% I get more big fish in the boat than anyone I have fished with. Biggest line practical, stout rods, unrelenting pressure. I've skied 10 pounders over mesquite bushes. Once they're in the boat we can all play with them, until then maximum warp. One other thing, heavy mono will put more big fish in the boat than either braid or Flouro. Stretch is your friend when fighting a fish.
Posted By: bass1n

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/05/20 04:41 PM

Just goes to show there are different ideas on how to keep a high flying fish from spitting your bait. I have tried these all with some success and some heartbreaking conclusions. I suppose each fish and rig ( whether worm, CB, sb, cr, tw, ) is different....

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/05/20 05:27 PM

Very true. Experience and the freshness of your line and hooks are significant factors.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/05/20 06:33 PM

Reel them to the boat and then Bill Dance them back and forth for the camera a few minutes...I love that guy!
Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/05/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by bass1n
We have all experience hooking a fish just to have b line to the surface and throw your bait. What is the best proceedure percentage wise to land the fish? Jam your pole in the water and apply maximum pressure or bow to the fish and steady pressure?

I don't know. For the short time I club tournament fished I found the Rattle Trap was the worst bait of all for this. I imagined ways to improve the bait which included a crazy idea of connecting the rear hook to the bait with a small cable to dampen the movement. It seems the weight of that bait jerking on that rear hook and bass's incredible desire to flail about to get rid of it caused at times more than a 50% fail to land the fish. Crank baits are likely similar. I loved fishing a lipless crank like the RT at the right time of the year, but I sure lost a bunch of fish.

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/05/20 10:47 PM

I think they may be onto something with this new hook.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sav...mB59VNlTqUnTQ4Wcz6Yl4Q8jW9UaAtVuEALw_wcB
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/06/20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Hmmm.
Those might work!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/06/20 05:33 PM

Yep
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/06/20 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Very interesting for sure

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/07/20 03:06 AM

Those look awesome. Should work great for 10XDs and treble hooked swimbaits.
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: How to prevent bass from throwing hook - 05/10/20 07:02 AM

Funny timing..I had two jump off a swimjig the other day.. Annoyed me to no end as both jumped and spit me out looking at me drinking a cocktail smoking a cig with a middle fin pointed at meh!..

One about 4 and one about 6.. Best advice you already got. Stick your rod down, sharpen the hooks..

Swimjigs are movers.. Usually the fish where im fishing pound it and penetrate themselves.. Not the other day...Anyway
I thought maybe I had cut the hook guard down too much...

The truth, mean fish that know jumping works. LOL..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum