Texas Fishing Forum

Rod repair near Keller

Posted By: Pops0598

Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 01:50 AM

I need eyelets replaced on two rods. Can anyone recommend where to take rods near Keller?

Thanks
Posted By: MikeW07

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 12:14 PM

Well as soon as they can reopen you can take it up to Anglers Pro Tackle of Rufe Snow and they have a guy that picks them up - fixes and returns them to the store.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 12:28 PM

Angler's Pro Tackle is probably closest to you. Fun N Sun in Hurst also has a guy that picks up rods weekly for repair.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 01:10 PM

Not too far south from you (and I have met him halfway to give rods and pickup), Kevin Smith - Shamrock Rod Services 817-219-3049 Very reasonable, quick and quality work
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 03:05 PM

If you can't wait for stores to open, you can fix them yourself in about 10-minutes. Buy a rod repair kit at WalMart or Academy. Cut the old broken eyelet off with a sharp razor (don't cut into the blank). Wrap the new eyelet with thin thread. Coat the thread with super glue. You can spend more time and wrapping to make it look cleaner, but here is one I fixed yesterday. Works fine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by chickenfried76
If you can't wait for stores to open, you can fix them yourself in about 10-minutes. Buy a rod repair kit at WalMart or Academy. Cut the old broken eyelet off with a sharp razor (don't cut into the blank). Wrap the new eyelet with thin thread. Coat the thread with super glue. You can spend more time and wrapping to make it look cleaner, but here is one I fixed yesterday. Works fine.
[Linked Image]

No offense but it looks like a drunk monkey repaired that one
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by chickenfried76
[Linked Image]

No offense but it looks like a drunk monkey repaired that one

I'd agree...but the basic premise is the same. Look up rod repair on YouTube (there are a bunch of good instructions) I repaired a Castaway rod myself using super glue, UV cement and coated it with clear fingernail polish. I had some matching thread in my fly tying gear. If you take your time and use a small loop of braid to pull the tag end back through, it looks much cleaner and will hold better.
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/01/20 06:52 PM

I did say that there are cleaner ways to do it. But this will hold just fine.
Posted By: Pops0598

Re: Rod repair near Keller - 05/06/20 10:38 PM

I can't get through to Kevin Smith at the number provided above. Anyone have an update phone number for him?

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum