Texas Fishing Forum

Gator Awareness - Fork

Posted By: TajChauvin

Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/29/20 11:05 PM

Today while fishing across from Hideaway Harbor we came in contact with a +10 foot gator. Being from Southern Louisiana and fishing around gators my entire life, I’ve rarely come across aggressive gators. However, I just wanted to make others aware of its presence. As seen in the pictures, this gator had no issue coming out to greet us and kept it’s back out of the water the entire time. We showed it respect and moved to another cove.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/29/20 11:10 PM

That is awesome. Saw my first gator on Fork a few weeks ago. Maybe 6-7 feet long. Very cool. Prefer them to snakes!!!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/29/20 11:19 PM

Seen the one at Lake Arlington a few times now. They pretty much keep to themselves if you leave them alone. Cool pics

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/29/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
Seen the one at Lake Arlington a few times now. They pretty much keep to themselves if you leave them alone. Cool pics

Binoculars and a iPhone.
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/29/20 11:30 PM

Does his back being above the water signify anything or is it normal to swim that way?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/29/20 11:49 PM

the choke gators are fun to be around. i dont understand why people freak out about texas gators. they are in almost every lake and are harmless.

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/29/20 11:52 PM

I’m not sure if it’s scientifically proven but I’ve always known more aggressive gators to have their entire bodies up. Im no expert but I think it’s a display display of dominance. Often times you will only see the head above water and if you get close they will sink under and resurface in a new location further away. This is especially true with small gators.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by TajChauvin
I’m not sure if it’s scientifically proven but I’ve always known more aggressive gators to have their entire bodies up. Im no expert but I think it’s a display display of dominance. Often times you will only see the head above water and if you get close they will sink under and resurface in a new location further away. This is especially true with small gators.

I think that could be true. It’s like turtles they jump into the water when you’re close.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 01:42 AM

Seen dozens on Sheldon just about every tine I go.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
the choke gators are fun to be around. i dont understand why people freak out about texas gators. they are in almost every lake and are kinda mostly semiharmless.

FIFY
Posted By: rut-roe

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:23 AM

Go to the back of houssen bay on Toledo bend in the back and shine a light you can see all the gators you want to look at. Big Sam got some nice ones in it to
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:51 AM

Big Gator! Awesome site. thumb
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 03:02 AM

[Linked Image]
Lots of big gators in back of Little Caney. Spoke to a guy that lives on that part of the lake that counted over 20 babies last spring.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4
[Linked Image]
Lots of big gators in back of Little Caney. Spoke to a guy that lives on that part of the lake that counted over 20 babies last spring.
[Linked Image]

How close do you get with your kayak?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 03:22 AM

May be time to start a cull program
Posted By: 361V

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
Does his back being above the water signify anything or is it normal to swim that way?
Signifies he ain’t scared! For the most part gators are “shy” around humans. Keep their distance. When I see the Squaw Creek gators they were almost always off in the distance and would swim away or submerge before you could get close to them. The OP’s point is this one had no fear of the humans being close. Doesn’t mean anything....just an observation. I think the American alligator is one of the success stories of my lifetime. In Texas and most southern states they were nearly all gone. As a kid they were almost just urban lore. Now they are all over southern, northern and eastern Texas. As a kid who would have thought I would see gators and bald eagles in North Texas?
Posted By: LA Ron

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 12:23 PM

I see alligators in the lakes around here all the time. In the spring the males will get up high in the water. I think it is a mating thing. Pretty awsome to hear them bellowing. Lured a big one up within 10 ft of the boat with a frog a couple of days ago. When he tore out it was a very impressive wake. He came up a little further out in the late and I lured him back again. I see big gators all the time that I try to get close enough to get a good picture. Some you can get within 30 yards, most go down way before that. Of course they are hunted here every year in September, so Louisiana gators may be a lot more skittish than the ones in Texas.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 12:36 PM

Probably had some young ones around. we are at the end of there mate-ing season.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 01:01 PM

the choke gators are fun to be around. i dont understand why people freak out about texas gators. they are in almost every lake and are harmless.

Well then get your azz in the water and then let's just see how harmless they are

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 01:34 PM

Been swimming Texas lakes for over 40 years, but thanks for your concern...
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 01:42 PM

A lot of people swim and sit chest high in the water at Choke when their fishing off the rocks at Calliham. Not me!! I had a 12 +/- footer surface right next to me one day, I could have leaned over and pat him on the head. Instead, my azz puckered up and I quickly went on my way. At a club tournament, my buddy had one that tried to get on board at the stern. Double pucker!!
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 01:44 PM

Fished around gators in MS for long time. They don't really bother me. Except for the one that was eyeballing me from about 3' away....
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:08 PM

those 20 baby gators probable ended up as gator food for momma or papa. Alligators eat everything including their own babies. Lots of ducks, coons, deer, turtles, squirrels, otters
and anything else that drinks water from the lake. I'd say nutrients because they used to be everywhere but I hardly see them anymore.

I think that the alligators babies should be caught and moved to other coves at Fork to solve the turtle/hydrilla problem. While we know that hydrilla is in the soil and will grow if left alone, the turtles love to eat immature plants. Proven by the fences put up in remote locations.

I saw one in Little Caney last year that might have been 12' just swimming along on the surface not near any boats or even knowing anyone else was around. So that might be normal behavior for them.
Posted By: Jaydub

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:09 PM

I grew up swimming and water skiing on the Tickfaw River in south Louisiana, never had a problem.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:40 PM

Have a good friend in Tickfaw La. But first time I've seen Tickfaw mentioned online. He'd be proud.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:47 PM

Saw one in the small cove next to Wolfe last Saturday... maybe 2-3 ft long.
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 02:51 PM

Walked up on one at Fork 2 weeks ago while doing a little late night bank fishing. Scared the [censored] out of me. 6'-7' footer. Location was in the cove behind Mustang Resort.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 03:10 PM

I'm awaiting my first encounter with one...I have yet to see an alligator in the wild. Only behind glass at zoos / aquariums.
Posted By: S Fatherree

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 03:18 PM

It is pretty cool that there are alligators on fisheries across Texas. They are amazing creatures and much more than not seem to keep to themselves which is great. If there was one area in which I might be a bit nervous in swimming through during the nighttime on Lake Fork it without a doubt be in the top 20% of water in the northern areas of Little Caney. It seems that the alligators in Fork really enjoy shallow water coves that are not only protected from heavy winds but that also back up to ponds which are separated from the main lake coves on Lake Fork. I think they also like these areas due to the amount of dense aquatic vegetation that seems to be present year after year which they can use for cover as well as the amount of nutrias in those areas which they can feed upon. I will never forget fishing on Choke Canyon Reservoir the first time many years ago and seeing zoo sized alligators sunning themselves on the bank in groups of over 5 at a time. That is one lake you will never find me swimming in or talking a stroll on the land for any reason whatsoever..no way. It was an incredible sight to witness as I had no idea we have lakes in Texas with such large sized alligators. Perhaps I missed them but I think Choke Canyon Reservoir could use a few more signs at their public boat ramps informing the fisherman that there are alligators the size of their glass bass boats in that fishery.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 03:30 PM

gators are common in the lakes in south Georgia....typically the only time you see several gators in one spot is during mating season....a few times over the years I've hooked big gators when I was punching/flipping matted grass....you will think you have just hooked a world record bass until you see a trail of bubbles coming to the top as the gator swims off...if you're flipping with braid,get your scissors out and cut the line soon as you can or the gator will take all your line...
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 03:38 PM

Looks like a good place to do some innertube fishing! bolt
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 04:09 PM

Fork needs more gators!
Never seen so many turtles in a lake before......they are EVERYWHERE back in coves
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 04:40 PM

I know of two in Choke that are at least 19 feet. Saw one chowing on a huge doe that came down for a drink of water and ended up being breakfast. That gator grabbed that deer right before we came around the point and it was in the killing stage. That was a sight to see!!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
I know of two in Choke that are at least 19 feet. Saw one chowing on a huge doe that came down for a drink of water and ended up being breakfast. That gator grabbed that deer right before we came around the point and it was in the killing stage. That was a sight to see!!

If they are 19' they are US record size class. I mean pushing longest ever in the US.
Posted By: Chuck A

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 05:13 PM

The current record is a 14.8-foot, 880-pound alligator taken near Lufkin, Texas, in 2008. Owens, who is also a certified scorer for Safari Club International, measured the gator for the official world record application.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 05:38 PM

Yeah, no one has ever caught or killed an American gator over 15ft. The world record was just under 15ft in Alabama.

But there's a bunch of fishermen in here and you all know how much we exaggerate.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 05:44 PM

How do you respect to a gator?
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 05:44 PM

I've only seen 2 on Fork that were around 12 ft. in length. One was in Double in Birch. Which I havent seen him in years. And the other is back in Little Caney in the same area this one is in. Seen a bunch of 5 to 7 ft. ones though.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mudshark

Dont call it a crocodile?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by EastTexasBassin
Yeah, no one has ever caught or killed an American gator over 15ft. The world record was just under 15ft in Alabama.

But there's a bunch of fishermen in here and you all know how much we exaggerate.

There’s an 18’8” on Clark!

Oh....wait....that’s a skeeter.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 06:48 PM

19ft. Lol roflmao
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 06:55 PM

You might want to change your name to Bongwater
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 07:13 PM

Let me guess TW, you gotta Ranger that runs 85 GPS.

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 07:14 PM

19 footer, lmao. I've spent alot of time on Choke when I lived down there. Sounds like the 19 pounders I was catching in her glory days...

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 07:14 PM

6ft waves too.

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mudshark

Don't use turtle wax to shine them

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 04/30/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
I've only seen 2 on Fork that were around 12 ft. in length. One was in Double in Birch. Which I havent seen him in years. And the other is back in Little Caney in the same area this one is in. Seen a bunch of 5 to 7 ft. ones though.

I was thinking more 12 foot also but it’s hard to tell from 50 feet away. It’s up there with some of the big ones I’ve seen in the swamp.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 01:11 AM

I guarantee theres a couple at rayburn that will threaten that record. Atleast there was when that big drought was there. I've seen atleast 3 that were pushing the 14' range. Once over by new Orleans we were fishing down a little backwater with tons of gators. We were in a small aluminum and there were so many in such a small area it made me worry. We kind of sped up to go on by and we startled a huge one, I never got a look at it but the wave was big enough i thought we would flip. Scared the living $#!+ out of us
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger1

You might want to change your name to Bongwater

roflmao
Posted By: Go-N-Slow

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sinkey

I was thinking more 12 foot also but it’s hard to tell from 50 feet away. It’s up there with some of the big ones I’ve seen in the swamp.

Seen on fork little Caney 8 or 10 baby alligators chirping...never seen the moma but there were big slides on the bank and what appeared to be a mound beside the bank ..most likely she was right under our boat the whole time....it was in a small pond beside the lake that was flooded enough to get our boat in.....this was probably 4 years ago......and a 5 footer on Rayburn burst out of pads to attack my top water popper on Rayburn....
Posted By: docntx

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 01:56 AM

Saw the gator in the article below in the Deer Stand area of Rayburn last summer. Being raised in Deep SE Texas I have seen hundreds of gators in the wild but this was the largest I have ever seen.

https://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/article_28f64690-2b2b-11e9-85d8-4321486b17e3.html
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't know, maybe 25 feet to get a good picture. I fished for many years in the Everglades and once had a 10 foot crocodile run right over the bow of my kayak as I came around a wind protected point trying to get out of an approaching wind and rain storm. It was sunning on that bank and high stepped onto and over kayak in less than a foot of water, barely broke stride.

I'm still fascinated with them. Hit two with my car over the years driving into Everglades National Park.

[Linked Image]
Crocodile in one of my favorite snook holes... 15 or so years ago.

[Linked Image]
Crocodile, 2019.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Only dead one I've seen in nature.. above.
Posted By: docntx

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 02:21 AM

Great pics.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't know, maybe 25 feet to get a good picture. I fished for many years in the Everglades and once had a 10 foot crocodile run right over the bow of my kayak as I came around a wind protected point trying to get out of an approaching wind and rain storm. It was sunning on that bank and high stepped onto and over kayak in less than a foot of water, barely broke stride.

I'm still fascinated with them. Hit two with my car over the years driving into Everglades National Park.

[Linked Image]
Crocodile in one of my favorite snook holes... 15 or so years ago.

[Linked Image]
Crocodile, 2019.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Only dead one I've seen in nature.. above.

Awe hell no! I would have either had a heart attack or ran across the water all the way to my truck if one of those things came across my bow in a yak
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 02:36 AM

You can estimate their length by measuring their eyes to the tip of their nose this will give u some idea of how long they are. La Ron can chime in he's caught a 12'9" 750 lber.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 05:10 PM

Lake Raven in Huntsville is loaded with them. Makes for some good entertainment when the fish arent biting
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by docntx
Saw the gator in the article below in the Deer Stand area of Rayburn last summer. Being raised in Deep SE Texas I have seen hundreds of gators in the wild but this was the largest I have ever seen.

https://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/article_28f64690-2b2b-11e9-85d8-4321486b17e3.html

that guy has been there a LONG time. My mentor Bert had a place near Hanks Creek years ago...and he and I watched that very gator in a staredown on the hump on the backside of the Deerstand with a blue heron. The heron was standing on the hump and the gator (about 10ft at the time) was about 3 ft from him. Neither moved a muscle for the whole two hours we fished there. That was about 15-16 years ago. Last fall I saw what I thought was a large log in that area and used my trolling motor to go near it. The gator went under my 21ft bay boat and was 3/4 as big as the boat. That's a huge gator there. Every bit of 12-14ft.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/01/20 11:28 PM

Did I read somewhere Texas parks and Wildlife was releasing gators into Fork some reason? Did ny brain make that up? I'm a but tired
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/02/20 01:52 AM

... this gator had no issue coming out to greet us and kept it’s back out of the water the entire time. We showed it respect and moved to another cove.

Since we don't have those big lizards up this way... School me, what does showing his back mean???... I get down Florida way and Texas occasionally and would like to know what that means... Dan
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/02/20 03:29 AM

I lived in South Florida for 20 years, so very accustomed to gators. When they intend to be stealthy, they may only have their eyes and nostrils above the surface. If they want to bluff you away, or defend a spot, they will hold more air in their lungs to become more buoyant. This raises their body up to the surface where you see a lot more of their body. They're trying to intimidate by showing off their size, just like a bird that may puff up or spread its wings in standing ground.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/02/20 07:54 PM

Pretty rare but I'm not sure I would go as far as "Harmless"
https://www.foxnews.com/us/alligator-encounter-leaves-south-carolina-woman-dead
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/05/20 12:59 PM

Well that lady wanted to be killed from what the witnesses have said.

KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. — A woman killed by an alligator at a South Carolina pond told a friend she wanted to get close to the animal and didn’t scream as it attacked her and dragged her into the water, according to a police report.

Cynthia Covert, 58, died in the attack Friday afternoon on Kiawah Island, Charleston County deputies said.

A deputy had to shoot and kill the alligator to get Covert away from the animal, according to the police report released Monday.

The woman Covert was staying with said she didn’t seem herself Friday and walked toward the alligator, which lunged and grabbed her in its mouth when she was about 4 feet away, deputies said.

Covert, of Johns Island, made no sound as the alligator pulled her under, the woman told police.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/05/20 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
Did I read somewhere Texas parks and Wildlife was releasing gators into Fork some reason? Did ny brain make that up? I'm a but tired

I've heard this as well, was told it was run in conjunction with their unicorn stockings in the early 80's.

Apparently, it was more successful than the unicorns...……..
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/05/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger1

Well then get your azz in the water and then let's just see how harmless they are

https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/04/us/texas-alligator-attack/index.html

This guy was stoopid but an alligator that was desensitized to humans was the culprit.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/05/20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama

I've heard this as well, was told it was run in conjunction with their unicorn stockings in the early 80's.

Apparently, it was more successful than the unicorns...……..

Black helicopters man.

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/05/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

If they are 19' they are US record size class. I mean pushing longest ever in the US.

Yeah, a real record smasher, like 4 foot larger than ever recorded in the US (15') and just a foot shorter than the largest crocodile ever. Gotta call bovine scat on this one.

Grew up in the marshes of SE Tx and SW La and seen some big ones ... 10 foot is very big and 12' is huge !

Re: Gator Awareness - Fork - 05/05/20 02:24 PM

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alligator-largest-caught-alive-texas-wildlife-refuge/story?id=42776750

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/young-texas-hunter-bags-800-pound-alligator/

14'3"

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum