Texas Fishing Forum

Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal?

Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/17/20 06:23 PM

Having hell finding a used intracoastal. Are there others I should be looking at?

PS - If you know anyone looking to dump their 20'+ intracoastal send them my way!

TIA!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/17/20 06:39 PM

Skeeter makes a couple
Posted By: Mp Rock

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/17/20 06:56 PM

Have you considered using a CC for bass fishing? Plenty of good options out there with Tran Sport and Haynie going to the top of my lists.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/17/20 08:28 PM

https://www.laniercustomboats.com/

Get one of these and then watch the faces of the people you're passing while you're running 60 in 3 foot waves.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/17/20 08:44 PM

Legend used to make one if you are looking at used.
Posted By: BorNella

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/17/20 09:38 PM

Look at the 22 Majek Extreme.

I'm in the market for one now. They will eat chop alive as fast as you want to go.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sambow

I'm in the market for one now. They will eat chop alive as fast as you want to go.

If I was going to do more bass tournament fishing I would get a Ultrex to swap out when in fresh water. The Terrova is on a removable mount.

Good boat if you want to do both salt and freshwater. I got one in October. I had a Bass Cat. Super happy with the Majek. I would have liked the lower bubble console but found a super deal on the one I brought. [Linked Image]

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker

If I was going to do more bass tournament fishing I would get a Ultrex to swap out when in fresh water. The Terrova is on a removable mount.

Good boat if you want to do both salt and freshwater. I got one in October. I had a Bass Cat. Super happy with the Majek. I would have liked the lower bubble console but found a super deal on the one I brought. [Linked Image]

Sweet looking rig. I love your setup. Some of the bubble consoles don't have seats on the front. I have fished out of multiple Extremes and they are as good as it gets. They aren't tunnel hulls so the performance you would want in a bass boat is there.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 12:28 AM

Have the same boat with a 225 Optimax, Power Pole, Riptide, Garmin units, etc.. Came from a bass boat simply because I'm 20 mins from the bay, so owning a boat that could do both made more since.

OP, I would HIGHLY recommend the Extreme. I can be on West Galveston Bay Saturday fishing for trout, reds, and flounder, and then wake up Sunday morning and head to Rayburn. They are SUPER versitale boats. With the 225 Optimax, with just me and a normal load I have topped 64mph WOT.

The problem with a bass boat in the saltwater (even if it's "built for it") is bass boats just arent designed to take on the chop and the general envrioment in saltwater. A center console bay boat is..... There have been days on the bay where I'd be hating life if I was out there in a bass boat. They just aren't built for that, there's no way to sugar coat it.

Again, highly recommend the Extreme. I bass fish out of mine 8-10hr days no problem, and keep up with the Rangers and Skeeters no problem. Majek literally designed this boat to do both fresh and saltwater.

They handle chop very well!!! And they get shallower than bass boats.. I've been up on parts of Lake Conroe in my Extreme that some bass boats in the same area couldn't get to. And like said above, they aren't tunnel hull and perform very similar to a bass boat. They are fast hulls that handle like a dream..

If you have any questions let me know!
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 12:31 AM

A Bullet still rates as my favorite boat of all times. I would look at this one.

https://www.bulletboats.com/22sf.html
Posted By: KWAKZ

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 12:54 AM

I was in the same boat as you searching for an Intracoastal in 2017. After no success, I finally just ordered my Xtreme. Mine spends 95% of its life on Rayburn. [Linked Image]

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by KWAKZ
I was in the same boat as you searching for an Intracoastal in 2017. After no success, I finally just ordered my Xtreme. Mine spends 95% of its life on Rayburn. [Linked Image]

That boat is bad to the bone. I think I would look really good standing on the front of one just about like it. laugh

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 01:02 AM

That boat is bad to the bone. I think I would look really good standing on the front of one just about like it. laugh

Haha, everything’s for sale for the right price. I’ve contemplated many times getting rid of it to get back into a bass boat
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 01:32 AM

I owned a 22 Majek Extreme w/ 250 SHO. It was bad to the bone. It wasn't ideal for fishing bass tournaments for me though which is primarily what I like to do.

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by B. Dill
I owned a 2014 22 Majek Extreme w/ 250 SHO. It was bad to the bone. It wasn't ideal for fishing bass tournaments for me though which is primarily what I like to do.

I’ll fully agree with you on that, hence why I’ve contemplated off and on selling mine. They’re awesome boats, but definitely not a bass boat.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 02:02 AM

Triton made some in the past, TX models were TR model hulls with intracoastal tops, no carpet, bait hatch large gas tank, etc. Not sure if any are currently made.

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 02:22 AM

I owned a 2014 22 Majek Extreme w/ 250 SHO. It was bad to the bone. It wasn't ideal for fishing bass tournaments for me though which is primarily what I like to do.

I’ll fully agree with you on that, hence why I’ve contemplated off and on selling mine. They’re awesome boats, but definitely not a bass boat.

I could see that for sure. With the Extreme you definitely lose storage compared to a bass boat.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 02:28 PM

My boat is a Scout 192 Sportfish.. which is a 19' center console flats boat that has some bass boat features. Scout doesn't make this model any more, mine is a 2000 model. I love the fact that it is all fiberglass.. no wood, no carpet, basically nothing to rot on the boat. I have considered glassing in the front of the boat to make a larger casting deck and increasing the storage, but that is a pretty big change in the geometry of the boat to do that. The rod storage is in the gunnels with velcro rod storage on the outside of the gunnel doors. There are definetly some negatives to the design but overall it fishes really well.. only draws about 10" of water and is a pretty dry ride.
Posted By: junk baits

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 03:24 PM

[Linked Image]

Haynie is a good boat also.
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 03:33 PM

I ran a Majek for 3 yrs they are bad [censored] boats the biggest problem I had was no rod storage. Also any thing you had in the storage would get wet in rain or ruff water. The best thing about them they hold there value.

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by capt grumpy
I ran a Majek for 3 yrs they are bad [censored] boats the biggest problem I had was no rod storage. Also any thing you had in the storage would get wet in rain or ruff water. The best thing about them they hold there value.

That is something I hadn't thought about. I wonder of there is a way to seal the hatches?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 03:46 PM

https://www.bulletboats.com/22sf.html
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by capt grumpy

That is something I hadn't thought about. I wonder of there is a way to seal the hatches?

Mine will hold a total of 18 rods... 6 around the console, 4 in the rocket launchers, 4 under the gunnels on the bow, 4 under the gunnels on the stern. Bass fishing I only carry like 6 or 7 rods so I don't have an issue with it.

As far the hatches go.. yes, I agree. They are self bailing, but they still do get water in them. I don't really thing there is a way around it, but as long as they aren't covered in water they are fine.. Rain has never been an issue with mine.. Taking water over the bow from a wake boat or something like that has been an issue.

Like said above, they aren't a bass boat.. But the Intercoastal you're trying to buy isn't a bay boat either (realisitcly.) So if you want that happy medium, the Extreme would be it. I actually do YouTube videos and have some vids of me bass fishing out of the Extreme on Conroe and what not.. If you want I can send you the links
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/18/20 05:26 PM

find a champion 24'

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Legend used to make one if you are looking at used.

yes that thing was beautiful http://legendmarine.com/wp-content/gallery/V-21i/v21-2.jpg

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 12:04 PM

[Linked Image]

If I primarily fished tournaments and only a handful of saltwater trips per year. I would have a bass boat and use a guide of saltwater

For Bass fishing the 22 Majek only has four below deck rod holders. The storage compartments aren’t totally dry. In Saltwater I never leave tackle in the boat. It has less storage than a bass boat. You can’t use a Ultrex in saltwater. It would not last long. You could have both a Terrova and Ultrex and just have the quick change mount. Mine has that. I can take the trolling motor off or put it on in about 30 seconds. I take it off when we are strictly wade fishing. With the 200 Suzuki it’s a 50 mph boat with a full load. With a 250 SHO and a lot of tweaking they get the bait in the low 70’s. It’s a little large for some types of fishing. It floats pretty shallow, drafts about a foot. It rides pretty good. You won’t have a issue in big water that a bass boat can handle. It’s also less than a bass boat. New it was $49,999 + TTL. I added the trolling motor, Talon, rear seat, light bar, and had the aluminum powder coated. My wife wanted the back seat so I made her pay for it. It can be removed in 2 minutes. Hummingbird 1197 was off my bass boat. All in brand new I have $57,000 in the boat. Saltwater is primary about gps, bait action, bird action and tide, less about side imaging although there are times it handy.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 12:16 PM

[Linked Image]

If I primarily fished tournaments and only a handful of saltwater trips per year. I would have a bass boat and use a guide of saltwater

For Bass fishing the 22 Majek only has four below deck rod holders. The storage compartments aren’t totally dry. In Saltwater I never leave tackle in the boat. It has less storage than a bass boat. You can’t use a Ultrex in saltwater. It would not last long. You could have both a Terrova and Ultrex and just have the quick change mount. Mine has that. I can take the trolling motor off or put it on in about 30 seconds. I take it off when we are strictly wade fishing. With the 200 Suzuki it’s a 50 mph boat with a full load. With a 250 SHO and a lot of tweaking they get the bait in the low 70’s. It’s a little large for some types of fishing. It floats pretty shallow, drafts about a foot. It rides pretty good. You won’t have a issue in big water that a bass boat can handle. It’s also less than a bass boat. New it was $49,999 + TTL. I added the trolling motor, Talon, rear seat, light bar, and had the aluminum powder coated. My wife wanted the back seat so I made her pay for it. It can be removed in 2 minutes. Hummingbird 1197 was off my bass boat. All in brand new I have $57,000 in the boat. Saltwater is primary about gps, bait action, bird action and tide, less about side imaging although there are times it handy.

I looked at one of these when I was shopping for a center console. Only thing that kept me from buying it was the lack of rod lockers. If they ever come out with one with an extended front deck and rod lockers I'd probably jump on it.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 01:06 PM

Caymus Boats started in the saltwater then went Bass. They have both
Posted By: JoshMo

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 01:51 PM

I spent years looking for a boat that I could use in both fresh as well as salt and also looked at the intercoastal bass boats. Ended up buying a Turner (center console) a few years ago and couldn't be happier. LOTS of storage and 2 rod lockers were a big plus for me as well as the huge front deck. I know that John Turner has come out with some new console options over the past few years. Should definitely check these boats out if you are looking for a dual purpose fresh/salt boat. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by JoshMo
I spent years looking for a boat that I could use in both fresh as well as salt and also looked at the intercoastal bass boats. Ended up buying a Turner (center console) a few years ago and couldn't be happier. LOTS of storage and 2 rod lockers were a big plus for me as well as the huge front deck. I know that John Turner has come out with some new console options over the past few years. Should definitely check these boats out if you are looking for a dual purpose fresh/salt boat. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

flehan
Posted By: JBranham

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 04:44 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've seen this boat on Conroe quite a few times and it's a pretty sweet setup. That Verado gets it up and going quick!

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 05:55 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks similar to a Yellowfin
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Any bass boat options for saltwater other than a Ranger Intracoastal? - 04/19/20 11:22 PM

Having hell finding a used intracoastal. Are there others I should be looking at?

PS - If you know anyone looking to dump their 20'+ intracoastal send them my way!

TIA!

I used to have a 21' Sea Pro center console for saltwater and a 17'-6" Stratos for freshwater. After a few years, I got tired of fixing and paying for 2 boats. I sold both of them and boat a 2001 Triton Tx-21, their crossover boat. I use it for freshwater and bay fishing. I would never take it anywhere like the jetties because the waves are just too big for me.

Triton made the Tx-21 for a few years, stopped, made it again, then stopped again. They are very hard to find. Stratos made one for awhile. I have seen several Ranger Intracoastals on Bass Boat Central. Intracoastal boats seem to be popular in Florida.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum