Texas Fishing Forum

Bass not biting during cold front

Posted By: The_Asian_Fisherman

Bass not biting during cold front - 04/13/20 07:59 PM

Hey, so I was fishing at a lake behind my house and saw around 20 bass and none of them wanted to eat, idk if it’s just bad luck or if the cold front is really impacting their feeding behavior. Usually they eat whatever I throw at them. Any guesses to what happened?
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/13/20 08:25 PM

Cold front. When temps drop at these extreme all fishing gets tough.
Posted By: Jawz

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 02:29 AM

Slow down....and when you ask yourself if you're going slow enough.....go even slower
Posted By: Ynot

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 02:56 AM

Welcome The_Asian_Fisherman to TFF
During a cold front bass usually become lethargic, and less willing bite.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 03:43 AM

Thank very small Weenie Worms that float. Very small Shaky Head; so the worm will stand up and keep moving around while at rest. Just let it set there. One will take it.

Second; would be a Sassy Shad for a moving bait to see if they will take a small one at 2.5 inches with open hook out the back.
welcome to the forum.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 04:09 AM

I fished thru the the cold front last week, not the one saturday pm. the day before the storm hit I did only get smaller bites, and lots of tail bites so I had to change baits to get them in the boat... the day of the storm was pretty good with a mix of small fish and good ones, the day after i started thinking it would be small fish only and that is where i started and what i was catching after about the 10th on 14 casts or less I thought hey I need to try for some larger one, then when the sun came out i went to the bank as that water would warm fastest between the grass and shore and had a great day 5-6 lb fish in 2-3 feet of water until I was tired.

I kinda told myself after that maybe the cold fronts effect us more than the fish..

Ive fished in almost all the rain storms except this last one and when there is a lull in the storm they seem to chomp if your in a decent area. When I say chomp i mean fish on each cast of whatever class size is around, can be all 3lb or all 6 lb and it shuts off as fast as it starts. with live scope you can see when they arent all around ya anymore and move and try and find where they went, that part I havent figured out yet..
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 01:27 PM

welcome to TFF cheers
Posted By: Captain Break-Off

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 06:59 PM

Remember this, you could see those bass but they could see you too

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Break-Off
Remember this, you could see those bass but they could see you too

that was my first thought. for the most part in the two clearer lakes Im fishing in e tex Im catch bass at the end of casts, once I see them its a no go....
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/14/20 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I fished thru the the cold front last week, not the one saturday pm. the day before the storm hit I did only get smaller bites, and lots of tail bites so I had to change baits to get them in the boat... the day of the storm was pretty good with a mix of small fish and good ones, the day after i started thinking it would be small fish only and that is where i started and what i was catching after about the 10th on 14 casts or less I thought hey I need to try for some larger one, then when the sun came out i went to the bank as that water would warm fastest between the grass and shore and had a great day 5-6 lb fish in 2-3 feet of water until I was tired.

I kinda told myself after that maybe the cold fronts effect us more than the fish..

Ive fished in almost all the rain storms except this last one and when there is a lull in the storm they seem to chomp if your in a decent area. When I say chomp i mean fish on each cast of whatever class size is around, can be all 3lb or all 6 lb and it shuts off as fast as it starts. with live scope you can see when they arent all around ya anymore and move and try and find where they went, that part I havent figured out yet..

Hay Jeff:
What was the color that you were using during that bad weather? You know I am partial to Orange; especially the blade. Even in small bodies of water the Orange blade on a beetle spin has been a great producer.

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/15/20 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper

Hay Jeff:
What was the color that you were using during that bad weather? You know I am partial to Orange; especially the blade. Even in small bodies of water the Orange blade on a beetle spin has been a great producer.

my boat is full of black and green pumpkin mostly... I threw green pumpkin on the bank for big fish and when i neared a new one day record for my boat I put on a black trick worm shakey head and hit a very small gravel road bed spot I knew about all surrounded by grass and stuck 8 more smalls for a total of 37, a new record for my current boat...

Ive bought some watermelon red as well as tomato and grape for some specific areas which are easily identified by anyone in the know of tx lakes...

wat red east tx and all of tx
tomato fork
grape falcon

Green pumpkin has worked better for me at all of those, but its likely cus I have confidence in it and toss it longer.

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/15/20 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper

Hay Jeff:

Ive thrown a spinner bait about 20 casts since feb 3, one w a orange colorado small blade and copper willow blade has been bit 3-5 times on nacogdoches which is very stained... I fish too much, my arms are shot, I have to get steroid shots every few months and wear arm bands, so I try and fish plastics and slow stuff.. i have all the rods rigged w deep crank etc. but as soon as i catch a fish on any of that stuff I try a plastic out of necessity for longetivity.
Posted By: krthomas2

Re: Bass not biting during cold front - 04/15/20 02:02 AM

Welcome
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum