Texas Fishing Forum

Sweetwater Lake rebound?

Posted By: skeeter61

Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/13/20 01:28 AM

Planning a trip down around the Abilene area. I have to drive 5-6hrs to get there. Has Sweetwater lake every recovered from the golden algae? What about other lakes in that area, are they open to fishing? Thanks
Posted By: texwestern

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/13/20 02:06 AM

Lake Sweetwater was restocked last summer but is not worth fishing right now. Oak creek, ev Spence, and Champion are a few that have some decent fish in them right now. Lake Trammell is close to lake Sweetwater and has some good one but it is a no wake lake.
Posted By: BWG

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/13/20 02:46 AM

Champion is closed
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/13/20 04:14 AM

Oh ivie and Alan henry are the only 2 I'd be going to out west
Posted By: Jwallace

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/13/20 01:18 PM

Check out Lake Fort Phantom Hill just north of Abilene. This time of year it can be pretty good. Media Bass was there beginning of April last year and it took 30 lbs to win, 2nd 22lbs and then several bags over 17 lbs. Lake Coleman and Spence are some more smaller lakes that are about a hour away that are fun to fish.
Posted By: K3913

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/15/20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by texwestern
Lake Sweetwater was restocked last summer but is not worth fishing right now. Oak creek, ev Spence, and Champion are a few that have some decent fish in them right now. Lake Trammell is close to lake Sweetwater and has some good one but it is a no wake lake.

Trammell is filled up and stocked again? Last time I went by there a few years ago, it was a dust bowl.
Posted By: dark water

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/15/20 03:49 PM

Huge hybrids caught in phantom hill in last month or so
Posted By: PanhandleBasser

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/15/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by K3913
Originally Posted by texwestern

Trammell is filled up and stocked again? Last time I went by there a few years ago, it was a dust bowl.

Where do you launch at Trammell? I looked at google earth and didn't see a ramp.
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/17/20 07:22 PM

The ramp at Trammel is under water when the lake is full, everyone launches in the dirt on the opposite end of the dam

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Sweetwater Lake rebound? - 04/23/20 03:03 AM

Lots of good fishing out west. Not just Ivie and Alan Henry.
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum