Texas Fishing Forum

Pistol Grip

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 03:06 PM

Here is a pistol grip for you. My Great Grandfather whittled all the time. I have a rocking chair over 100 years old that he sat in and whittled and there are gashes on the arm where he did his work. This is one of the things he whittled, a pistol grip for a fishing rod.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 03:21 PM

That's bada**!!!
Posted By: COKEMAN

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 03:27 PM

That's pretty cool. I still fish with pistol grips and they are getting harder to find with the action I want. I might have to channel your great-grandpa and try making my own sometime.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 03:39 PM

Yeah Coke I like pistol grips quite a bit for cypress tree fishing and the options are running low! Quick search at bass pro turned up just 2 options.
Bass pro graphite series 6' MH
Berkley lighting rod 6' Med.

I have a couple of the older bass pro bionic blade rods and like them. But no longer made with the pistol grip.

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
Yeah Coke I like pistol grips quite a bit for cypress tree fishing and the options are running low! Quick search at bass pro turned up just 2 options.
Bass pro graphite series 6' MH
Berkley lighting rod 6' Med.

I have a couple of the older bass pro bionic blade rods and like them. But no longer made with the pistol grip.

I have 2 that belonged to my grandfather. This one I posted which the rod has 0 markings, and an old Shimano. Mybson used it the other day to catch his first bed fish with.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 03:47 PM

Cool pics man. Those are awesome finds.

There used to be a nice gentleman named Jennings that hand carved handles & made rods. He called his rods "Jennwood"

He would come to the tackle shop I worked at and demo his rods. He carried a wood file in his back pocket. He would hand one of his rods to you and then pull out his wood file and round off the areas you didn't like while you stood there talking to him. When he was done customizing the handle to suit you he would ask you to hold it. He would have you place the tip of the rod touching his throat and say, "Can you feel the vibrations of my voice through the handle?"

He was a truly nice man & a great salesman.
Posted By: 95champ

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 07:20 PM

Think i used to see him at the FORT WORTH BOAT SHOW 25 or 30 years ago. I remember him putting the rod tip to his throat. Cool ,havent thought about that in a while.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 10:17 PM

That's excellent!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

There used to be a nice gentleman named Jennings that hand carved handles & made rods. He called his rods "Jennwood"

He would come to the tackle shop I worked at and demo his rods. He carried a wood file in his back pocket. He would hand one of his rods to you and then pull out his wood file and round off the areas you didn't like while you stood there talking to him. When he was done customizing the handle to suit you he would ask you to hold it. He would have you place the tip of the rod touching his throat and say, "Can you feel the vibrations of my voice through the handle?"

Met the same guy at US Sports about a hundred years ago(or 35+). Cool sales pitch. I held the hard wooden handle while he jammed the tip to his throat. I could absolutely “feel” him talking. The disappointment was when I got home and realized I could feel the “voice vibrations” with my Lighting Rods too! Also was disappointed to find out there was no such thing as a “Jennwood” tree! Couldn’t “Google it” back then! laugh Think anyone else on here has a clue what we are talking about? Thanks for that “blast from the past”!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Originally Posted by Ken A.

Met the same guy at US Sports about a hundred years ago(or 35+). Cool sales pitch. I held the hard wooden handle while he jammed the tip to his throat. I could absolutely “feel” him talking. The disappointment was when I got home and realized I could feel the “voice vibrations” with my Lighting Rods too! Also was disappointed to find out there was no such thing as a “Jennwood” tree! Couldn’t “Google it” back then! laugh Think anyone else on here has a clue what we are talking about? Thanks for that “blast from the past”!

Yes he got around to all the tackle shows & boat shows. Nice gentleman.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 11:36 PM

That is such a cool heirloom , I have quite a bit of fishing gear, hunting gear and guns from both my Grandfathers and my Dad. I don't have much from a GREAT Grandfather.

Thanks for sharing!

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/10/20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
That is such a cool heirloom , I have quite a bit of fishing gear, hunting gear and guns from both my Grandfathers and my Dad. I don't have much from a GREAT Grandfather.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm lucky, have the other great grandfathers 16 gauge he was issued during WWI.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
That's bada**!!!
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 03:15 AM

That hand carved pistol grip from your grandfather is quite special

All the ones I had broke except just one that I use more for pond fishing and spinner bait fishing .
Some may recognize this old rod brand from Fort Worth.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 03:24 AM

Skyline Graphite?
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Champion 221 Elite
Skyline Graphite?

Yes Sir ! Skyline. Still catches fish. thumb
Posted By: cob

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 03:49 AM

Still have 2 of the original Lews Speed Sticks from the early 70’s. Wife used them with Garcia 290 push button reels still on them.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 04:10 AM

Still have several pistols grips from the good old days but none of them are carved out of wood! cheers
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 12:51 PM

Not a fan of using pistol grip rods anymore...but that is one hell of a creation. I'd pair that with a custom rod and hang that in the man cave.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 03:09 PM

What a great piece to have. Shadowbox material for sure.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 03:37 PM

I really miss the old pistol grip rods. I never thought about it much but I have a cnc and might just have to make me a few abd attach to a couple of rods.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 07:32 PM

Very cool!
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/11/20 07:49 PM

I still have a pistol grip in my boat at all times! LOL! But im old and set in my ways! I use it for topwaters only because the handle doesnt get in the way when Im walking or popping. It works great! But I do get some funny looks at the ramp or fishing with new partners when they see it! But I dont care it works for me!
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: Pistol Grip - 04/12/20 01:11 AM

I got a pistol grip loomis gl2 that I use around boat docks. Little easier for me
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum