Texas Fishing Forum

Replica bass from photo

Posted By: learnin to fish

Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 08:45 PM

I caught the biggest bass in my life about a year and a half ago. I weighed it but didn’t take the time to measure it to get a replica made before I released it. I was wondering if it was possible to make a replica based on a photo. Weight is 10.88 lbs.

[Linked Image]

Please let me know if y’all have any ideas.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 08:52 PM

Yes you can get a replica. Just send the picture and tell the taxidermist how much it weighed. From the picture, they will estimate the length/girth ratio for a 10.88 pound fish. The mount will not be exact, but if you have a good taxidermist it will be very close and nobody will notice.

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:11 PM

Do you have someone you would recomend?
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:19 PM

Unfortunately, it has been so long since I have had a fish mounted, that I do not have a good recommendation. A good replica mount has a great deal to do with the painting, so I would do some research and look at a taxidermist's mount pictures before I picked one. Some of it is just personal preference. Prices vary greatly and expensive is not always better. I am sure you will get a lot of recommendations from this post very soon lol.

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:25 PM

Thanks for the information.
Posted By: MATTSUEY

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:39 PM

Lake Fork taxidermy, AWESOME replicas!
Posted By: BassnJAK

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:42 PM

+1 for Lake Fork Taxidermy. they did a great one for me.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by MATTSUEY
Lake Fork taxidermy, AWESOME replicas!

thumb
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:55 PM

What the guys said above about estimating it is good but you can also try to grid the picture with some photo editing software to come up with an estimated length which you can then back into the girth since you have the weight. Most taxidermist forms just use the length and approximate weight of the fish anyways then go from there. Seeing as you are from Waco, I would try to find the guy that used to paint for Fish Scales Taxidermy. They did my only DD for me and it was absolutely amazing work and I never had any of the issues some others did on communications.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:55 PM

Nice Fish
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 09:58 PM

do a very thorough search as some taxidermists have a bad rep. I for one am not a fan of the mass produced ones. walk around a bps and you'll see why.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/09/20 10:29 PM

First of all, great fish!

Secondly, they don't need measurements to create a good replica. Any reputable taxidermist will have multiple molds for a 10-11 pound bass

Thirdly, all taxidermists are artists (PM me if you need to know what I mean by that)

Fourthly, a replica is just a visual reminder of the fish & the memory you made catching her kind of like a plaque or trophy. IMO, it doesn't need to be the same exact measurements as your fish.
Posted By: Blackcoal

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/10/20 12:11 AM

Another vote for Lake Fork Taxidermy....reasonable pricing, shipped to my home in a very very well packaged box and did an awesome job with the detail...
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/10/20 01:54 AM

Takes a while but well worth the wait for quality. Lake Fork Taxidermy
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Replica bass from photo - 04/10/20 02:43 AM

Bryan Russell. Anglers Choice Replicas. He has done several for me and they all turned out FANTASTIC! His number is (904) 716-7048. thumb

side Note: Nice fish. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum