Texas Fishing Forum

Hydrilla maintenance

Posted By: dillydilly24

Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:22 AM

What are yalls recommendations for keeping it under control. My little lake is overrun with it to the point a frog is about all you can throw. Don’t want it gone, just managed. The water in that picture is about 7 foot deep for reference.

Attached picture 0674A387-0E7B-4679-A9D4-6BC8D6A503F3.jpeg
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:26 AM

Are you sure that is hydrilla? Doesn't look like it to me.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:28 AM

Be careful. That’s some beautiful water!

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:28 AM

I was under the impression I have a mix of coontail, milfoil and hydrilla. Not sure though. Figured the solution is going to be the same for all 3.

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:30 AM

It’s an awesome lake, 10 foot clarity, but from spring to fall you throw anything that dives more than a foot you’re going to pull up 10 pounds of whatever that is.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:37 AM

10 foot clarity is NOT awesome! You are severely lacking in nutrients and plankton in that water. Go study some farm pond references. One reason the vegetation is so bad is BECAUSE you have that unhealthy visibility.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:37 AM

I would love to get in there. No problems with pulling up anything. You have to get off shore. How big is it??
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:39 AM

you could buy some Aquashade.

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:41 AM

My best 5 went for about 25 today so not all is lost.... I’m fully aware that I have a problem, that’s why I made the post asking for help....

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:42 AM

Almost 20 acres. I can sit in the middle of the lake and throw a 6xd and pull up that stuff every cast.

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:45 AM

I’ll look into it thanks.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:47 AM

Watching this. Building a pond right now and trying to decide what types of vegetation to put in it.

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:48 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:51 AM

I’m somewhat of an expert in aquaculture. Maybe I need access to your little lake so I can make some recommendations to you. laugh 5 for 25 and all on frogs? I’m in!
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 03:33 AM

It all depends on the amount of money you want to spend. They have chemicals that only kill the stuff hitting the surface, they have chemicals that are pelletized that sink to the bottom and kill it where it sinks, they have chemicals that kill from top to bottom, etc. You can get the pellets and distribute with a spreader in the areas you want it gone. Start small and work your way up.

You only want to kill a little at a time or you will create an oxygen problem with the dead vegetation.

With 20 acres, you can put the non-reproducing grass carp in and use chemicals to play with the balance you want to achieve. I put 50 carp in a 10 acre pond I have and they couldn't control the brushy pond weed I have. My next step is to buy chemicals and more carp.

If you have a lot of flow through that lake, your carp will swim over the spillway and follow the current, so you might want to put a fence across the spillway to keep the bigger carp in the lake.

There is a lot that goes into maintenance of private lake if you want it to be optimal. Water PH and fertilization also need to be considered. :-)
Posted By: basshustler

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 05:19 AM

Get with your county AG agent. They can help you with a pond management program. They had a seminar with a speaker from Texas A & M on aquaculture and how to maintain your pond. Talked about fertilizing the water to get the algae to bloom to cut down on water clarity and on maintaining your different water weed growth. Very interesting all of the things you need to do to maintain it and manage it correctly.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 01:39 PM

I wonder if you could take a piece of chain link and tie some cinder blocks to it and tow it around the bottom of the lake and tare up the plants. You could create lanes and points and great spots to fish. I am sure it will grow in but you could do it yearly for just some time and just a little boat gas money.

BTW I have no experience with pond management, just an idea.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 01:43 PM

We have a similar issue with one of our ponds and I am going to add some triploid carp. I forget the ratio but for this 8 acre tank, it's only something like 20 carp if I recall the permit I filed.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:09 PM

I woudl give Bob Lusk a call over at PondBoss.com. Reading through his FB postings is very educational. He is based in East Texas and definatly knows his stuff.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:15 PM

We put in a few triploid grass carp . DO NOT FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT. Stock about 1/10th what is recommended
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 02:32 PM

Yes, I'd put only one in there and see what happens.
Hopefully, only one will not figure out how to self replicate.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 03:52 PM

Hey Dilly,

The bulk of what I see in that photo is coontail with some strands of hydrilla.

Grass carp are by far the most cost effective method on coontail and hydrilla but coontail is not one of their preferred plants, and they probably won't do much at all to milfoil. The magic number for control without elimination is notoriously difficult to hit. It'll probably be somewhere between 5 and 10 grass carp per vegetated acre. I'd try 3 per vegetated acre to start and add aquatic dye (aquashade is a popular brand name) right now to slow down the growth of whats already in there. The carp won't have any effect on plant abundance this year, but you should see some difference next year because they'll be in there and eating it when it first emerges in the spring. If you don't see improvement by next summer, add 2 more grass carp per vegetated acre / year until you start seeing control. Once they're in there, you won't get them out for 7 to 10 years so be conservative with grass carp stocking. Remember to get your permit for triploid grass carp.

Dye won't stop growth in water shallower than 3 feet but it'll help in the deeper water. Application instructions are brand-specific and they're printed on the product label. You'll probably need to reapply a time or two the rest of the year to maintain the dye. You can stop applying it in the late fall as the plants naturally recede. Start applying the dye again in December-January to reduce growth from the beginning.

Chemicals are the fastest option and you can spot-treat with some of them to just kill off areas you want clear. Those three plant species are common nuisances so there are several chemical options. Call your county Extension office or Todd Sink at Texas A&M for guidance on chemicals, each state has its own rules (I work in Arkansas, don't want to guide you wrong). If you go with a contact chemical, only treat 1/3 or so of the pond, wait two weeks, then treat the next section because those chemicals break down plants quickly and can cause oxygen depletion and fish kills if you do too much at once.

The chain dragging method LakeForkGroupie mentioned is actually not that far-fetched. You can build an apparatus like that or buy a weed cutter you could drag behind the boat to cut down the stems. Like he figured, it's a short-term fix (probably in the order of weeks) as those plants grow quickly and both coontail and hydrilla can spread by stem fragments. So, it could spread the plants to unvegetated parts of the pond if you have some, or make the vegetated areas even more dense. If the whole pond is vegetated then it probably won't make much difference

Don't put fertilizer in this pond until the plants are mostly, if not completely, gone. Fertilizer at this point would just make the rooted plants way worse. You might be able to get away with an early spring fertilization IF the water chemistry is in order to allow a plankton bloom. Otherwise the fertilizer will just boost the rooted plant growth.

Would be a good idea to get a water analysis done to see why the water is clear. It may be a nutrient thing, it may be a pH thing. A water test would answer some questions and focus your appropriate treatments.

Alternatively, you can hire a pond management company. There are several great options in Texas. They can seem kinda expensive if you just look at the bill, but instead of learning all this mess and trying it yourself and potentially doing something wrong, possibly killing fish it took 10 years to grow, you can say "here's some money, fix it" and your job is done. If you do your homework and get guidance from the A&M Fisheries Extension staff, you can do this on your own, it's just a bit of a hassle to keep up with.

- Scott
Posted By: JWalls

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 04:19 PM

There is a cutter you can throw out and cut grass short to make awesome casting lanes. Wind will have to blow it out of your way and requires more maintenance but I think it would be worth it. They have different models this is first one I found.

Aquatic Weed Cutter

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 04:23 PM

Awesome. I appreciate it. Thanks for all the input guys. Once I get it cleaned up I want to stock it with some Florida’s. I don’t remember the company but they offer 1-3 inch and 6-8 inch. I know a very minute amount of the 1-3 inch would survive, ball park what do y’all think would be the survival rate of the 6-8 inch? I was just guessing 20 percent?
Posted By: JWalls

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 09:16 PM

This guy is very sharp. Small family fish farm. Handles vegetation issue and stocking.

https://www.southwestaquatic.com/fish-stocking/

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 09:27 PM

Years ago I used Dunn’s Fish Farm to stock a pond on my property. Found them very reasonable compared to others. They make regular deliveries at feed stores all over the state. Saves on shipping/delivery. Good luck on your new hobby! http://www.dunnsfishfarm.com/
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by dillydilly24
Awesome. I appreciate it. Thanks for all the input guys. Once I get it cleaned up I want to stock it with some Florida’s. I don’t remember the company but they offer 1-3 inch and 6-8 inch. I know a very minute amount of the 1-3 inch would survive, ball park what do y’all think would be the survival rate of the 6-8 inch? I was just guessing 20 percent?

Your guess is probably a fair one Dilly. Research I've read on year-1 survival of advanced fingerlings (6-8 inches) can be anywhere from 0 - 40%; lots of variables at play on that figure. I've seen several studies on cost-effectiveness leaning towards the 4 inch size class but there's a lot of variability in some of that work too. The advanced fingerlings are several times more expensive per fish than the smaller size class, so it might start getting cost prohibitive depending on how big the pond is and how many you ultimately stock.

I'd caution you on how heavily you stock the Florida's because it sounds like you already have a pretty good bass crop going now; adding more will reduce growth especially in the mid-size fish and some in the large sizes unless you also stock more forage as bluegills or even tilapia. Since you're not starting over from scratch, I'd suggest looking at your Florida stocking like the state does for the public reservoirs; you're trying to introduce the Florida genetics to the population, not so much replace the bass that are already in there. So, all you need to do is get enough Florida's in there long enough to spawn with the existing fish to slowly increase the frequency of Florida characteristics without overloading the system with more mouths than it can support. Possibly adding X number of Florida's each year to keep fresh genetics coming in. Just food for thought.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by JWalls
There is a cutter you can throw out and cut grass short to make awesome casting lanes. Wind will have to blow it out of your way and requires more maintenance but I think it would be worth it. They have different models this is first one I found.

Aquatic Weed Cutter

I have used similar tools. it really does well on cat tails or tulies. I will add it is VERY labor intensive. what ever gets cut decays if not removed. I used to wear a wet suit and remove bundles by hand to the shore, then into a wheel barrow and then again into a truck bed. oh, then I had to dump it.

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 11:23 PM

Right on, thank yall

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/09/20 11:30 PM

Great info
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 12:01 AM

You need to use the TPWD method of "control". Use 10 times more carp than any sane person would. In no time, you will see Lake Conroe/Lake Austin types of control.

BTW - do you have an HOA that could pay for those carp?

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 05:23 AM

More of you guys need to start bowfishing when you’re not bassin like I do.....

[Linked Image]

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 05:24 AM

Over 2000# of rough fish in 4 hrs from Whitney...
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
you could buy some Aquashade.

+1 stuff works

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 06:51 AM

Aqua shade definitely works, we used it to kill moss in my granddad’s stock tanks all the time. Of course your water will be a deep blue like you find in a port o potty....
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 11:10 AM

When I was a kid we had a house on a lake. One year the hydrilla just showed up. It grew so thick under the boat drop that we couldn't launch it.

We waded out with rakes and filled a canoe with the weeds, then dumped the weeds in the bonfire pit.
It worked for a few months at a time.

We kept it up, and over the next few years we noticed the plants quit growing in the small spot we cleared. They were still thick as heck everywhere else.

So maybe the chain drag isn't too bad of an idea.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 12:35 PM

Recomend racking it up and placi g in wet burlap bags. Dispose of those bags in random North Texas lakes as needed
Posted By: Stew

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/10/20 08:35 PM

https://www.envirodredge.com/
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Hydrilla maintenance - 04/11/20 07:36 PM

flipping stick
1-1/4oz Tungsten wt
70 lb Daiwa Samurai Braid
Snelled Trokar tk130 hook
Flipping bait of your choice
……..that's all you need to fish that pond/lake
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum