Texas Fishing Forum

FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN

Posted By: Okie Poke

FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 01:15 PM

The lakes that I've been fishing are about as unpredictable as catching the coronavirus. One day great, the next stinky. Rising water and now drawdowns have had the fish in funky town. You had better get out today or tomorrow, because the 2nd wave of spawn is fixing to blow up. Full moon is tonight. Some of theses big girls have got to do their thing. Then, it's a 30 degree swing in temps on Thursday. Hi Wed is 93, forecast for Thursday is high of 63 and rain. We gotta catch 'em when they're up, so get out there and practice your social distancing and pull a big female off her bed. Just don't pull her by the hair! bolt
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 01:20 PM

I've always been a skeptic of the whole "moon makes them spawn" deal. Only part of that theory that makes any sense to me is that its bright enough for them to spawn/move up at night, and that's only if the nights are warm enough.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 01:25 PM

Too busy at work or that's where I'd be.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 03:28 PM

Let's say this does move a big wave of fish up into the shallows. Does that equate to more fish in the boat or just more fish in the shallows? Are they aggressive or are their singularly focused and looking for a mate or bed? I know we're not talking 100% exacts and certainties but I'm curious as to what this means in terms of catching or not catching.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 03:34 PM

During pre-spawn/spawn I have found the large females that are suspending and/or roaming just outside the spawning beds are the most difficult fish in the system to catch. When then full moon cycle beckons them to move up they become discernibly easier to catch. Just my experience.

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1bassdaddy
During pre-spawn/spawn I have found the large females that are suspending and/or roaming just outside the spawning beds are the most difficult fish in the system to catch. When then full moon cycle beckons them to move up they become discernibly easier to catch. Just my experience.

Tru-dat.There is a window when they have to lock on. That time may vary a lot on how long it takes to release their eggs and either guard or move on, but I have seen it too many times that the full moon helps this along, especially toward the last wave of spawning phase. Just my opinion, though....
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 04:35 PM

I think we are hitting the late stage spawners. But I have noticed more big girls being caught. not necessarily more numbers, but definitely more big girls.

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
I think we are hitting the late stage spawners. But I have noticed more big girls being caught. not necessarily more numbers, but definitely more big girls.

You need to get outta East Fork, dude, and start social distancing like the rest of us. In all the years that I've lived here (20), I've never seen spawn end sooner than the end of April...and it's usually into the first couple of weeks of May. Are you sharing at East Fork?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 05:41 PM

Moon only matters if everything else is ideal....
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 07:38 PM

I didn't need a lot selling Tom, but SOLD on going in the AM. Decisions decisions...LL vs EM
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke

You need to get outta East Fork, dude, and start social distancing like the rest of us. In all the years that I've lived here (20), I've never seen spawn end sooner than the end of April...and it's usually into the first couple of weeks of May. Are you sharing at East Fork?

We're rockin beds over here at East Fork
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 09:39 PM

Watched a cruiser eat my frog sunday and saw several more
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/07/20 11:12 PM

2nd wave?

Seems more like a constant wave to me.

Saw fry feb 3 and still see fry balls today and lots and lots of bass in between. Feb 3 I saw Fry 2” up to 5”.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
2nd wave?

Saw fry feb 3 and still see fry balls today and lots and lots of bass in between. Feb 3 I saw Fry 2” up to 5”.

Where did you see fry February third?

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
2nd wave?

Where did you see fry February third?

pinkston and beds almost all the way around it

fry on kurth 3 days later, 2-3 and 5" the 3 and 5" were up under pad leafs and would skitter away as you neared. beds there also pretty thick
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 01:03 AM

thumb

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 02:29 AM

5" fry aren't from this year
Posted By: toofy

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 03:16 AM

I'm curious to know what science is available to say the moon phase matters. "My daddy said so" and "I caught my personal best on a fool moon" doesn't count.

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 03:59 AM

I've never seen the moon trigger spawning. If the water temps aren't right, the moon has little effect. Now if the temps are right and stable, then maybe it increases the push I don't know. But if it's February and 54 degree water, they ain't spawning. But if it's February and a slow warming trend into water temps holding around 60-62, that moon don't matter either. They on the bank
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 11:02 AM

LOL, y’all are killing me....I drove by there yesterday and thought “wonder how the big girls are handling the social distancing”....

We're rockin beds over here at East Fork

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

The clouds of fry and up to 2” are from this year.

And I’m guessing the 3” are from Nov ish and 5 are from very late last year.

Point is you got spawn almost non stop here.

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

The clouds of fry and up to 2” are from this year.

And I’m guessing the 3” are from Nov ish and 5 are from very late last year.

Point is you got spawn almost non stop here.

I'll agree to that. I've pulled up a shallow clump of grass and brush in Rayburn in late September before that had 2" bass in it. They were definitely late summer fish.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 01:26 PM

I'm more excited about catching them post-spawn....when they're really on the feed bag.

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fish2222
I'm more excited about catching them post-spawn....when they're really on the feed bag.

That’s every am in the right spot right now.
Posted By: speedcrawler

Re: FULL MOON MEANS FULL BLOWN SPAWN - 04/08/20 04:27 PM

Obviously several factors play into it and moon phase is one. I've been fishing a local pond the last couple of weeks since the boat ramps are limited and packed and yesterday the fish were on the move shallow. Never saw them up shallow like that over last couple weeks until yesterday. Heard 3 days before and after full moon are prime days. Not sure what water temp is in the pond but guessing mid to high 60's, maybe 70.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum