Texas Fishing Forum

Zapata County Ramp Closure

Posted By: NoWeighers

Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 03:23 PM

The Zapata County Commissioners decided this AM to close the entire County Park, including the boat ramp, here in Zapata. I know many other places have closed before us..

I have heard of no State Park Closure of launching facilities as of yet..

I am not sure of other ramps like Beacon or Tiger Island, but CC did not address private ramps.

Will advise if/when/as things change..

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 04:00 PM

I got clarification on edict.. All boat ramps in Zapata County are to be closed..

So if you were planning on fishing Falcon.....

So far no word on State Park ramp.. Working on it..
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 04:17 PM

I would be highly surprised if a state park closed.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 04:27 PM

So lets close a bunch of launches, leave one open, so fishermen can congregate at the 1 open launch.

Closing boat launches is so stupid. About the best place anybody can be right now is on the lake.

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
So lets close a bunch of launches, leave one open, so fishermen can congregate at the 1 open launch.

Closing boat launches is so stupid. About the best place anybody can be right now is on the lake.

Not to mention doesn't even have a legit ramp. Have you launch off a rock point.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 04:47 PM

Make sure and make these elected officials famous when it comes time to be re-elected for keeping us safe by closing a boat ramp.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by NoWeighers
I got clarification on edict.. All boat ramps in Zapata County are to be closed..

So far no word on State Park ramp.. Working on it.

James, for the most part State Parks remain open including Falcon State Park. Closed to day use only and you must reserve your day passes online (even if you have a park pass) before your visit, as they are not taking payments on-site.

https://texasstateparks.reserveamer...63740151.1586193018-746098179.1586193018

Debra smile
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Make sure and make these elected officials famous when it comes time to be re-elected for keeping us safe by closing a boat ramp.

Yep.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by Chris B

Yep.

X2
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 05:57 PM

These aren't State Parks but I can tell you that the FCWD closed Walleye Park 3 days ago (largest park by far) and banned camping at any location. The boat ramps remain open. Guessing they have a liability concern around people camping around each other and using the bathroom facilities.

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 06:19 PM

I hear thru the grapevine, because you can't speak to anyone in charge, or anyone at all at the state park for that matter, that the state park will remain open.

We'll see..

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 06:23 PM

I hear thru the grapevine, because you can't speak to anyone in charge, or anyone at all at the state park for that matter, that the state park will remain open.

We'll see..

James below is the link to check for closures

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks-map

Debra smile

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 06:40 PM

Thanks Debra..

I get that they have a site for this purpose.. But would like to know what they are thinking.. They could just as easily say tomorrow that the park is closed..

This area is different, as you all know.. Often on Easter there are two thousand people or more at the state park.

Maybe they intend to leave it open.. But I would like to know for sure so I could give folks a heads up if they were intending to come down.. And I know some folks are/were..

My phone ringer has worn out..
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
I would be highly surprised if a state park closed.

Martin Creek state park closed

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 07:15 PM

Thanks Debra..

I get that they have a site for this purpose.. But would like to know what they are thinking.. They could just as easily say tomorrow that the park is closed..

This area is different, as you all know.. Often on Easter there are two thousand people or more at the state park.

Maybe they intend to leave it open.. But I would like to know for sure so I could give folks a heads up if they were intending to come down.. And I know some folks are/were..

My phone ringer has worn out..

You are so welcome my friend. Yes I totally get what you are referring to and right now all of this is a very fluid situation down to minute by minute. TP&W is keeping that site up to date and or publishing news. We will all be for the better on the other side of this, and the fall will be jam packed with tournaments and events.

BTW all ramps are closed on Medina just so you know for your travels if you are headed north for Easter

Debra smile
Posted By: 361V

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/06/20 08:27 PM

And I thought that me fishing at Falcon was the definition of “Social Distancing”. Clearly there’s guys smarter than I.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 12:30 AM

The Zapata County Commissioners decided this AM to close the entire County Park, including the boat ramp, here in Zapata. I know many other places have closed before us..

I am not sure of other ramps like Beacon or Tiger Island, but CC did not address private ramps.

'

Beacon is a public launch, their permit gives them control of 12' total on that ramp for their dock... I posted the official letter last year stating this on here.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

'

Beacon is a public launch, their permit gives them control of 12' total on that ramp for their dock... I posted the official letter last year stating this on here.

The last I checked Jeff Beacon ramp was in Zapata County........

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by RCarter

'

Um yeah so whats that got to do with my post? 12 feet of it is private.... the rest is core property or whatever the letter I posted said, i dont remember anymore if its core or county or whatever.

Also, I was just reminding people that its a public access ramp, NOBODY needs to pay....
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 01:06 AM

Dang I was planning on going down there Easter weekend. Even planned on sleeping on the boat if I had to.

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 01:08 AM

state park closed apr 9-14

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 02:00 AM

'

Um yeah so whats that got to do with my post? 12 feet of it is private.... the rest is core property or whatever the letter I posted said, i dont remember anymore if its core or county or whatever.

Also, I was just reminding people that its a public access ramp, NOBODY needs to pay....

Public or Not according to James it is Closed.....duh!
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 03:38 AM

You can’t even out run stupid.

Lol
Posted By: buda13

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 12:41 PM

How many covid cases in Zapata county?

I get where they are coming from... easiest way to get community spread is to have a bunch of folks from the populated cities coming to your area. The stay at home order thankfully still let’s us fish, but I don’t think their intent was to still have people driving 4-8 hours to go somewhere, stay a few days, and fish. If you live near Zapata I’m darn sorry your ramp is closed. If you were still planning on traveling there despite the stay home order you are part of the problem that will cause these restrictions to be put in place for a longer period of time.

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 02:00 PM

I know James started this post about the County Ramp, but Falcon State Park was mentioned in this post .

FYI Falcon State Park will temporarily close today Tuesday April 7th at 5pm due to COVID-19

Debra smile

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/07/20 08:56 PM

Not gonna be a lot of water left to fish when it is reopened.....lake dropping fast and at it's lowest level since August 2012!
Posted By: El Lobo

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/08/20 02:05 AM

A few years back by some oversight a bass tournament got scheduled for Falcon on Easter weekend !! Well , sat was a non issue with practice, dinner ,etc. It was a trailerable tourn. so we went south to the state park. It opened at 6:00 but we decided to beat the crowd and got there about 5:00 AM------WRONG MOVE-----Cars and boats were lined up all the way back to Falcon Heights and back up towards the highway---- And heard it was always like that on Easter !!! Took an hour or more to get to ramp after we were in line!!!! QUESTION---- With the present situation this country's in ; why would anybody with any sense of safety or common sense for that matter take their family or themselves to Falcon or any other lake for that matter!! They shut it down for good reasons!!!! To protect people from themselves!! HERE'S YOUR SIGN !
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/08/20 02:27 AM

4x4 launching on points... Done that a few times

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/08/20 04:22 AM

Heard a couple of them 4x4 boys got stuck today lol.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/08/20 04:48 AM

We’ve finally gotten some much needed rain down here and it’s messy right now.

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/08/20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Barrett
Heard a couple of them 4x4 boys got stuck today lol.

Heard that too and saw some pics. It'll be dry in no time lol

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/09/20 02:14 AM

Civil Liberties out the door at this point!

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/11/20 10:25 PM

Well I don’t know who they were, where they came from, or where they launched from but there were two bass boats out there today.

Saturday, April 11th
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/11/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tommar
Well I don’t know who they were, where they came from, or where they launched from but there were two bass boats out there today.

Saturday, April 11th

Launched off the bank smirk
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/12/20 02:50 AM

Mexican boats

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/12/20 03:59 AM

Yup if you know someone who has lake access from their property I don't see why you couldn't launch with a 4x4, tractor, etc.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/12/20 04:46 AM

Civil Liberties out the door at this point!

Civil Liberties - the state of being subject only to laws established for the good of the community, especially with regard to freedom of action and speech.

Re: Zapata County Ramp Closure - 04/12/20 04:02 PM

These weren’t typical Mexican fishermen. They were nice bass boats.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum