Texas Fishing Forum

Which one?

Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Which one? - 04/03/20 09:22 PM

If you could only fish Sam Rayburn or Toledo Bend the rest of your life which would it be and why? I have never fished either and want to so am trying to get a feel for why people prefer one over the other. Thanks.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Which one? - 04/03/20 11:14 PM

Sam, cause it has grass and the Deer Stand.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Which one? - 04/03/20 11:34 PM

Rayburn. Fewer immigrants
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Which one? - 04/03/20 11:37 PM

Sam Rayburn for me.. that’s why I moved there. I love the fishing! Bass, crappie, cats, whites. All awesome. My favorite part is the national forest that surrounds it. Woods everywhere! Deer, eagles, ducks, otters, wildlife of all kinds. You are watching wildlife while fishing, not people in their yards or on their docks. My favorite place to be!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Which one? - 04/03/20 11:48 PM

Rayburn, no contest. For all of the reasons mentioned above as well as navigation in poor weather is a heck of a lot easier.
Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Re: Which one? - 04/03/20 11:49 PM

Ok you may have sold me. Well said. Thanks.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Which one? - 04/03/20 11:50 PM

I love TB but I would pick Rayburn if I only had 1.
Posted By: saibling

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 12:36 AM

Sam Rayburn, no contest.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by saibling
Sam Rayburn, no contest.

it's like the cali delta, you can fish it for years and never see it all.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
Sam Rayburn, no contest.

I spent several years fishing the Delta while working in California. Amazing fishing! I caught 6 over 10 lbs the first year.
I love the fishing! But the boat traffic scare the [censored] out of me! Crazy people with huge boats, not the fishermen. The party cruiser types. No respect for others! Surprised more people don’t get killed out there. Fishing was really cool especially in the winter time.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 10:51 AM

never been on Big Sam so I'd have to say TB
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 12:16 PM

Really depends on if you want lakefront with a dock. If so, TB is your lake. Thousands of camps on the water and some pretty cheap if you look around. Rayburn is a corps lake so no permanent structures below the take line. Basically nothing in the water. Personally I like Rayburn, grew up on it and I like the clean shorelines knowing it won't be cluttered up with ran down rotting docks.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
Originally Posted by senko9S
Sam Rayburn, no contest.

I spent several years fishing the Delta while working in California. Amazing fishing! I caught 6 over 10 lbs the first year.
I love the fishing! But the boat traffic scare the [censored] out of me! Crazy people with huge boats, not the fishermen. The party cruiser types. No respect for others! Surprised more people don’t get killed out there. Fishing was really cool especially in the winter time.

whats really cool is when a tanker ship comes through and the amount of what it displaces. water level changes a couple feet in seconds, hydrilla goes from vertical to horizontal, then flips the other direction as they pass. running next to them is a trip...
eeks

sadly its not what it used to be. people think Texas is bad about spraying grass; they have hundreds of spray boats
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by RATZ
never been on Big Sam so I'd have to say TB

If you ever went your choice wouldn’t be TB.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
I love TB but I would pick Rayburn if I only had 1.

Same for me, went two weeks ago, one day at Toledo and two at Sam.
Caught more fish at Toledo but still rather go to Big Sam if I only had one.
Posted By: D1988

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 02:54 PM

I'm 53 and have fished big Sam my entire life. There is always something new you find or see. The fishing came be amazing.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Which one? - 04/04/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 04champ
Rayburn. Fewer immigrants

Rayburn. Fewer immigrants Cajuns .

There, fixed it for you. wink
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum